• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

rask33

Most DACs don't. Ours does. And on top of it you even have the choice to record the DSP processed signal. Manual page 22, Loopback to USB.
I just glanced at the manual, it looks like it has built in EQ I can use to set the crossover between my speakers and sub in a 2.1?

Svperstar

I just got a new job with a nice raise so I was thinking of ordering this to reward myself.

Question though, I am a gamer and in Windows I will use Loudness Equalization in some games. My Topping D90 works just fine with this:

Does the adi-2 support Loudness Equalization?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Question though, I am a gamer and in Windows I will use Loudness Equalization in some games. My Topping D90 works just fine with this:
[..]
Yes (at least my ADI2 PRO).

roog

Forum Donor
I just got a new job with a nice raise so I was thinking of ordering this to reward myself.

Yes the ADI-2 DAC fs does include loudness equalisation and when set up properly it works very well

Trell

Major Contributor
Yes the ADI-2 DAC fs does include loudness equalisation and when set up properly it works very well

I think you are confusing the RME Dynamic Loudness with loudness equalization that intends to reduce big differences between loud and more quiet volume (as seen in the text in the image). The RME DAC does not support loudness equalization.

caught gesture

Forum Donor

As the equalization is being done at the source, it is the equalized signal that arrives at the DAC (any DAC). That is the signal that will be converted from digital to analogue. That would be my thinking on it.

rask33

How good is the DSP on these vs something like a miniDSP? Does it completely negate the utility of the latter?

Trell

Major Contributor
How good is the DSP on these vs something like a miniDSP? Does it completely negate the utility of the latter?

That depends on your use case. The miniDSP can be used to integrate a subwoofer (has crossover, delays, etc) and even room EQ, which the ADI-2 DAC does not have, for instance.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The RME ADI-2 DAC FS is strictly a 2-channel DAC, whereas miniDSP usually have 4 or more channels. For example, a 2-in / 4-out miniDSP has a matrix mixer, which let you route signals from either of the 2 inputs (or both) to any of the outputs (see below).

two-way-crossover-software-flow.png

The DSP in the RME gives you 5 band parametric EQ, tone control, loudness compensation, and cross-feed.

rask33

That depends on your use case. The miniDSP can be used to integrate a subwoofer (has crossover, delays, etc) and even room EQ, which the ADI-2 DAC does not have, for instance.
The RME ADI-2 DAC FS is strictly a 2-channel DAC, whereas miniDSP usually have 4 or more channels. For example, a 2-in / 4-out miniDSP has a matrix mixer, which let you route signals from either of the 2 inputs (or both) to any of the outputs (see below).

two-way-crossover-software-flow.png

The DSP in the RME gives you 5 band parametric EQ, tone control, loudness compensation, and cross-feed.
That's unfortunate as my use case is indeed 2.1. I'm having trouble putting it together between the preamp/dac/dsp question. For instance, if I went the route of a Topping Pre90 w/ a miniDSP, that leaves me without a competent DAC. Thanks for the replies and I appreciate the diagram. If you can help solve my dilemma let me know, I'm extremely new to this.

Also for reference, this is a desktop/PC setup.

Trell

Major Contributor
That's unfortunate as my use case is indeed 2.1. I'm having trouble putting it together between the preamp/dac/dsp question. For instance, if I went the route of a Topping Pre90 w/ a miniDSP, that leaves me without a competent DAC. Thanks for the replies and I appreciate the diagram. If you can help solve my dilemma let me know, I'm extremely new to this.

Also for reference, this is a desktop/PC setup.

Do you already have the monitors and subwoofer for your desktop setup?

Svperstar

Well I finally did it. I bought an RME off Amazon should be here Monday it says. I was thinking of the Topping D90 but eh I want all the crazy features of the RME. Wonder how different it will be from my current Topping D30 -> SMSL SP200 stack?

Top Bottom