• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The cheapest way is to get it from the RME's worldwide shop https://www.rme-shop.com/index.html
That's where i got mine. There is a way to get discount ontop of that. Renee is great to work with too, he sent me and extra power supply because mine was making coil whine, no questions asked, even paying for international shipping fees.

Maxicut

That's where i got mine. There is a way to get discount ontop of that. Renee is great to work with too, he sent me and extra power supply because mine was making coil whine, no questions asked, even paying for international shipping fees.
Yep, when you sign up it gives you the option of the discount. I saved nearly $1000.00 on a UFX (compared to the price in a shop here)

Veri

Master Contributor
I think RME should release a new version with AK4499 as soon as possible. I am not impressed of the results at all considering its price tag.

Oh please it's one of the most feature-rich devices out there (loudness, crossfeed, parametric EQ, much more) with the most rock-solid drivers. This is studio-grade gear. Other cheaper devices might come close in raw performance but reliability, robustness, support and features matter, too...

Last edited:

Nango

Major Contributor
Yep, when you sign up it gives you the option of the discount. I saved nearly $1000.00 on a UFX (compared to the price in a shop here)
In cas of warranty you can't deal that with the local shop, you will have to send in to RME, etc., etc.....

DeepSpace57

Oh please it's one of the most feature-rich devices out there (loudness, crossfeed, parametric EQ, much more) with the most rock-solid drivers. This is studio-grade gear. Other cheaper devices might come close in raw performance but reliability, robustness, support and features matter, too...

As a old owner of an Adi Dac, i still prefer Sabaj D5 with one-third of price tag over it. I have never thought returning it was a mistake. What i say is while Chi-fi takes miles, RME still no moves towards new flagship DAC chips. This is a terrible strategy. I see no point at all to invest in a well implemented ak4493 board with a serious bunch of money.

i notice many german fill this thread, and like immediately all sweety comments. This is what i laugh most here. LOL

Hidde

As a old owner of an Adi Dac, i still prefer Sabaj D5 with one-third of price tag over it. I have never thought returning it was a mistake. What i say is while Chi-fi takes miles, RME still no moves towards new flagship DAC chips. This is a terrible strategy. I see no point at all to invest in a well implemented ak4493 board with a serious bunch of money.

i notice many german fill this thread, and like immediately all sweety comments. This is what i laugh most here. LOL

That's not the point of his comment. The point is that it has a lot of extra features. If you don't value those extra features and are not willing to pay for them, well, sorry to burst your bubble but then the product is not for you! Others might find those features useful. Based on the name RME has build for themselves I think many people like those features.

Besides that, you're not only paying for the product with RME. You also pay for the service and support. Many of their products are still supported even though they have been out for YEARS.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor

You do not mean to be racist, do you?

As for strategy, it seems to work well for RME. They are not after the audiophool market. They sell pro gear. Different needs, different selling points, different products cycles.

Maxicut

How the dac chip is implemented is the most important thing, not the chip itself. The market for audiofools & pro's are two differnt things. RME sells pro gear for a reason

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RME still no moves towards new flagship DAC chips. This is a terrible strategy. I see no point at all to invest in a well implemented ak4493
Few things:
- You're talking about some State of the Art DAC, probably audibly indistinguishable from all 9038PRO/AK4499 units out there.
- If you wanna talk about performance/numbers only: Its performance even exceeds the AK4493's own specs. Which other manufacturer is able to do that? That is called stellar implementation. Probably the best AK4493 unit out there, and in fact better than a lot of 4499/9038 DACs.

PS: I'm not German.;)

Last edited:

David Silva

Hi.
Since you heard both, witch one is the most neutral, clinical? I'm on the fence for the RME ADI-2 DAC FS for my AKG K701, but i've just found the Sabaj D5, but it seems the headphone output of the later is not as powerful, and i'm afraid of it not being powerful enough for my K701...
Thanks

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since you heard both, witch one is the most neutral, clinical?
No... Please don't...:eek:...

I'm on the fence for the RME ADI-2 DAC FS for my AKG K701, but i've just found the Sabaj D5, but it seems the headphone output of the later is not as powerful, and i'm afraid of it not being powerful enough for my K701...
Both the D5 and the ADI-2 will have more than enough power for a K701. I wouldn't worry about that. Just focus about what features you need, your expectations for reliability/support, how much you would spend etc.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Few things:
- You're talking about some State of the Art DAC, probably audibly indistinguishable from all 9038PRO/AK4499 units out there.
- If you wanna talk about performance/numbers only: Its performance even exceeds the AK4493's own specs. Which other manufacturer is able to do that? That is called stellar implementation. Probably the best AK4493 unit out there, and in fact better than a lot of 4499/9038 DACs.

PS: I'm not German.;)

Many times I thought of asking you. I presume you played rugby, yes? Time of Skrela, Rives, Bofelli and others or are you a Dusautoir aged flanker?
:)

Maxicut

Hi.
Since you heard both, witch one is the most neutral, clinical? I'm on the fence for the RME ADI-2 DAC FS for my AKG K701, but i've just found the Sabaj D5, but it seems the headphone output of the later is not as powerful, and i'm afraid of it not being powerful enough for my K701...
Thanks
As a Dac/Headphone with Balanced Out's combo, there is no real competition to the RME, but that depends entirely on the price-point you're looking at & if the balaced out's & extras are something you need.

Hoary

Hi.
Thanks

For your criteria (highlighted above), I would trust the measurements Amir posted.

As far as I understand, neutral/clinical means linear with no distortion/"coloration" and musical means some distortion/"coloration". Sabaj D5 clearly shows signs of "ESS hump" while RME ADI-2 DAC shows none.

David Silva

For your criteria (highlighted above), I would trust the measurements Amir posted.

As far as I understand, neutral/clinical means linear with no distortion/"coloration" and musical means some distortion/"coloration". Sabaj D5 clearly shows signs of "ESS hump" while RME ADI-2 DAC shows none.
That is correct. Can the hump be heard at all?

Top Bottom