• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

cheapsoundguy

I just tried to do that with my ADI-2 DAC FS with recording SPDIF in Audacity and play it back using USB. The Pro is a different device with more input/output as well as a SRC (sample rate converter), but I'll guess it will work on that unit.

Best to check the manual and ask on the RME forum: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewforum.php?id=21

If you already have the Pro device you can try it out yourself.

Edit: @KSTR beat me to it.
Were you able to get it working with your unit?

cheapsoundguy

Yes, this is perfectly possible with the Pro.

You can "record" the SPDIF Coax/Opt signal via USB, process it, and "play" it back to the main outputs.

The RME must be setup in USB Mode and to clock from the SPDIF, and of course the same sample rate must then be selected for USB. Also you have to set it to USB Multichannel Mode in order to capture from SPDIF (in Stereo Mode you have only access to the analog input).

EDIT: for different source samples rates you could use the built-in Sampe Rate Converter and clock the RME from internal clock (which then is selected automatically to the USB-requested rate) for simplicity. Otherwise you'll need distinct setups for Dirac/USB to care for each of the sample rates you want to support.
Wow, impressive post. I will have to try this weekend, toddlers permitting.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Other than most other DACs the ADI-2 DAC does have a SPDIF input to USB record path, so can easily operate full duplex over USB. Record something, process it in realtime, play back the processed result, all in one step if the used software supports that.

cheapsoundguy

Other than most other DACs the ADI-2 DAC does have a SPDIF input to USB record path, so can easily operate full duplex over USB. Record something, process it in realtime, play back the processed result, all in one step if the used software supports that.
That's pretty fantastic.

Strumbringer

Regarding running 300 Ohm headphones (I have two pair of ZMF), I did some quick math and noted that with 97 dB sensitivity, 120 dB target volume, and 300 Ohms, I'm arriving at about 200 mW and 7.7 volts needed to drive the ZMF headphones. My ADI-2 DAC provides 310 mW and 10 v on hi-power mode! I had questions (thank you all who responded on another thread) if an external amp was needed. Based on power needs, the answer is mathematically, no. If one were after and different sound signature, I suppose that's a different story.

My understanding is that the headphone amp section of the ADI-2 DAC provides sufficient power and 20Hz-20KHz of frequency, so I'm struggling to see any reason to require an external amp (on another forum, people were advising Benchmark HPA4 or Topping A90, but I've learned that while they may have more power, it may not sound any better/different for my purposes). Just wanted to put my conclusions here and appreciate reassurance that I can stick with the all-in-one ADI-2 DAC! Saves me some $$$ in doing so! I have watched the youtube videos with @MC_RME to help me confirm the use of this unit as a stand-alone solution.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding running 300 Ohm headphones (I have two pair of ZMF), I did some quick math and noted that with 97 dB sensitivity, 120 dB target volume, and 300 Ohms, I'm arriving at about 200 mW and 7.7 volts needed to drive the ZMF headphones. My ADI-2 DAC provides 310 mW and 10 v on hi-power mode! I had questions (thank you all who responded on another thread) if an external amp was needed. Based on power needs, the answer is mathematically, no. If one were after and different sound signature, I suppose that's a different story.

My understanding is that the headphone amp section of the ADI-2 DAC provides sufficient power and 20Hz-20KHz of frequency, so I'm struggling to see any reason to require an external amp (on another forum, people were advising Benchmark HPA4 or Topping A90, but I've learned that while they may have more power, it may not sound any better/different for my purposes). Just wanted to put my conclusions here and appreciate reassurance that I can stick with the all-in-one ADI-2 DAC! Saves me some $$$ in doing so! I have watched the youtube videos with @MC_RME to help me confirm the use of this unit as a stand-alone solution.
If you eq, the preamp reduction of any size could change that calculation somewhat.

Grotti

Forum Donor

A target of 120 dB??? I suppose you won't enjoy the ADI-2 because of hearing loss :p

RHO

Major Contributor
A target of 120 dB??? I suppose you won't enjoy the ADI-2 because of hearing loss :p
I think this is for short peaks in sub-bass. That's much less damaging for your hearing but demands quite a bit of power from the amp.

Hapo

...are you still using this DAC at you work station...???...

You can pry my RME from my cold dead hands. I love this little gem and it will forever live on my desk. Can anyone name a desktop DAC/AMP combo that continues to improve like fine wine? :D
Yes, the RME ADI 2 FS:oops:;) I love mine too, but not at the desk, at recliner side!

Last edited:

mugbot

Forum Donor
I've only had mine for about a month, but with working from home it's been AMAZING to have such high quality audio on tap.
So many functions to explore, I really like the crossfeed function for certain recordings with extreme panning, such as some of the beatles records.

weme

In the RME Forum I had commented on the advantages of a tabular representation of the "7-Band Parametric EQ (PEQ)". Just for fun I have created a "Quick Reference" as an example. This way, any interested reader can now more easily see the possible benefits of this form of documentation.

The two documents including the symbol graphics (Peak, ...) are of course available for free use:
PDF-file (DIN A4) and only the table as PNG-file graphics.

The topic is finished for me.

Attachments

• RME_ADI-2-DAC_ADI-2-PRO_7-Band Parametric EQ (PEQ)_only-TAB.png
    RME_ADI-2-DAC_ADI-2-PRO_7-Band Parametric EQ (PEQ)_only-TAB.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 306
  • RME_ADI-2-DAC_ADI-2-PRO_7-Band Parametric EQ (PEQ).pdf
    210 KB · Views: 227

ElNino

For the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, does anyone know if it's possible to use the USB PC connection as both an input and output? Basically I want to run DIRAC on my PC with digital input and digital output using the RME ADI-2.

So sound in from the Bluesound Node, out to the PC, run DIRAC on the audio, then back into the RME ADI2 Pro. So possible to do in and out simultaneously?

View attachment 180849

You don't even need the "Pro" to do host-based processing like Dirac Live, provided that whatever source you use (can be the same computer that runs Dirac Live) has a digital output that you can loop through the ADI-2. I've done this and it works. Obviously the Pro gives you more flexibility and potentially 4 channels of output.

In the RME Forum I had commented on the advantages of a tabular representation of the "7-Band Parametric EQ (PEQ)". Just for fun I have created a "Quick Reference" as an example. This way, any interested reader can now more easily see the possible benefits of this form of documentation.

The two documents including the symbol graphics (Peak, ...) are of course available for free use:
PDF-file (DIN A4) and only the table as PNG-file graphics.

The topic is finished for me.
Thanks for your efforts weme, great at-a-glance reference!

Top Bottom