• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Mind you, while THD+N on these is top-notch, dynamic range is a bit short of SOTA - it's getting rather crowded around 120 dB these days, even in the world of USB dongles. I wouldn't mind seeing what they can do with an ES9028PRO in 8-to-2 mode or perhaps a few CS43198s. Getting around 130 dB(A) of DR might see them being able to ditch half of their analog ref level settings (keeping two like +8 and +20 dBu). Fewer relays in the signal path can only be good for long-term reliability.

Mark Dirac

Yep. The only reason to wait for a new model is to get the current model cheaper during off sales.
I would suggest to dash out and buy the ADI-2 DAC FS Version 2 now, whilst it is still available and before it is replaced by a v3. Because ... if/when a v3 is introduced, there are bound to be some bugs or teething problems. I am finding that hardware is becoming just a little like software - release a product and then test it sufficiently thoroughly to be able to correct quirks. I will no longer buy any hardware within six months of its introduction.

Veri

Master Contributor
I would suggest to dash out and buy the ADI-2 DAC FS Version 2 now, whilst it is still available and before it is replaced by a v3. Because ... if/when a v3 is introduced, there are bound to be some bugs or teething problems.
That's a little ridiculous. This is RME we're talking about. All they need to do is design around new DAC/ADC parts due to AKM shortages, there's no reason why their excellent hardware/firmware will suddenly take a nosedive, they've got years of experience this is no indiegogo product ..

edahl

I think even if v3 is right around the corner, the used resale value on these things should be pretty damn good.

About v3, just please keep USB recording of optical. If it has 4.4mm balanced too we're in hyper modern territory lol

Mark Dirac

That's a little ridiculous. This is RME we're talking about. All they need to do is design around new DAC/ADC parts due to AKM shortages, there's no reason why their excellent hardware/firmware will suddenly take a nosedive, they've got years of experience this is no indiegogo product ..
Plenty of quirks reported on their forum. Nothing serious. Same with other DACs, phones, PCs ... Don't deny it. Buy a mature version.

JimmyBuckets

RME just raised the price of the ADI-2 DAC...at least here in the U.S.A. Something tells me they aren't too worried about sales or falling behind spec wise. Also, I would suspect that a v3 would also include another price adjustment.

edahl

Can the AD to DA be used to record from LP? Is the AD only A feature included with the Pro version?
The DAC allows you to record from LP via optical if you convert the signal to digital through another device first. Only the Pro can do the conversion for you.

Jonlereux

I purchased the Non pro version; I was wondering what I was missing by not getting the Pro. Seems like sound wise they are very similar however the AD converter and second Dac chip are the two biggest items. I will have to read up on any other differences between the two. Thanks for the reply

roog

Forum Donor
I have the ADI-2 DAC FS and use it as a DAC pre amp directly feeding my Naim NAP300 power amp. it works very well, but for me, the real benefit comes from the simple bass and treble EQ and the 5 band parametric EQ, all accessible from programmable buttons on the remote which I use to counter the more pronounced room acoustic issues that I have. I think it's a brilliant piece of kit, especially when you factor in the reasonable cost in Europe.

I am quite tempted to get the Pro version so that I can connect my turntable to my system.

JimmyBuckets

I have the ADI-2 DAC FS and use it as a DAC pre amp directly feeding my Naim NAP300 power amp. it works very well, but for me, the real benefit comes from the simple bass and treble EQ and the 5 band parametric EQ, all accessible from programmable buttons on the remote which I use to counter the more pronounced room acoustic issues that I have. I think it's a brilliant piece of kit, especially when you factor in the reasonable cost in Europe.

I am quite tempted to get the Pro version so that I can connect my turntable to my system.

I think you would be converting it to digital then back to analog fyi

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think you would be converting it to digital then back to analog fyi
Correct. He has to digitize it, if he wants to employ the room correction.

With RME devices, I seriously doubt there would be much signal degradation due to the additional conversion.
If anything, tying the device into the room correction would improve things.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

You could get something like this to use with the non pro ADI-2 DAC, provided you already have a phono amp and you're not already using both the SPDIF and Toslink inputs:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/lindy_audiokonverter_analog_spdif.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/swissonic_converter_ad_24_192.htm

I'm sure there are fancier, more expensive options, but given how inexpensive it is, it might be worth a shot.

roog

Forum Donor
Thanks for the suggestions, yes I do accept that I would be converting from analogue to digital then back to analogue again. Vinyl is very much a vanity source for me, all about the theatre of putting a record on, I play music from vinyl around 1% of the time. Also, my turntable is 35 years old and is not state of the art.

@Count Arthur, You have got me thinking about external converters, whether it would be worth looking for one with a phono cartridge input/RIAA equalisation/ digital out unit? I assumed that such things were for connecting to a PC to allow ripping of vinyl to HDD?

What do you think, would this be possible? In fact, could the RIAA be done in DSP? Perhaps this would be overkill for me in my system.

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
@Count Arthur, You have got me thinking about external converters, whether it would be worth looking for one with a phono cartridge input/RIAA equalisation/ digital out unit? I assumed that such things were for connecting to a PC to allow ripping of vinyl to HDD?

I don't know whether there is something available with phono in with RIAA EQ and SPDIF/Toslink out, possibly, but it may well be more expensive than having a separate phono to line output in conjunction with a line level anlalogue to SPDIF.

I haven't had a turntable for around 15 years, maybe more. :)

roog

Forum Donor
@Count Arthur you might well be right, I just thought I would explore the possibility. I do currently have a suitable phono stage so I could do as you suggest and get a line level ADC.

I might just give it a go.

Top Bottom