• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Ogunya

Maybe the whistle is a hidden message from RME only for the chosen few :D Just joking. I returned successfully the DAC, they were able to hear the noise.

lofiguy

Ordered Sunday, sold/fulfilled by Amazon, arrived today with ESS chip. I'm eager to fire it up, but I have a sick dog snoozing on my lap for a while. I'll have to be content with reading the manual in silence for a couple of hours.
I ordered on Oct 24, and hadn't seen this thread yet at that time. Mine was sold by Amazon.com Services LLC, which is different than Amazon. Google is not telling me the difference but for sure it is a different fulfillment channel, not interchangeable with "amazon.com". I never buy from third parties on Amazon, only amazon.com and Amazon.com Services LLC. If I'm not mistaken sometimes I get euro market versions of things through the services entity and don't have to order from amazon.co.uk or amazon.de. For example I think I ordered UK produced cadbury chocolates not long ago. The UK version is very different than the US version.

Even ordering 5 days after yours, I still got a B version - AKM4493. Anyone that specifically wants the B version might try to buy from the LLC. RIght now I don't see them listed as one of the sellers but check back as it does change. I remember having a suspicion that it was a very well reboxed return (ie, fraudulently sold as new), so if that is indeed the case it would explain the older version.

I do see right this moment there is 1 renewed one for sale. You might get lucky that it's a B version.

You might also try one of the weird non-audio sellers. They might be sitting on older stock. Personally I avoid all marketplace sellers like the plague. Too risky.

I've contacted two diffefent resellers today to inquire about the chip version on the ADI-2 DAC's they have in stock.

Both replied there is neither B nor C at the end of the serial numbers. Wouldn't this imply the 1st iteration from a few years back?? Yet both said their stock is only from this November AND the remote is the newer one (as it should be).

The reply I got from the other one was "I'm pretty sure it's the AKM chip" but it felt like sales talk to me.

I don't want to go to the (non-)audible differences between the AKM and ESS - so let's just say the serial number confusion piqued my curiosity and thought I'd ask about it over here. :)

They looked at the outside serial numbers on the package. The letter is only found on the device itself, and I doubt they will open the sealed package for you.
Yeah, I'm aware it's only printed on the actual physical unit and I also communicated my awareness of this to the retailers. Of course, I wasn't demanding them to rip open the cellophane or anything like that. Basically I was just asking how recent their stock was.

Anyway, one of the retailers claimed to be looking at a recent unit from the November batch they had on display (that is, looking at the serial number on the unit).

This all left me quite confused, that's all. I'm ordering it anyway. Naturally, I wouldn't want the very first iteration.

amper42

Major Contributor
Yeah, I'm aware it's only printed on the actual physical unit and I also communicated my awareness of this to the retailers. Of course, I wasn't demanding them to rip open the cellophane or anything like that. Basically I was just asking how recent their stock was.

Anyway, one of the retailers claimed to be looking at a recent unit from the November batch they had on display (that is, looking at the serial number on the unit), while the other one apparently looked up the serial numbers from their computer systems. I have no idea how he supposedly was able to see the different serials, if they're solely printed on the DAC. :O

This all left me quite confused, that's all. I'm ordering it anyway. Naturally, I wouldn't want the very first iteration.

It would be difficult to purchase the 1st ADI-2 DAC FS version now except if you were buying used. If you purchase new from a reseller with a great return policy this should not be an issue. I have purchased two RME ADI-2 DAC FS units from B&H. One June 2021 which arrived with a serial starting with "5578" and another Oct 2021 with a serial starting with "5984". Both units have the "B" version marked at the end of the serial number which indicates the AK4493 chip. If you received any of the serial numbers from the dealer that are within this range most likely they have the AKA chip. Obviously, there will be later and earlier serial numbers that also contain the AK4493 but this offers a small range for reference.

Has anyone on this forum received the ADI-2 DAC FS with an ESS chip, noted with a "C" at the end of the serial number? If so, what were the first 4 digits of the serial number? Thank you!

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
If I decided to buy a second ADI-2 DAC FS today I would do so with confidence (based on RME history) that it would be just as great as my current one with outstanding features. I recently bought the new RME Fireface UCX II so I'm pretty biased. :)

If I decided to buy a second ADI-2 DAC FS today I would do so with confidence (based on RME history) that it would be just as great as my current one with outstanding features. I recently bought the new RME Fireface UCX II so I'm pretty biased. :)
I've been using RME cards in my DAW for 10+ years and likewise trust the brand.

But I can get VERY obsessive with pre-purchase research :facepalm:. The upside is, I honestly can't remember when I've last suffered from buyer's remorse. It must have been before the internet.

I know pretty much exactly what the ADI-2 DAC can and can't do for me, as I soon hit the buy button. Even if there are compromises, they will not come as a surprise to me. When I hear blips and crackling, I will know it's my PC's noisy USB port and just switch to optical, instead of blaming RME for a "faulty" product. :cool:

TunaBug

Forum Donor
Has anyone on this forum received the ADI-2 DAC FS with an ESS chip, noted with a "C" at the end of the serial number? If so, what were the first 4 digits of the serial number? Thank you!

I am very pleased with my ESS generation ADI-2. It's in my nature to get at least a mild case of buyer's remorse with just about any new toy that I buy, but not with this. Maybe I'll remember to check the serial number when I get home, if not then feel free to PM a reminder to me:rolleyes:

dazzerfong

It would be difficult to purchase the 1st ADI-2 DAC FS version now except if you were buying used. If you purchase new from a reseller with a great return policy this should not be an issue. I have purchased two RME ADI-2 DAC FS units from B&H. One June 2021 which arrived with a serial starting with "5578" and another Oct 2021 with a serial starting with "5984". Both units have the "B" version marked at the end of the serial number which indicates the AK4493 chip. If you received any of the serial numbers from the dealer that are within this range most likely they have the AKA chip. Obviously, there will be later and earlier serial numbers that also contain the AK4493 but this offers a small range for reference.

#5106 for me, ESS version. Purchased beginning of November this year.

amper42

Major Contributor
I got a chance to compare the D90SE directly against the RME ADI-2 FS DAC for a few hours with my speakers and music. The comparison unexpectedly made me appreciate the ADI-2 even more.

The ADI-2 remote is 1000% better than the D90SE. I never though much about the remote being important but when you compare the $10 Topping remote against the far superior RME it's a BIG difference. The D90SE is so cheap and only works if laser focused on the DAC. It's absolutely horrible for casual use. When using the RME remote as long as I'm within a 30 degree angle it works fine. The D90SE remote did not work unless I pointed it in a direct line with the DAC. I couldn't get use to this limitation. To think it comes with a $899 DAC is a huge oversight and totally poor human engineering.

I also noticed when turning off the D90SE it would cause a short pop in the speakers. Nothing like that happens with my RME. In addition, when changing tracks with Audirvana using the RPi4 via USB there was a crackle noise. The same setup is dead quiet when switching tracks with the ADI-2. Not sure how the D90SE adds this noise.

With the D90SE in 4v mode and the RME ADI-2 in Auto Ref Level mode. The ADI-2 was significantly louder at lower volume settings. While the D90SE was -25 the same volume on the ADI-2 was approx -30. In addition, the appearance of the ADI-2 with dancing colorful frequency response lights is much more enjoyable to my eyes than the monochrome D90SE. Plus, the RME ADI-2 runs amazingly cool. It never heats up. If you use the D90SE in 5V mode it gets quite warm.

Lastly, in my A/B tests, the ADI-2 offered a smoother and more refined presentation than the D90SE which sounded a bit harsh and edgy to my ears. I just couldn't get the same smooth sound out of the D90SE that I enjoy with my ADI-2. All in all, my session ended with me quite puzzled the D90SE wasn't more of a competitor for my DAC usage. This session helped me understand SINAD scores alone don't provide me with important usability scoring I certainly need when selecting a DAC I want to use with my system.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I got a chance to compare the D90SE directly against the RME ADI-2 FS DAC for a few hours with my speakers and music. The comparison unexpectedly made me appreciate the ADI-2 even more.

The ADI-2 remote is 1000% better than the D90SE. I never though much about the remote being important but when you compare the $10 Topping remote against the far superior RME it's a BIG difference. The D90SE is so cheap and only works if laser focused on the DAC. It's absolutely horrible for casual use. When using the RME remote as long as I'm within a 30 degree angle it works fine. The D90SE remote did not work unless I pointed it in a direct line with the DAC. I couldn't get use to this limitation. To think it comes with a $899 DAC is a huge oversight and totally poor human engineering.

I also noticed when turning off the D90SE it would cause a short pop in the speakers. Nothing like that happens with my RME. In addition, when changing tracks with Audirvana using the RPi4 via USB there was a crackle noise. The same setup is dead quiet when switching tracks with the ADI-2. Not sure how the D90SE adds this noise.

With the D90SE in 4v mode and the RMA ADI-2 in Auto Ref Level mode. The ADI-2 was significantly louder at lower volume settings. While the D90SE was -25 the same volume on the ADI-2 was approx -30. In addition, the appearance of the ADI-2 with dancing colorful frequency response lights is much more enjoyable to my eyes than the monochrome D90SE. Plus, the RME ADI-2 runs amazingly cool. It never heats up. If you use the D90SE in 5V mode it gets quite warm.

Lastly, in my A/B tests, the ADI-2 offered a smoother and more refined presentation than the D90SE which sounded a bit harsh and edgy to my ears. I just couldn't get the same smooth sound out of the D90SE that I enjoy with my ADI-2. All in all, my session ended with me quite puzzled the D90SE wasn't more of a competitor for my DAC usage. This session helped me understand SINAD scores alone don't provide me with important usability scoring I certainly need when selecting a DAC I want to use with my system.
There is always the remote extenders you could use pretty cheaply.

audiofun

With the D90SE in 4v mode and the RMA ADI-2 in Auto Ref Level mode. The ADI-2 was significantly louder at lower volume settings. While the D90SE was -25 the same volume on the ADI-2 was approx -30. In addition, the appearance of the ADI-2 with dancing colorful frequency response lights is much more enjoyable to my eyes than the monochrome D90SE. Plus, the RME ADI-2 runs amazingly cool. It never heats up. If you use the D90SE in 5V mode it gets quite warm.
of course it's much louder. ADI-2 DAC has 19dbu output and that's almost 7V, which is much higher volume than D90SE's 5V, let alone 4V.
You are right that they differ by approx 5db (4Vrms is 14.25dbu).

It's unfair to compare ADI-2 with D90SE. The former is the best DAC money can buy. There's nothing can compare with it.

Even if you compare SINAD the RME is very close (or even better) to D90 when you listen at realistic volume (-30dbu in your case) due to auto ref level preserve SINAD at low gain.

Not to mention D90SE has no HP Amp nor DSP.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With the D90SE in 4v mode and the RMA ADI-2 in Auto Ref Level mode. The ADI-2 was significantly louder at lower volume settings. While the D90SE was -25 the same volume on the ADI-2 was approx -30.
As it is to be expected: the ADI-2 output is 6.9Vrms at 0dBFS.

That alone could explain many audible differences you perceived.;)

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The ADI-2 remote is 1000% better than the D90SE.
With my remote, and ADI-2 Pro, quite often it takes a couple of seconds until the unit reacts, even when the remote is right next to it. I keep the button pressed, e.g. the volume increase, the green light on the remote is blinking, but nothing happens. After pressing it a couple more times the volume finally starts changing. Does anyone else has the same?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Did you connect both directly to a power amp, without a preamp or analog volume in between?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With my remote, and ADI-2 Pro, quite often it takes a couple of seconds until the unit reacts, even when the remote is right next to it. I keep the butto
Do you have the "new" or the old one? New remote is way more responsive and works with much wider angle.
blog_20191123_004.jpg

Top Bottom