• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes from Italy via Reverb.

Ok, you’ll be paying VAT then. You may be able to get it cheaper in the UK. I bought mine from. Scan for £834 inc. VAT. Great dac btw.

AlfieFroud

Regarding the relation between the stutter and the phone's behaviour, I don't have any good idea how to fix it. I would suggest you contact RME support or sign up to the RME user forum and if you are fortunate enough, maybe @MC_RME can help you here as well.

According to the manufacturer specifications -18 dBr should give about 110 dB peaks at 500 Hz. I would consider that quite loud even for very dynamical content.

At what volume setting do the headphones sound as loud as the iPhone on maximum volume?
The IPhone doesn’t have a headphone jack but my headphones came with a small DAC thing called the Beyerdynamic impacto which doesn’t have any specs on the power but I did find these online if they’re of any help. Full volume on the impacto is about -16/17 on the RME.
B2A036D6-92CD-4B5B-963E-CD46BDFFE158.jpeg
623B9F6B-8718-4AE5-A48F-52EB4D2770BB.jpeg

JIW

The IPhone doesn’t have a headphone jack but my headphones came with a small DAC thing called the Beyerdynamic impacto which doesn’t have any specs on the power but I did find these online if they’re of any help. Full volume on the impacto is about -16/17 on the RME.View attachment 106332View attachment 106331

I meant the loudspeaker on the iPhone.

However, coming to think of it, you can also meter the input level on the RME by setting 'Hor. Meter' to 'Pre' (see manual p. 28). The peaks should be above -1 dB for most modern music.

EDIT: Going with the data for the impacto and your impression, the output of the RME should be about 14 dB lower than the volume setting indicates. However, the impacto may clip at maximum volume which may make things louder than they would be without clipping.

Last edited:

JIW

One song had a peak of -0.6 and another at 0-3.
Is the -14 dBr when using high power? So does it sound like it’s working as it should in terms of power?

It's presuming you use AutoRef, where it should have selected high power.

Yes, it seems to me to work as it should in terms of power.

AlfieFroud

It's presuming you use AutoRef, where it should have selected high power.

Yes, it seems to me to work as it should in terms of power.
Is there as specific equation you used to work it out? I should really learn more about these things because I do find it really interesting.

JIW

Is there as specific equation you used to work it out? I should really learn more about these things because I do find it really interesting.

First, power equals voltage squared divided by impedance. Second, 0 dBu is the voltage corresponding to 1 mW into a 600 ohm load, i.e. square root of 0.6 or 0.7746 V.

AlfieFroud

Was it connected via Lightning or USB or both? If it was not connected via USB, could you try that and see if there is stutter?
It was connected via both, so DACs USB cable to USB camera kit adapter which connects to the iPhone via lightning.

JIW

It was connected via both, so DACs USB cable to USB camera kit adapter which connects to the iPhone via lightning.

I meant connecting the impacto via USB via the camera adapter kit. At this point, it is either the RME or the camera kit adapter that are misbehaving.

Also, maybe don't connect any headphone to the impacto first and see if it turns on and what lights up and when you connect something start from a low volume.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’m using an iPhone 11 Pro with the camera connection adapter connected to the DAC with the included USB cable. I’m using Qobuz for music and the Netflix app. I’m using the Beyerdynamic Amiron homes headphones connected to the phones output. The volume on the iPhone cannot be adjusted which the manual says is supposed to happen. I have the volume at -18 dBr.
The state overview says USB Sync:conn SR:96 State:2/2.

I have had all sorts of problems with the Apple camera connection adapter. Maybe that’s the source of your problems as well.

DomieMic65

Do you use the "simple" CCK or the one with the lighting port?
It might be useful to try one with power connected just for checking.

Top Bottom