• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Jagamov

I just got one of these yesterday. So far so good. I’m maybe finally getting a hang of the menu system and I just made my first EQ for my HD6XX’s.

I‘m really good with computers and it was doing a great job of testing my patience. Looking forward to more tinkering and listening this weekend.

sonitus mirus

I have to say, once everything is dialed in, you mostly adjust the volume level to taste. The interface, while intuitive to a certain degree, is a bit complex for me.

Jagamov

What settings did you choose? Just curious because I have the same setup.

I used Oratory1990's settings for the HD650 for the RME. Pretty easy (once I got the hang of it).

Quick 2 questions for anyone who can answer.

On Oratory's chart, there is a column called "BW"..what is that? I did not see this in the EQ settings

Also on the Q factor. One is 0.4 and one is 6.0, but it seems the ADI-2 can only go as high as 5.0 and as low as 0.5. Is that normal?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On Oratory's chart, there is a column called "BW"..what is that? I did not see this in the EQ settings

Also on the Q factor. One is 1.4 and one is 6.0, but it seems the ADI-2 can only go as high as 5.0 and as low as 1.5. Is that normal?
BW should be the same information as the Q factor, some software apparently uses it instead.
I think if ADI-2 DAC doesn't support some parameter, you try picking the closest supported value and listen if the result is adequate.

staticV3

Master Contributor
BW and Q both describe the same thing. Some software uses Q, some BW. Oratory lists both so that you're covered either way.
Also on the Q factor. One is 1.4 and one is 6.0, but it seems the ADI-2 can only go as high as 5.0 and as low as 1.5. Is that normal?
Hmm. the screenshots in the Manual show a Q of 1.0, so I would expect it to go down at least that far:
Screenshot 2023-03-17 151652.png

Plus, if Band 2 at 1.4 Q is an issue, then Band 1 at 0.4 Q will be even more so.
Screenshot 2023-03-17 151804.png

Jagamov

BW and Q both describe the same thing. Some software uses Q, some BW. Oratory lists both so that you're covered either way.

Hmm. the screenshots in the Manual show a Q of 1.0, so I would expect it to go down at least that far:

Plus, if Band 2 at 1.4 Q is an issue, then Band 1 at 0.4 Q will be even more so.

My bad....I looked at the wrong column (I fixed my post). I meant Band 1 at 0.4. It only goes down to 0.5 (not a big deal, just found it interesting).

Same as Band 4 going to 6, but the RME only goes to 5.0.

Sorry for the typo.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Also on the Q factor. One is 0.4 and one is 6.0, but it seems the ADI-2 can only go as high as 5.0 and as low as 0.5. Is that normal?
0.5 vs 0.4 shouldn't be a big deal. You can use 6.0 if you swap settings for bands 3 and 4. From manual:
Quality factor is adjustable from 0.5 to 9.9 in bands 1 to 3, and 0.5 to 5.0 in bands 4 and 5, in
steps of 0.1 dB. This equals a bandwidth setting of 2.54 (0.5), 0.29 (5.0) and 0.146 (9.9)

Jagamov

0.5 vs 0.4 shouldn't be a big deal. You can use 6.0 if you swap settings for bands 3 and 4. From manual

Awesome. Thank you! I’m still figuring out the finer details. Easy to miss stuff in the manual.

Definitely made the HD6XX sound better, but it really took the Elex up a notch.

I’m afraid this unit has ruined all my other dac/amps.

giboja

One could also put more grippy rubber on feet of the DAC. There are non-slip pads that are self-adhesive on one side rust one can try.
I use Jenga wooden blocks and double sided adhesive tape to make it rock solid, like bolted to my desk.
As the blocks elevate the unit it is even easier to operate it!

Attachments

• IMG_20230322_062505.jpg
    IMG_20230322_062505.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 115

hatverloren

Hello @MC_RME
Any plan for a balanced connection (4.4 mm Pentaconn?) upgrade to ADI-2 DAC FS like the 2/4 Pro SE?
Would like to have the extreme power headphone amplifiers but don't need all the pro functions at an extra cost.

GunnySack

Hey, folks. New here and just getting started in this. Obviously have listened to music for many years, but only recently got more into the finer parts you esteemed folks have enjoyed for some time...After some research, I set out to test the following:
  • Sources Used
    • Apple MacBook Pro (M1 flavor)
    • Apple iTunes (Max audio quality available...Hi-Res ALAC 24-bit/192kHz and Dolby Atmos)
    • Tidal Hi-Fi and MQA
  • DAC/AMP
    • iFi Zen DAC V2 paired with iFi ZEN CAN (fed via USB)
    • RME ADI-2 DAC (fed via USB)
  • Headphones
    • Apple AirPods Max (already had and didn't realize what I was missing!)
    • Sony MDRZ1R
    • Sennheiser HD800S
I wound up going with the
  • Apple iTunes
  • RME ADI-2 DAC
  • Sennheiser HD800S
There were a number of resources here and other places that led me to these options. For MY listening preference, the above hit it out of the park. I didn't necessarily want to pay for another music streaming subscription and I couldn't tell much difference in MQA on the iFi equipment--in fact, I much preferred the RME's sound in all cases. One thing I had to setup in MacOS was the Audio MIDI Setup settings. I set those to 384,000Hz and that allowed me to use the Treble/Bass on the RME and achieve the best sound from iTunes--at least that was my experience.

Out of the box, the RME DAC/amplifier sounds great. After setting up the PEQ, it's pretty much turn it on and listen. I make occasional adjustments to the Treble and Bass--another feature I really like. The display is awesome and hypnotic. Just a superb unit and I'm quite pleased with the unit. At this point, I don't feel I need anything additional here (yet...).

As for headphones, I really liked both--the Sony's had some great punch, but after several days of listening, I kept coming back to the Sennheiser's. Compared to the closed-back Sony's (and AirPods Max) the Sennheiser's just give me a much more spacious feeling, very meticulous sound across all the music types I listen--essentially anything. I couldn't be more happy with these headphones and never knew music could sound so good with this setup. I don't find a need to purchase an external amplifier at all--the headphones get plenty loud (note: I have Hi-Power enabled).

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience for anyone who might benefit from it. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and info here--really helped me land something I truly enjoy.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your fine setup. The RME ADI 2 FS was my first dac, I also enjoy its eq and T/B features. Enjoy the music!

Svperstar

I finally got my Audeze LCD-2 back with a full refurbish. New 2023 fazor drivers, headband, earcups, even got new metal rods that hold it all together.

Also own an LCD-2 Classic.

This weekend I was planning on testing both, I was going to use the headphone out on my RME for one, and the Line Out XLR -> SP200 for the other, I want music playing at the same time on the headphone out and the Line Out.

Would this degrade the performance of the RME? I don't know if there are separate DAC chips for simultaneous playback.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Hey, folks. New here and just getting started in this. Obviously have listened to music for many years, but only recently got more into the finer parts you esteemed folks have enjoyed for some time...After some research, I set out to test the following:
  • Sources Used
    • Apple MacBook Pro (M1 flavor)
    • Apple iTunes (Max audio quality available...Hi-Res ALAC 24-bit/192kHz and Dolby Atmos)
    • Tidal Hi-Fi and MQA
  • DAC/AMP
    • iFi Zen DAC V2 paired with iFi ZEN CAN (fed via USB)
    • RME ADI-2 DAC (fed via USB)
  • Headphones
    • Apple AirPods Max (already had and didn't realize what I was missing!)
    • Sony MDRZ1R
    • Sennheiser HD800S
I wound up going with the
  • Apple iTunes
  • RME ADI-2 DAC
  • Sennheiser HD800S
There were a number of resources here and other places that led me to these options. For MY listening preference, the above hit it out of the park. I didn't necessarily want to pay for another music streaming subscription and I couldn't tell much difference in MQA on the iFi equipment--in fact, I much preferred the RME's sound in all cases. One thing I had to setup in MacOS was the Audio MIDI Setup settings. I set those to 384,000Hz and that allowed me to use the Treble/Bass on the RME and achieve the best sound from iTunes--at least that was my experience.

Out of the box, the RME DAC/amplifier sounds great. After setting up the PEQ, it's pretty much turn it on and listen. I make occasional adjustments to the Treble and Bass--another feature I really like. The display is awesome and hypnotic. Just a superb unit and I'm quite pleased with the unit. At this point, I don't feel I need anything additional here (yet...).

As for headphones, I really liked both--the Sony's had some great punch, but after several days of listening, I kept coming back to the Sennheiser's. Compared to the closed-back Sony's (and AirPods Max) the Sennheiser's just give me a much more spacious feeling, very meticulous sound across all the music types I listen--essentially anything. I couldn't be more happy with these headphones and never knew music could sound so good with this setup. I don't find a need to purchase an external amplifier at all--the headphones get plenty loud (note: I have Hi-Power enabled).

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience for anyone who might benefit from it. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and info here--really helped me land something I truly enjoy.
Congrats. I have essentially the same setup on my desk, MacStudio/Apple Music into ADI-2 DAC fs into HD800S and Adam A5X.

LosslessSwitcher is a little utility that does auto sample rate switching out of AM if you’re interested in that. It works great:

Also, SoundSource is a nice utility for MacOS that allows you to route audio and run plugins at the system level:

Last edited:

GunnySack

Congrats. I have essentially the same setup on my desk, MacStudio/Apple Music into ADI-2 DAC fs into HD800S and Adam A5X.

LosslessSwitcher is a little utility that does auto sample rate switching out of AM if you’re interest in that. It works great:

Also, SoundSource is a nice utility for MacOS that allows you to route audio and run plugins at the system level:

Thanks for the above! Interestingly, I did find the plugin to change sample rate and have been using it with AM. Works perfectly--if only Apple would have done that. I also use SoundSource and initially bought it to control volume via HDMI monitor speakers a while back (again, Apple can't do this for whatever reason). Both utilities are great and I'm glad you referenced them. Thanks!

SundanceKid78

Hello @MC_RME
Just want to check – now only one model ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition equipped with AKM chip? And no plans to add AKM to ADI-2 series in the future?
Because there is a lot options to buy in online shops and second hand ADI-2 DAC FS or other variants of ADI-2 series. But all sell with ESS, but nobody with AKM – now the hardest to find and costs like gold. And second hand ESS ADI-2 DAC FS chip costs way cheaper and there are a dozens of offers.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Thanks for the above! Interestingly, I did find the plugin to change sample rate and have been using it with AM. Works perfectly--if only Apple would have done that. I also use SoundSource and initially bought it to control volume via HDMI monitor speakers a while back (again, Apple can't do this for whatever reason). Both utilities are great and I'm glad you referenced them. Thanks!
I run SonarWorks/SoundID Reference to EQ my monitors and headphones. I find the full-sized SW/SID app somewhat unstable, but running their plugin inside of SoundSource is rock solid. SoundSource is such a great app, useful for a number of things.

Top Bottom