• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ADI-2 PRO can do that with its two sets of channels with their own DSPs and DACs. For example:
Not with the DAC, follow Atanasi comment.
Ok these two comments seem to be counter intuitive.
Maybe i should try and be more detailed in my plans for use.
I would use the RME in preamp mode.
Run the XLR balanced outputs to my subs. Low pass not necessarily, necessary but would be a nice option.
Run the RCA outs to my amplifier for main speakers which i would like to be able high pass ( cut out 60hz and below )

Apologies' for any confusion. It's been a hell of a day, my mind just isn't where it should be.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Ok these two comments seem to be counter intuitive.
Maybe i should try and be more detailed in my plans for use.
I would use the RME in preamp mode.
Run the XLR balanced outputs to my subs. Low pass not necessarily, necessary but would be a nice option.
Run the RCA outs to my amplifier for main speakers which i would like to be able high pass ( cut out 60hz and below )

Apologies' for any confusion. It's been a hell of a day, my mind just isn't where it should be.

I apologize I noticed my reply was too short to be greatly useful, I blame my wife and kids :D

AFAIK ADI-2 DAC FS treats the xlr and rca output at the same output (putting aside voltages and such) , so whatever you apply to the "line out" affects both and nothing can be set to one of them only, About the ADI Pro, since I don't know how it works I can't help.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
ADI-2 DAC has a single stereo DSP and DAC. All analog outputs emit the same signal with the exception of analog gain.
ADI-2 Pro has an independent DSP/DAC for Phones Out 3/4, which can also drive unbalanced line inputs. A different EQ can be set up for it.

Last edited:

rcstevensonaz

ADI-2 DAC has a single stereo DSP and DAC. All analog outputs emit the same signal with the exception of analog gain.
ADI-2 Pro has an independent DSP/DAC for Phones Out 3/4, which can also drive unbalanced line inputs. A different EQ can be set up for it.
This is the correct answer regarding the PRO. The XLR and TRS* outputs on back are both considered output channels 1/2 — so while they each have their own amplifiers to their respective power levels, both are driven from the same DSP processing bank and receive the exact same signal.

The Phones Out 3/4 is slightly misnamed, since that port can be set to Line Out mode, giving it the same power level as the RCA 1/2 bank. So, you could run a TRS to dual-RCA cable and pull the subwoofer signal from the from port if you wanted to apply different EQ settings (e.g., Hi/Lo pass filters, PEQ for room EQ on the subwoofer, etc.). Also, on the PRO, you can route the signal out (via USB) to an off-board processor for multi-band EQ (full room EQ) and then return highly customized signals (via same USB) for channels 1/2 and 3/4 (and even for the optical channels 5/6 and 7/8).

RME (@MC_RME): a feature request... please give us the ability to select whether the rear RCA ports are mapped to the 1/2 or the 3/4 output signal.

[*Corrected: these are not RCA on the PRO]

Last edited:

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
You mean TRS (no RCA on the Pro): This is a hardwired connection and can't be changed by firmware.

rcstevensonaz

You mean TRS (no RCA on the Pro): This is a hardwired connection and can't be changed by firmware.
Thanks for the insight, and the correction. Not surprised it is hardwired (otherwise you would have given the option). In which case, any chance of adding a 3/4 TRS port on the rear in a future revision?

Personally, I would be extremely happy to have a rear 3/4 TRS port (still volume controlled) in addition to the existing rear 1/2 TRS. Because of the way I have my home office setup, I would prefer to pull the headphone out from the backside. But if not, it would open additional use cases if we could choose whether the rear TRS port is driven by signal from DSP 1 or DSP 2.

Slayer

For those of you who own this unit and use it in preamp mode. Do they RCA's provide a completely silent noise background?
I ask because i will use the xlr to my subs, subs trigger on better with the xlr connection.
Rca's to my amp for the main speakers. Amp only requires 1.5v for max power, so it makes no sense to use the xlr for my main's amp.

rcstevensonaz

For those of you who own this unit and use it in preamp mode. Do they RCA's provide a completely silent noise background?
I have the ADI-2 PRO (not the DAC). The output from the two TS connections is dead silent for my hearing.

My source chain is: [sources, including Topping E30 & D90] -> Ashly Mixer LX-308B -> RME ADI-2 PRO -> MiniDSP 2x4 DRC -> KH 120A speakers.

For the test, I turned the mixer input channels for E30 & D90 and the master output to full gain, turned up the volume on the PRO as high as it goes (+6 dBr), and put my ears next to the tweeter on the KH120A. I don't hear anything.

Note: this doesn't test the DAC pathway; but it does test the opamp output stages, which is where noise would be introduced.

Last edited:

rcstevensonaz

Actually, just realized that I meant the TS connection... but it seems I can no longer edit my earlier posts. The front phones are TRS; but the rear 1/2 unbalanced outputs (left, right) are TS.

vibess

Well, I decided to pull the trigger on this dac/amp. Features, quality ,measurements, look etc makes this seem like all I will never need in one box. Lets see if it arrives next week. :)

iwantobelieve

I was also going to ask about separate EQ applied to the XLR/RCA outputs on the DAC-2, also for separate EQ of subs/mains.

I notice this has been touched on, but still confused - I thought a selling point of this DAC was the ability to apply different EQ settings to each output?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I was also going to ask about separate EQ applied to the XLR/RCA outputs on the DAC-2, also for separate EQ of subs/mains.

I notice this has been touched on, but still confused - I thought a selling point of this DAC was the ability to apply different EQ settings to each output?

As I understand it, you can apply and save separate EQ settings for each of the heaphone outputs and the line output. However, the line output applies to both the XLR and RCA outputs, which are run in parallel, you cannot apply different EQ settings to them individually.

iwantobelieve

As I understand it, you can apply and save separate EQ settings for each of the heaphone outputs and the line output. However, the line output applies to both the XLR and RCA outputs, which are run in parallel, you cannot apply different EQ settings to them individually.

Ah, OK, got it.

Thanks!

I often find myself wishing that DAC manufacturers would add the ability to integrate one (or two) subs properly in a stereo DAC/preamp. Crossover would be seamless with a slope of choice in DSP. Additionally at least enough EQ to take deal with a couple of bass nodes on the subs and mains would be so useful... Save so much buggering around with external boxes, or often pretty poor measured performance in most AVRs...

This one is sooo nearly there. Still going to pick one up - it's great to have overall EQ for the speakers setup and to be able to dial in a couple of EQ'd headphones, etc., and the adjustable 'loudness' is the first time outside of my Meridian gear that I've seen this so intelligently implemented for lower-level listening, etc.

Last edited:

guildenstern

Question about EQ: When Oratory1990 calls for "PEAK" or "HIGH_SHELF," I'd like to make sure I'm using the correct setting in ADI-2's parametric EQ. I'm confident but not certain about the EQ symbols, which are not identified by symbol in RME manual (or if they are, I can't find it). So, could someone please provide the correct name for each of the following, by number? (Sorry about the lame drawing.)

RME EQ symbols.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Question about EQ: When Oratory1990 calls for "PEAK" or "HIGH_SHELF," I'd like to make sure I'm using the correct setting in ADI-2's parametric EQ. I'm confident but not certain about the EQ symbols, which are not identified by symbol in RME manual (or if they are, I can't find it). So, could someone please provide the correct name for each of the following, by number? (Sorry about the lame drawing.)

View attachment 123814
I'll check when home but think we have :

Low shelf
High shelf
Peak
High pass
Low pass

iwantobelieve

Unfortunately, this has all become somewhat academic for me, as these can’t be bought in the U.K. right now. Not sure if it’s Brexit, or something else, but there’s zero availability.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, this has all become somewhat academic for me, as these can’t be bought in the U.K. right now. Not sure if it’s Brexit, or something else, but there’s zero availability.
No AKM dac chips most likely. But that's the first I've seen of it being evident.

iwantobelieve

No AKM dac chips most likely. But that's the first I've seen of it being evident.

Oh really, is there a shortage of chips at the moment? Just AKM or are all brands affected?

Yeah it’s been out of stock here for a couple of weeks and a lot of stores were saying around 15th April. Today still no stock and I’ve seen that estimate pushed back to mid June, so quite a serious delay, really.

Top Bottom