• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anybody know if the ADI-2 DAC FS needs USB 2.0 High Speed (480 Mbps) to work or it also works with USB 2.0 Full Speed (12 Mbps)?
USB "full-speed" is in fact USB 1.1, isnt it?
You need USB 2.0, as per the manual.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
USB "full-speed" is in fact USB 1.1, isnt it?
You need USB 2.0, as per the manual.
USB 2.0 introduced High Speed (480Mbps) but it is still backwards compatible with Full Speed (12Mbps). But I get it, if it is specified for 2.0 it probably means it needs High Speed (480Mpbs).

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
USB 2.0 introduced High Speed (480Mbps) but it is still backwards compatible with Full Speed (12Mbps). But I get it, if it is specified for 2.0 it probably means it needs High Speed (480Mpbs).

It can't operate at its top supported sample rate (768kbps) within 12Mbps bandwidth... the math just doesn't work out. But it's possible that it could operate at lower sample rates on full speed, because the transports are compatible.

ReaderZ

Does anybody know if the ADI-2 DAC FS needs USB 2.0 High Speed (480 Mbps) to work or it also works with USB 2.0 Full Speed (12 Mbps)?

Full speed is just a later added nicer name, it's really just USB 1.1

dougi

I haven't tested it, but I doubt it. I did read that any 192ksps+ DAC needs high speed. I did buy a cheap USB 2.0 full speed galvanic isolator for equipment testing and alas it wouldn't work with a Scarlett 2i2 interface (as an example) so this seems to support that High Speed is required.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am listening to my new ADI-2 DAC FS with the Audeze LCD-XC and I was surprised how little power these headphones need. I am using the phone's low power mode with volume between -20 and -18 dB for normal listening levels. Listening to low power close to 0 dB is deafening, and high power mode is insanity, either my ears or the drivers will explode first! No way, absolutely not needed, not even close.

So power wise (and resolution and features, of course) the RME ADI-2 DAC FS v2 is approved 10/10. :)

Last edited:

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Just got my ADI-2 and I'm a bit confused on how to use the remote to switch between RCA and Headphone outputs. Manually it works fine, just plug in the headphones or unplug the headphones, but how to use RCA output when headphones are plugged in? I don't want all outputs on at the same time, and there's and RCA button on the remote, but holding down the SEL button until the green light appears and clicking on RCA doesn't switch the input. The manual doesn't explain how to switch between outputs, at least not that I could find. Anyone know? Thanks.

EDIT: Found the answer:

STEP 1:
Options -> Remap Keys / Diag.
VOL (1) -> Toggle Ph/Line
STEP 2:
Options -> Device Mode
Mute Line Toggle Ph/Line
STEP 3:
Options -> HW/Diagnostics
Remap Keys: ON
I/O Key: Toggle Ph/Line

Last edited:

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Just found another reason to love this product. I was using the JDS Labs Element, with Line Outs to a sub. Because the Element wasn't a preamp, I had to manually change the volume on my sub and again on my desktop speakers, depending if I wanted to listen louder or quieter. This was always a pain because the sub is on the floor and getting the sub output to match the speakers was a guessing game until it sounded roughly correct. Now I've got the volume levels on each one cranked on both and control the volume via the RME remote. This is a bonus I wasn't expecting.

randy777

Trying to figure out which adi-2 version I would need. Would be using with HD600s headphones and need AES output to feed into Genelec 833X monitors. Should I be looking at the ADI-2 Pro FS BE or would the ADI-2 DAC FS be sufficient?

jae

Major Contributor
Trying to figure out which adi-2 version I would need. Would be using with HD600s headphones and need AES output to feed into Genelec 833X monitors. Should I be looking at the ADI-2 Pro FS BE or would the ADI-2 DAC FS be sufficient?

DAC model does not have any digital out, only the PRO.

cistercian

Forum Donor
Well mine came today. I have often called my system cretinous because it was simple and powerful.
An old Sony 291 cd player fed line to a rolls mixer for volume control which fed a Crown XLS 2502
driving a pair of JBL SRX 835 passives. I was content. The Sony had a headphone out that worked well
for when there was no need to anger the locals.
After 30 years of use the Sony failed. Nylon components change dimension and shape over time...it was done.
So I bought a Tascam cd200BT and put it inline. The analog output was horrible...so non flat in response and zero
mid lows and bass. It was like a high-pass filter was inline. Fortunately the tascam has coax and optical outputs.

So I ordered the RME. This may seem extreme but my simple setup had no balance control aside from the amp inputs,
it lacked any bass or treble control...and there was no EQ. I secretly longed for a loudness button as well for lower
level use. In short, it was cretinous.

That is over now. The RME gives me all the functionality I longed for while sounding...sensational. Holy cow this thing
is epic. And now my stereo is entirely pro gear...this delights me as I really like pro equipment.
One thing stood out instantly: over the years the Sony's EQ changed as time ravaged the components. I had no idea
it was starting to roll off the highs. I thought it was my ears. The RME is presenting my CD's perfectly. It is a large improvement
while providing all of the control I had lacked before. I really love the headphone amp, it is fantastic...just EPIC.

My hats off to the Germans who designed and built this. It provides exactly what I wanted and integrated perfectly.
I wish I could have a beer with the engineers who are responsible for this. I bet it would be fun. Best wishes RME
and congratulations for a job exceptionally well done.

Last edited:

cistercian

Forum Donor
I would like to add I bought it from Sweetwater and got it the next day. A salesman called me to follow
up after I bought it and he was a bit surprised to hear what kind of gear I would be using it with! I enjoyed
talking to him. So a good experience.

For those scared about what version...I got the new one.

And to add to my previous post...the rolls mixer I used for volume is not in line, of course. The RME does everything
and drives the amp effortlessly.

cistercian

Forum Donor
@pos this one should be able do drive the JBL M2 compression driver pretty good from the headphone output, or what do you think?

@amirm Any pop or cracks on startup/shutdown/sample rate change on this one? I guess not.

It is silent as the tomb turning the digital source on and off in my case. Coax from a CD player.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
Maybe an obvious question but does the pro version take “regular” RCA cables for analog in and out (I’m not familiar with the connections I see in the photos)

Top Bottom