• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably been asked in the 50 pages previous but search isnt showing- did @amirm test the jitter on optical and coax inputs ? I assume if he had and noted anything nasty he would have reported.

ItsFidelity

Since I am considering buying an ADI-2 and connecting to it via optical or coax, I'd be interested in that as well.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Probably been asked in the 50 pages previous but search isnt showing- did @amirm test the jitter on optical and coax inputs ? I assume if he had and noted anything nasty he would have reported.

Amir measured the jitter of one of the S/PDIF inputs in the original review thread for v1 of the ADI-2 DAC: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eview-and-measurements-of-rme-adi-2-dac.2582/ (It's not entirely clear which input he used from the write-up, but Amir clarified it in this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...f-rme-adi-2-pro-comparison-to-adi-2-dac.2682/ )

The jitter performance seems to be identical between USB and S/PDIF inputs, which isn't surprising since it uses a steerable clock (DDS) rather than directly using the clock derived from the receiver IC.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir measured the jitter of one of the S/PDIF inputs in the original review thread for v1 of the ADI-2 DAC: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eview-and-measurements-of-rme-adi-2-dac.2582/ (It's not entirely clear which input he used from the write-up, but Amir clarified it in this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...f-rme-adi-2-pro-comparison-to-adi-2-dac.2682/ )

The jitter performance seems to be identical between USB and S/PDIF inputs, which isn't surprising since it uses a steerable clock (DDS) rather than directly using the clock derived from the receiver IC.

Cheers - I doubted given RME pedigree that there would be much change of a signifcant difference anyway- I sure as hell dont hear one but I do have the option of using USB but Coax is more convenient in my setup. So I shall continue to do so.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I am considering buying an ADI-2 and connecting to it via optical or coax, I'd be interested in that as well.

Exactly why I asked too. I slave it to a streamer via coax but could conceivably connect via USB direct to laptop if there was a huge difference (which I doubted anyway. )

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
There is no difference between Coax and Optical (or USB). I showcased the jitter measurements in my SteadyClock video on YouTube, using the optical input, and other than ASR also with lots of added jitter on it.

Bow_Wazoo

Dreamteam

PSX_20210211_202109.jpg

edahl

Does anyone run a DT 1990 Pro on this thing? I'd be interested in your EQ profile.

Mark Dirac

Thanks, I've actually tried this but the quality factor doesn't actually go to 0.3. Since the B/T settings aren't actually saved in each EQ profile, I'd also prefer settings that didn't rely on them in the actual profile.
I guess most folks are aware of the workaround to be able to save an effective 7 EQ settings if adding the balance filters - and that is to save the entire DAC's settings, rather than merely the PEQ's settings. Clunky but practical.

(Manual section 14.2 for the balance presets, and manual section 13 for the PEQ presets.)

Last edited:

edahl

I guess most folks are aware of the workaround to be able to save an effective 7 EQ settings if adding the balance filters - and that is to save the entire DAC's settings, rather than merely the PEQ's settings. Clunky but practical.

(Manual section 14.2 for the balance presets, and manual section 13 for the PEQ presets.)
At first glance it's an unsatisfying solution, but it's worth considering to be sure. Thanks!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@MC_RME would it be possible to build a new firmware that assigns the bass and treble knobs to a 6th and 7th PEQ filters, and save both to the presets along with the other 5 PEQs? This would be a lot more convenient for everyone. Thanks in advance!

eliash

There is no difference between Coax and Optical (or USB). I showcased the jitter measurements in my SteadyClock video on YouTube, using the optical input, and other than ASR also with lots of added jitter on it.

Btw. How about sending an ADI-2 fs for eval to Amir, e. g. the defective one I received from the first production batch. I guess IMM has fíxed the fault in the meantime...and it still may have these nice aluminum feet mounted (by myself);)...

ninetylol

Hello @MC_RME,
Im a student from germany currently saving up for a RME ADI-2 DAC FS. I was just wondering if there is a new generation V3 (AKM 4497?) in the works before i drop all savings on this. Im working hard for this at the moment and want my investion to be future proof for some time :)

All The best,
Michael

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
We don't talk about future units. But I can tell you that you missed the AKM news, otherwise it would be clear to you that a new unit with AKM converters at this time is very unlikely. And that is most probably true for most manufacturers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Aerith Gainsborough

Hello @MC_RME,
Im a student from germany currently saving up for a RME ADI-2 DAC FS. I was just wondering if there is a new generation V3 (AKM 4497?) in the works before i drop all savings on this. Im working hard for this at the moment and want my investion to be future proof for some time :)

All The best,
Michael
Given that the ADI-2 is already audibly transparent, apart from bragging rights, lower numbers would serve no practical purpose.
As for being future proof: I'd be far more worried about proper driver support. Especially if you want to do more than just simple audio playback. Thankfully, RME has a pretty good track record in this regard.

@MC_RME I wonder if it would be possible to add more colors to the spectrum analyzer. I think a red one would look pretty menacing. :D

Grotti

Forum Donor
Hello @MC_RME,

All The best,
Michael
I am also located in Germany and I was thinking exactly as you are now. Until I decided, that I would not go for the last few dB of Sinad and that everything, the actual ADI has to offer, is future proof enough for me.

Best decision I made in decades in terms of hifi. (I am NOT related to RME and it is in fact my first experience with them).

Cheers

Top Bottom