• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

TK33

Good point. I'm so happy with NODE already. So why I'm planning to buy RME? Good question: my primary intention would be to use it as a headphone amp for my HD800s which needs EQ (I don't want software EQ). This is the primary reason. However, secondary reason (which means nothing without my primary intention) is to use the EQ on my bookshelf stereo system (Node>Yamaha NR602>KEFLS50) currently I'm using tone adjustment on my integrated amp only for Bass and Treble, so I thought having RME would enhance this experience. So I'm NOT buying it for the DAC, but buying it for the headphone amp+EQ for (headphone + KEFLS50). But at the same time, I don't want this purchase to lower the quality of the system that I'm currently happy with. Does this make sense?
I don't have the new Node but have the older Node 2i. I got the RME ADI-2 because it is a nice all in one solution for headphones. My other DAC/HP amp made really loud pops when sample rates changed over coax/optical so I gave the RME ADI-2 a shot and never looked back. My current setup is Node 2i --> RME ADI-2 --> (a) Aeon 2 Noire (with EQ), (b) Shure SE846 (no EQ), and (c) NAD D 3045 --> KEF LS50 Meta (no EQ). Very happy with this setup. ADI-2 drives both my headphones and IEMs really well and love how the settings are saved for each output. Once I got it set up, I have not had to mess with it much, with the exception of the new features RME added with recent firmware updates.

radix

Major Contributor
I'm back with a couple more questions.

I'll be using headphones and active speakers. It looks like the Mute Line setting Toggle Ph/Line (Sec 14.1.3) allows switching between the headphones and line out. It is switched by a long press volume knob or mapping it to a function key on the remote.

Is that correct? Does this work well (I'm expecting yes). Does the RME remember settings specific for the phono output vs the line output, like volume and EQ?

Thanks for the help

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yes, yes and yes. Although it's phones, not phono.

mugbot

Forum Donor
And it's amazing. I have the RCA out going to a little Yamaha amp, and plug my Aeon 2 Noire's into the front of the ADI-2 DAC.
Completely different volume/eq (I've actually got the RCA out volume locked now, so I can just use the amp for volume control). So convenient.
Bravo RME.

amper42

Major Contributor
I'm back with a couple more questions.

I'll be using headphones and active speakers. It looks like the Mute Line setting Toggle Ph/Line (Sec 14.1.3) allows switching between the headphones and line out. It is switched by a long press volume knob or mapping it to a function key on the remote.

Is that correct? Does this work well (I'm expecting yes). Does the RME remember settings specific for the phono output vs the line output, like volume and EQ?

Thanks for the help

You could push the button to select headphone jack or line out but my ADI-2 DAC automatically switches on it's own. If I plug in headphones the line out is off and once I unplug headphones the line out turns on for the speakers. I really like this automatic detection method.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
That was the first thing we built in. But constantly plugging/unplugging phones turned out to be unusual, most people let them be plugged in. For these the big button press was added then.

radix

Major Contributor
That was the first thing we built in. But constantly plugging/unplugging phones turned out to be unusual, most people let them be plugged in. For these the big button press was added then.

Thank you for your answers! I'm not sure where "phono" came from.

I almost always leave the headphones plugged in, as it goes to a 1x4 headphone switch so I can pick between my open and closed without fussing with wires.

Remembering separate front/back settings is excellent!

Outside75

My Adi-2 FS arrived few days ago. Im using it with a pair of DCA Aeon 2 Noires and a little Pi4 streamer. So far so good. Sound is great.

The only thing which Im not a fan of is the "locking" power input. It seems really fragile. Im very careful with my devices and it already looks like its going to shatter soon. Its plasticky, wobbly and horrible. Apart from that - its a great little thing.

Grotti

Forum Donor
My Adi-2 FS arrived few days ago. Im using it with a pair of DCA Aeon 2 Noires and a little Pi4 streamer. So far so good. Sound is great.

The only thing which Im not a fan of is the "locking" power input. It seems really fragile. Im very careful with my devices and it already looks like its going to shatter soon. Its plasticky, wobbly and horrible. Apart from that - its a great little thing.

It isn't fragile at all: lock it and it fits tight. At least that's my experience....

Strumbringer

Question- I believe the "load Treble and Bass" when selecting an EQ preset feature is new with the software update. Any tutorials on how this works?

When I selected Yes to this, it appears to have erased my T&B settings when I wanted to turn it on with different presets.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Question- I believe the "load Treble and Bass" when selecting an EQ preset feature is new with the software update. Any tutorials on how this works?

When I selected Yes to this, it appears to have erased my T&B settings when I wanted to turn it on with different presets.
If you stored those presets before the update, they wouldn't have any T&B information. That's why enabling T&B loading resets these settings. You can set T&B to their correct values and store the preset again.

Mehdiem

I recently purchased RME ADI-2, initially as an amp for my HD800s which completely does its job but, further, I hooked it up to my stereo system and I was amazed how much better the quality of the system could be using the EQ. I initially used the same Rotary EQ for HD800s and tweaked it a bit to suit my stereo system (Node Streamer->Yamaha RN602 Amp->KEF LS50). Now it sounds much better. I was wondering if there is any resource recommended EQ for KEFLS50 or otherwise similar speakers? If you have any EQ settings do you mind sharing them with me?

mugbot

Forum Donor
I recently purchased RME ADI-2, initially as an amp for my HD800s which completely does its job but, further, I hooked it up to my stereo system and I was amazed how much better the quality of the system could be using the EQ. I initially used the same Rotary EQ for HD800s and tweaked it a bit to suit my stereo system (Node Streamer->Yamaha RN602 Amp->KEF LS50). Now it sounds much better. I was wondering if there is any resource recommended EQ for KEFLS50 or otherwise similar speakers? If you have any EQ settings do you mind sharing them with me?
The difficulty with EQ for loudspeakers as opposed to headphones is that the room itself also needs to be considered, as it will have a large impact on the frequency response heard. You may need to investigate room correction to determine the best values for your eq, or just have a go by ear.

There's a couple of good guides to room correction on this forum which were written by Amir. Room EQ Wizard (REW) is the (free!) software that most people use.

roog

Forum Donor
The difficulty with EQ for loudspeakers as opposed to headphones is that the room itself also needs to be considered, as it will have a large impact on the frequency response heard. You may need to investigate room correction to determine the best values for your eq, or just have a go by ear.

There's a couple of good guides to room correction on this forum which were written by Amir. Room EQ Wizard (REW) is the (free!) software that most people use.
Agreed, I used REW to assess the room, then tackled the biggest peaks using the RME ADI-2 parametric EQ. It should be noted that the REW exercise also allows you to explore the effect of moving speaker positions, but for me what was even more noticeable was changing listening position.
I was also very surprised at how accurate the peak predictions by REW were for my room and system when using the room modelling function, no audio measurements required. Offers up a good starting point for EQing your system in your room.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AKM released a new chip AK4493S, an improvement of the AK4493 that was used in ADI-2 v2.

Will RME keep using ESS after AKM reestablishes supply? Or was the move to ESS permanent?
That is the question. :)

Last edited:

Grotti

Forum Donor
AKM released a new chip AK4493S, an improvement of the AK4493 that was used in ADI-2 v2.
The question is: will RME keep using ESS after AKM reestablish supply? Or was the move to ESS permanent?
That is the question. :)

As long as the results are both outstanding, I don't care 1bit ;)

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Nowhere does it says so. You need to learn to read these marketing department driven and extremely carefully worded press releases correctly.

The 'new' chip is 100% identical to the 'old' one. Absolutely nothing has changed, except for three letters in the end.

And so far we only received samples. We'll see when we receive more what we'll do with them.

Veri

Master Contributor
Nowhere does it says so. You need to learn to read these marketing department driven and extremely carefully worded press releases correctly.

The 'new' chip is 100% identical to the 'old' one. Absolutely nothing has changed, except for three letters in the end.

And so far we only received samples. We'll see when we receive more what we'll do with them.
To be fair marketing driven sentences like these undoubtedly confuse some people:
  • AK4493S and AK4490R have been redesigned to optimize signal path impedance for much-improved noise immunity, particularly as it applies to low-frequency noise performance'
  • 'AK4493SEQ is a new generation 32-bit, 2-channel premium DAC'
Good to hear you're already on it :)

Top Bottom