• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Trell

Major Contributor
Its also worth mentioning that same users will likely be applying EQ profiles sourced elsewhere which will also describe the filter types per the manual. I think the poster was creating an issue that doesnt exist.

I think it will be an improvement of the manual and I know that RME updates their manuals on a continual basis.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it will be an improvement of the manual and I know that RME updates their manuals on a continual basis.
Straying past what a button does to what the parameter changed means. What you are looking for is an EQ tutorial not a "how to apply EQ on this device". The manual tells you how to apply a peak filter, it shouldnt explain when to apply a peak filter.

Trell

Major Contributor
Straying past what a button does to what the parameter changed means. What you are looking for is an EQ tutorial not a "how to apply EQ on this device". The manual tells you how to apply a peak filter, it shouldnt explain when to apply a peak filter.

There is much information in the ADI-2 DAC that assumes that the user is not familiar with what the DAC can do and it's features, as compared to other RME products targetting the professionals. In this particular case one user did not know about some icons shown on the device, so what's the harm to describe them?

And the ADI-2 DAC contains lots and lots of features, which is why I bought the device in the first place, but all those features do come with a cost in learning time and usage.

KSTR

Major Contributor
I understand the challenge of designing an interface and control system that can cope with the vast array of features provided with this DAC but can't say I find it intuitive or straightforward.
I had the same feeling initially when I got my first ADI-2 Pro. This clearly is a unit with some many possibilities and features that is it impossible to understand what it does just alone from operating it, "hands-on". You have to understand the highly adjustable signal path architectures first.
Once you do, I found one can master the UI workflow itself quickly because it is highly regular in structure. It's complex, but not complicated, IMHO.

Malaj

It's worth recalling that some new users of the DAC are not familiar with PEQ, and the device is marketed towards the HiFi market segment after all. A picture similar to this could be added to the manual instead of having to google for it.
Exactly I am helping here. I am sure its a common eq language for pros but nobody is born knowing the alphabet. It should be added to the manual for future revisions as its so good explaining e erythi g else. Why not make it complete :)

This was my only stumble as a complete noob. Oh well not I once learned eq on my old behringer deq2496 but since long forgotten.

amper42

Major Contributor

ADI-2 DAC Firmware Update​

I received this email today - The latest update adds the Loopback to USB feature, finally DigiCheck NG can now be fully used with the ADI-2 DAC on the Mac. This new option replaces the SPDIF input signal with the USB playback signal, either taken pre or post DSP. Mac users are now able to view the playback data via USB in DigiCheck.

All you need to do is download the latest Firmware Update (FPGA 66/DSP 41) and DigiCheck NG for Mac. After a restarting of your device, a new entry "Loopback to USB" is available under I/O settings. https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html

dazzerfong

ADI-2 DAC Firmware Update​

I received this email today - The latest update adds the Loopback to USB feature, finally DigiCheck NG can now be fully used with the ADI-2 DAC on the Mac. This new option replaces the SPDIF input signal with the USB playback signal, either taken pre or post DSP. Mac users are now able to view the playback data via USB in DigiCheck.

All you need to do is download the latest Firmware Update (FPGA 66/DSP 41) and DigiCheck NG for Mac. After a restarting of your device, a new entry "Loopback to USB" is available under I/O settings. https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html
I could've sworn that update was out for a while? I'm surprised they only just sent out an email.....

Ogunya

Above 30% screen brightness there is a high frequency noise coming from the device itself.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Context missing. That noise IS normal, but it is so low in volume that people usually can not hear it at all, or need to put their ears against the unit in a very quiet room. I doubt that this unit produces more zzzzz than others, and that an exchange will help.

Ogunya

It is built this way for sure, exchange won't help. I will return it and not look at this model anymore if they don't fix the issue with newer releases in the future. I had the same issue with a keyboard in the past. Some of us are in acoustically treated rooms and this small device is usually bought to be used on the desk which is very close to the ears.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
The point is that some have VERY sensitive ears and are VERY good in hearing high frequency stuff. In that case it is as it is. There is no way for us to remove the low volume noise emitted by the LCD panel.

Grotti

Forum Donor
It is built this way for sure, exchange won't help. I will return it and not look at this model anymore if they don't fix the issue with newer releases in the future. I had the same issue with a keyboard in the past. Some of us are in acoustically treated rooms and this small device is usually bought to be used on the desk which is very close to the ears.
If screen brightness is the "problem" why not turn it of when listening to music? Or is it important to you watching it all the time? Why returning a unit, which seem to work within the specs when you could easily turn of the annoying frequency with a snap of your fingers?

And where is the alternative regarding its features and sound quality?

I don't want this post misunderstood as offensive: I just don't understand why you want to get rid of this unit for minor reasons...

Ogunya

Grotti. I don't care about the extra dsp features it has actually. I wanted a dac to connect unbalanced tube headphone amplifier and speakers to increase my Prism Sound Lyra 2 outputs via the digital out. I was also expecting to be able to control the volume of the unbalanced and balanced outputs separately as I though there are two outputs but in the end I saw it is one just bridged.

dazzerfong

To be fair, I wasn't a huge fan of the buzzing in the beginning and was a near-dealbreaker for me. However, the buzzing stabilised over time for me. In the beginning, it was quite loud but after around 2 weeks of owning it, it's gone now.

Also found that it got worse the lower the brightness (with 100% having zero buzz at all), so I think it might be the PWM power of the screen to dim.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The point is that some have VERY sensitive ears and are VERY good in hearing high frequency stuff. In that case it is as it is. There is no way for us to remove the low volume noise emitted by the LCD panel.
I'm one of those and I hear noises everywhere: phone chargers, LED light bulbs, computer screens, etc.
Above 30% screen brightness there is a high frequency noise coming from the device itself.
At which distance can you start hearing that noise? Just to get an idea.

Ogunya

At which distance can you start hearing that noise? Just to get an idea.
Half a meter for 80% of screen brightness which is the default setting. On 100% it is either more loud noise then the 80% or dead silent, depends where you are on the screen options.

Trell

Major Contributor
I can't hear any noise from the ADI-2 DAC even with my ear close up, and the same goes for my RME UCX II.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can hear some noise from almost all LED light bulbs, for instance when I'm reading a book in silence close to one, specially because they don't play music at all.

Top Bottom