• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Music1969

Major Contributor
Afaik there is no ESS IMD hump in the 9028 series (like 9028pro or 9028q2m). ESS 'invented' that with the 9038 series.
Nevertheless I measured IM TDN vs signal level for the ADI-2 ESS and no hump can be observed. I'm not at my laptop atm but can post the graphs later..

Matrix Audio uses 9038 Pro with no hump. Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 without hump.

there are several 9028 with the hump.

I think it comes down to engineering, case by case

There doesnt appear to be way to generalise 9028 and 9038

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We’re still waiting for his tests. ;)
(HiFiGIF.cc)_working-on-it-working-work-serious-sarcastic-john-wick-chapter-2-john-wick-im-working-on-it-keanu-reeves-full.gif

Have all my data and pictures done since last week. Units have been sent back to their respective owners... Last Sunday was my birthday, and I've been busy every evening since. Hardest now is to start... writing.:p

qsdqsd.jpg

So is there an ESS IMD hump?

I expect that to be the only major measurement (not audible) difference.
Sorry to disappoint, but I still cannot produce reliable SMPTE VS Level. Mains reason being: there is a hump with everything measured, whatever AKM, ESS or anything with the Cosmos. Knowing RME (and my own other results), I hardly imagine this to happen...

Music1969

Major Contributor
Knowing RME (and my own other results), I hardly imagine this to happen...
But also knowing RME, it's strange they won't share their own AP plot for it.

Maybe the hump is there.

Cosmos ADC has a hump itself so can't rely on it for this measurement

Without measurement we can't just assume. Otherwise there would be no need for checking with measurements

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Afaik there is no ESS IMD hump in the 9028 series (like 9028pro or 9028q2m). ESS 'invented' that with the 9038 series.
Nevertheless I measured IM TDN vs signal level for the ADI-2 ESS and no hump can be observed. I'm not at my laptop atm but can post the graphs later..
What did you use to measure?

For example. ESS based Cosmos ADC itself has the hump.

So you get hump with everything

And then if ADC isn't good enough you get the hump masked by the noisefloor of the ADC

See this post by RME:

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
RME wrote earlier this year on their own use forums, I recall, that available space for firmware is filled up so at least firmware updates with new features will have to stop, unless they can refractor code to free up space.

But the ADI-2 DAC is still an excellent DAC/amp device, though.
IMO it is a good thing to have updates available. Better thing is, that you don't have to update it at all and still have a stellar sounding swiss army knife at hand :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Can't be generalised to what chip (9018,9028,9038) was used, in any case.

Trell

Major Contributor
RME wrote earlier this year on their own use forums, I recall, that available space for firmware is filled up so at least firmware updates with new features will have to stop, unless they can refractor code to free up space.

But the ADI-2 DAC is still an excellent DAC/amp device, though.

Can't edit my post from yesterday, apparently, but here is what RME wrote in the huge firmware update December last year:

>>>…Regarding further feature suggestions and changed functionality I have to explain that the DSP resources are fully in use, so nothing will change anymore with regard to audio processing. The other part is management, which does not need DSP calculation power but memory. We optimized the whole code several times, freed memory for further code and actions, but are now at the absolute limit. So I have to make a clear statement to prevent you from expecting that the firmware updates of Pro and DAC will continue like this - they won't. The next firmware might be the last one for these two models...
<<<

There is also this I saw regarding the new RME ADI-2/4, but not sure how much impact it will have for the ADI-2 DAC. In any case, less power usage should mean lower heat generation and that is always welcome in electronics.

>>>…While working on this new unit we also have ideas that might be ported back to the existing units. For example when trying to minimize power consumption. This might come in a later firmware update. …<<<

Last edited:

sonitus mirus

It looks like a relatively minor update was made on 6/17/2022, as the flash update is now 78/51 (ADI-2 DAC) and 263/116 (ADI-2 Pro). Installed on my nearly 4-year-old ADI-2 DAC FS without any issues to report.

From the English readme file:
06/17/2022: This FUT now also includes the firmware of Fireface UFX+, Digiface AVB and Digiface Dante. Information on updates of these see separate readme.txt.

ADI-2 DAC 78/51, ADI-2 Pro 263/116. Pro/DAC Fix: Corrected display of B/T setting >9.5 dB in Dark Volume Screen. Bugfix Pro: 1 sample channel offset when SRC is active with an ADAT input signal.

anewaccount

Hopefully not the wrong thread to ask this.
Is there any info on an upcoming newer/revised version of the rme adi 2 dac fs?
Planning to get them in the coming months.
Thanks!
Just received mine early this week. Shipped from Thomann to Singapore.
I can say I am happy with them, no hiss on my andros and sounds good with the hd 660s.
Time to enjoy them and keep an eye out what headphones to purchase next :^)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
M2ain.jpg

LNeilB

Hello all,

Despite hours of searching threads and watching YouTube videos, I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for. Can the EQ in this DAC be used to create a broad but shallow, BBC like dip? My ears are overly sensitive to upper midrange/lower treble energy. This seems like it may be the answer for a few recordings that I just can't live with.

Thanks in advance for any advice/input.

Trell

Major Contributor
Hello all,

Despite hours of searching threads and watching YouTube videos, I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for. Can the EQ in this DAC be used to create a broad but shallow, BBC like dip? My ears are overly sensitive to upper midrange/lower treble energy. This seems like it may be the answer for a few recordings that I just can't live with.

Thanks in advance for any advice/input.
Yes.

LNeilB

Many thanks for the quick reply. Think I will pull the trigger. One follow up question: should I be concerned about the latest chipset? Is it worth going to the trouble to try to find a leftover with the AKM chips?

Trell

Major Contributor
Many thanks for the quick reply. Think I will pull the trigger. One follow up question: should I be concerned about the latest chipset? Is it worth going to the trouble to try to find a leftover with the AKM chips?

The new version with the ESS is great and @VintageFlanker has just posted his measurements of these two versions showing so:

LNeilB

The new version with the ESS is great and @VintageFlanker has just posted his measurements of these two versions showing so:

Thank you again! Have tried opening this link many times today and kept getting redirect errors. It finally opened this time. Kudos for the peace of mind. :)

04gto

I have owned every version of the RME ADI-2 (both AKM versions, the latest ESS & the Pro AKM). They all sound exactly the same. Pro has double the power. Buy whichever one you find without hesitation or reservation. All sound amazing.

Top Bottom