• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@MC_RME do we get the same graph when setting the volume in the music player software (rather than the DAC’s knob, that would stay at 0)?

You get one of the single graphs, depending on the current Ref Level chosen. The max graph is only available by the unit's volume control.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Ltig! Did you used this way to play with the RME EQ capabilities to correct your room response?
yes, my desktop system. I just measured though, using the moving microphone method. The result was so good that I decided I don't need room correction:

Genelec 8020a - Moving Mic Method at 1.5m distance - both channels driven - UMIK-1.png

The drop at 80 Hz is probably due to the activated 80 Hz high pass. There is a sub below the desk which was switched off. Here is the same measurement with the sub switched on:

Genelec 8020a + KEF PSW2000 - Moving Mic Method at 1.5m distance - both channels driven - UMIK-1.png

Since I would correct peaks only I thought better leave it as it is.

o7_brother

@MC_RME Hello, do you happen to know the exact setting for 4 Vrms output via the XLR outs? In the manual it only explicitly states the level for 2 Vrms via RCA, unless I missed something.

Thanks!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@MC_RME Hello, do you happen to know the exact setting for 4 Vrms output via the XLR outs? In the manual it only explicitly states the level for 2 Vrms via RCA, unless I missed something.

Thanks!
I'm not RME but this information is on the review, first picture, dashboard, where it says 4.087V was with volume at -4.5dB.

index.php

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, do you happen to know the exact setting for 4 Vrms output via the XLR outs?
Said countless time: +13dBu Rel Level, then -4.5dB (8.5dBu ≈ 4.1V).;)
In the manual it only explicitly states the level for 2 Vrms via RCA, unless I missed something.
Nope, 2V RCA is the same setting as above. Manual speaks about +7dBu (1.73V).

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
RME ADI-2 DAC FS is discounted by 20% at $919.20 on Sweetwater and few other sites.
Wonder if it could be a sign of a new version coming up soon or just a good time to purchase a great product.

Sherwood

RME ADI-2 DAC FS is discounted by 20% at $919.20 on Sweetwater and few other sites.
Wonder if it could be a sign of a new version coming up soon or just a good time to purchase a great product.

I believe the RME rep when they say there is no new version coming out, but even if there was I think that’s a killer deal. I bought one from Sweetwater. Thanks for the heads up!

sjeesjie

If you happen to live in the Netherlands or Belgium, you can buy it at Bax with 7.5 % off, which makes it a steal.
Too bad I’m still undecided on the RME vs Qutest. RME is nice for me because of the eq. Qutest because of the appearance and the more inputs that I happen to need.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Grabbed one at the current $919.20, a great price and unbeatable value for my home office desk setup with all the features this unit provides.

I wish other manufacturers try to compete with that so we all win. Instead of getting the latest +N revision DAC chip that provides questionable benefits in sound quality and putting it in a bare bones box (e.g. most Chi-Fi), they should focus on the convenience and versatility features RME provides - parametric EQ profiles per output, programmable buttons and remote control, configurable gain, crosstalk, balance, screen off, easing the volume on switch, stepped volume control, etc.

The only upgrade path I can see from RME ADI-2 DAC FS is a device that can do what it does and in addition has:
- a couple of separately configurable EQ'd subwoofer outputs
- balanced headphone amp with more power
- RF remote control
- full control of all features from a native app in all major platforms
- good XLR microphone input with phantom power
- Bluetooth input with highest available fidelity at the time
- getting a bit greedy at this point but... automatic room adjustment with a measurement mic that sets crossover and EQ settings to match a chosen target for the common folk who are intimidated by Room EQ Wizard.

RME guys - I know you are listening and I'm sure you are working on new products. You are the only ones currently on the market who can deliver that perfection and I know you care about perfection because I read the RME ADI-2 DAC FS manual. I'll be following your progress and I'm expecting my upgrade by 2022 :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom