• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

svenz

I sort of wish I had just bought an RME ADI-2 instead of investing in a chifi stack (SMSL SU-8/THX AAA 789/Topping D10 for speakers). Seems like a great all in one device and would make my desk look so much cleaner. Does anyone know if it's possible to use the digital inputs as digital outs? That's the one thing I'd be missing with the D10. I could use XLR analogue out to my speakers but would sleep better if I could use digital out (although it probably doesn't make much difference at all).

Colonel Bogey

I sort of wish I had just bought an RME ADI-2 instead of investing in a chifi stack (SMSL SU-8/THX AAA 789/Topping D10 for speakers). Seems like a great all in one device and would make my desk look so much cleaner. Does anyone know if it's possible to use the digital inputs as digital outs? That's the one thing I'd be missing with the D10. I could use XLR analogue out to my speakers but would sleep better if I could use digital out (although it probably doesn't make much difference at all).

Only the ADI-2 Pro FS has digital out, use it with my Genelec speakers that have AES3 input (and as a DAC/amp for headphones). Then I also don't have to have the GLM connected all the time to regulate volume.

svenz

Yeah that would be ideal, but can't really justify an extra 700 just to get a digital out (I already think the Topping D10 is overpriced as a simple USB->SPDIF out).

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeah that would be ideal, but can't really justify an extra 700 just to get a digital out (I already think the Topping D10 is overpriced as a simple USB->SPDIF out).
If you need USB-SPDIF only, you have cheaper options. The price changes a bit if you want 48/96/192.

Tks

Major Contributor
Anyone try the new firmware? It’s not listed in the RME forum, but if you go to the RME support page for the DAC and look at the driver/firmware downloads there is a new version dated 2020-09-17
(FPGA 34 / DSP 34). I know the DSP firmware number changed to 34 a while back without any fanfare since it was just to support the new LCD panel part, but this September release shows an update to the FPGA.

ADI-2 Pro updated to 238/98, ADI-2 DAC updated to 34/34. Current peak on power-on reduced.

ElNino

Is it possible to set up the ADI-2 Pro so that the volume control knob affects the S/PDIF output level in multichannel mode? From the manual, it seems to be clear that you can have the volume knob affect the S/PDIF output level in some modes, but the diagram on page 40 of the manual seems to suggest that this isn't possible in multichannel mode.

svenz

If you need USB-SPDIF only, you have cheaper options. The price changes a bit if you want 48/96/192.

Hmm not sure I follow. I can do 24/192 digital out from my topping d10 to genelecs over coax spdif. I see no point to a more expensive AES output.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Hmm not sure I follow. I can do 24/192 digital out from my topping d10 to genelecs over coax spdif. I see no point to a more expensive AES output.
If you already have D10, never mind.

Colonel Bogey

The point with a Pro FS could be volume- and useful tone controls (like e.g. loudness) in the DSP, for either digital out or a DAC/amp headphone out. Also, for me as headphone geek, the dual headhone out with separate volume controls is important when trying to do comparisons between headphones.

If you compare the ADI-2 FS to existing RME products with headphone outputs, is it still a beneficial device to have at the end of a studio chain? If i already had a parametric EQ setup on my computer, and I had something like the MADIface XT would having this product benefit me in any way? Is the DAC/headphone amp (driving IEMs) in this device going to sound better than that of the MADIface XT or a HDSPe MADI FX? I'm still new to all this stuff.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
If you compare the ADI-2 FS to existing RME products with headphone outputs, is it still a beneficial device to have at the end of a studio chain? If i already had a parametric EQ setup on my computer, and I had something like the MADIface XT would having this product benefit me in any way?
MADIface XT has a well-performing DAC already, but it neither features the same high output power nor the low output impedance or the separate lower-amplitude IEM output with extralow noise - its headphone output tops out at +7 dBu (about 1.8 Vrms, same as the regular ADI-2 DAC output set to Low Power), giving output noise of at best -108 dBu(A) (~3 µV(A) or dynamic range ~84 dB(A) ref. 50 mV), and specified output impedance is a rather meh 30 ohms. Which is decent enough for driving the usual 250-300 ohm Senndynamic-Beyerheisers ;) but in no way outlandishly loud or particularly good for impedance-critical 'phones.

The HDSPe MADI FX features a slightly higher-performance DAC (118 dB(A)) and goes louder than the MADIface at +13 dBu (so noise would be 3 dB higher as well), but its output impedance of 75 ohms is very mediocre and actually the kind of value you commonly see with onboard audio.

I suggest you skim through the ADI-2 DAC FS manual to see whether you can spot any other features that might interest you. (Note: ADI-2 FS is a different product altogether - that's a line-level ADC and DAC. I blame Amir for the misleading title.)

Honestly, I would probably look into getting an external headphone amplifier like a Schiit Magni Heresy or similar plus an adapter cable to plug this into the existing headphone output. Way more cost-effective for sure. The DACs in either interface already feature higher dynamic range and lower distortion than any human needs for playback, you just have to roughly dial in the analog gain staging so DAC dynamic range includes [0 dB SPL; 110 dB SPL].

Thank you @AnalogSteph for that detailed and informative answer. The ADI-2 DAC FS (no companies using confusing product names here!) would do well at the end of my audio chain. If my Linux machine can treat it like a soundcard via ALSA thereby finding it's mixer, I'm all set.

ElNino

I've had mine for a week now -- such a great unit, I should have bought one ages ago. Having physical controls for bass, treble and EQ is really nice.

One thing I thought I'd add... I can confirm that the full duplex mode works well for Mac AU plugins like Dirac Live. Provided your computer has an optical or coax digital out, you can set up the chain as follows: computer -> optical -> ADI-2 -> AU Lab -> ADI-2 -> output. This allows you to completely avoid having to install third party solutions like Soundflower, Blackhole, or Soundsource. (This is good, because Soundflower and Blackhole can have clock drift issues, and Soundsource uses a varispeed unit which may affect the sound. The RME on its own has been bulletproof for me.)

However, one wrinkle to note about the drivers that isn't totally clear from the manual: even when you set the unit to full duplex, there's no method to automatically have the USB sample rate adjust to match the S/PDIF sample rate.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just plugged mine in. I’m likely to buy the pro r at some point to run my main system which needs an analogue input. I don’t purport to understand half of the features yet but it’s nice to have found a dac that can be aimlessly fiddled with as much as my turntable.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
How can you tell V1 and V2 apart?
Easiest way is the remote.

V1:
https://www.amazon.com/RME-ADI2DAC-AD-Converter/dp/B07B6C8PF6

rme.jpg

Phrangko

There's no such thing. The Qutest is more expensive. It is made by Chord. It has to be better in audiophile's minds. Look at its cute bubble hole: it has to stage better!:p
View attachment 81656
I owned both the Qutest and the ADI-2 DAC when I subscribed here back in 2018. I thought they sounded different at the time, and still, my preference went for the ADI-2. Once ASR folks asked me to match level and listen blind, I finally did. So I listened the ADI-2 matched at 1, 2 or 3V, as Qutest settings and surprisingly: no difference whatsoever. So I kept the ADI-2. Both are extremely good and transparent DACs, yet they don't sound different. If someone claims the opposite, he/she has to prove this during a controlled blind listening test.
Simon of the 13th Note Reviews think so too.

CMB

Just would like to reflect on any technical issues discussed here.
I have this product since it just had been released on its Version 2.
I use it everyday since, and at this stage, I don't have any issues with knobs or screens or whatever (luckily).
Today, if I would have to replace it, I just might buy the same or maybe the FS version of it.

Willem

Major Contributor
For all I know there once was an older non FS version.

Top Bottom