• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Veri

Master Contributor
Looking at the plots, it seems to me that author failed to compensate for the fixed propagation delay (dead time) which is sample-rate- and filter-type-dependent, and which is why the phase curves bend upwards first before later going into the expected downward slope.
@KSTR to the rescue.. :)

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
In about 2 weeks I will redo these measurements with my APx and then discuss the result with Soundstage. I know that there is no such phase shift, as expected, but did not find my APx measurements on my travel computer. And discussing results from a different setup is wasted time...

nagster

Excuse me from the side.
I don't have ver.C(ess), but I measured ver.B(ak4493) to make the mystery smaller.

After a while, I noticed that the title of the Sound Stage graph was different. I usually use "Continuous Sweep" (chirp) for phase measurements, but they may have used "Transfer Function". I also attach the graph for that case.
rme_adi2dac_01_phase_chirp.png
rme_adi2dac_02_groupdelay.png

Attachments

• rme_adi2dac_11_phase_TF_white_0dbfs.png
    rme_adi2dac_11_phase_TF_white_0dbfs.png
    141.3 KB · Views: 83
  • rme_adi2dac_12_phase_TF_white_-3dbfs.png
    rme_adi2dac_12_phase_TF_white_-3dbfs.png
    102.6 KB · Views: 76
  • rme_adi2dac_13_phase_TF_pink_0dbfs.png
    rme_adi2dac_13_phase_TF_pink_0dbfs.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 73
  • rme_adi2dac_14_phase_TF.png
    rme_adi2dac_14_phase_TF.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 82

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks. I am pretty sure that matches what I will measure with the ESS version. And good catch with the Transfer measurement - that seems to explain the strange results.

melowman

@MC_RME It would be great to measure the AKM version too, to compare with the above graphs, and because this is the model I and many users have. Thank you for your dedication.

melowman

What about this quote from the manual (ch. 31.3, p. 57), is it accurate?
Please also note that Slow and NOS filters cause much more aliasing into the audio band and out-of-band noise than Sharp filters.

danadam

What about this quote from the manual (ch. 31.3, p. 57), is it accurate?
I don't know if this is a valid test or what's the explanation, but I did two 44.1k loopback recordings (headphone out, low power) of a 20-20k sweep on ADI-2 Pro FS. AD filter was set to Sharp all the time and DA filter was first set to NOS and then to Sharp. Here are their spectrograms showing some difference:
r2.nos.png r2.sharp.png
And spectrum for 13 kHz:
fft.png

Last edited:

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
The effects shown here (thank you!) might be introduced from the ADC. It does not have a perfect, and correctly placed aliasing filter at the nyquist border (that's normal, unfortunately). I wanted to recheck this with the APx, but that will need some more time.

If so the statement in the manual is correct. The filters 'cause this', it does not say 'in the DAC'.

Last edited:

melowman

But this is the DAC thread, not the Pro thread; and indeed I was referring to the DAC’s manual…

bigidibo

Quick question: Will RME ADI-2 work in XLR+RCA mode? Or is it just XLR or RCA? I would like to hook up the subwoofer on RCA outputs...

Thanks

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is great news! A recurring criticism of the ADI-2 DAC is that the user interface is too hard to use, and this will be a killer solution. It's already looking very nice!

Atanasi

Forum Donor
A while ago RME told no more firmware features are expected for the existing ADI-2 DAC due to a shortage of storage space. I wonder how they manage to squeeze this in.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A while ago RME told no more firmware features are expected for the existing ADI-2 DAC due to a shortage of storage space. I wonder how they manage to squeeze this in.
I think it is mostly transmitting and receiving back data than storing more stuff.

Trell

Major Contributor

Indeed, and I expected at most some bugfixes going forward.

Top Bottom