• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

wynpalmer

Technical Expert
If you're planning to use the DSP features it will sound a lot better.

If not, it will sound pretty much the same.
I have a pair of HD820s. I use the DSP feature to correct for the headphone eccentricities, with some success. I also use it in my main audio chain to correct for the speakers/room. I consider it to be an invaluable capability.

wynpalmer

Technical Expert
Max volume, maybe. But lowering the digital volume versus Auto Ref makes the ADI-2 DAC have better SINAD.
The RME units have an actual functional and rational loudness control feature. It has proven to be very useful.

mjoshi

Here is my experience, got my RME ADI-2 DAC FS today, and to my surprise HEDDPhone works well with the headphone output of RME, I'm not certain if AMP will make bigger difference.

Attachments

• 20200711_140652.jpg
    20200711_140652.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 283

hayche

If you're planning to use the DSP features it will sound a lot better.

If not, it will sound pretty much the same.
When you say DSP are you referring to the EQ? I use EQ within moode. Happy with a slight bass boost on the HD800

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you say DSP are you referring to the EQ? I use EQ within moode. Happy with a slight bass boost on the HD800

It also has crossfeed and dynamic loudness equalization.

To me the ADI-2 DAC's big selling point is it's versatility. It can do fairly extensive DSP processing on its own, independent of your source, keeps separate settings for each output, and has 9 save slots for easily storing and loading all your settings.

If you only have one source, only use one pair of headphones, and can already do all the DSP you need in your source then you'll be leaving most the features behind. It's DAC and headamp measure better than the DX3, but that's not really something which is audible to a human ear.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone know if the line outs automatically turn off when using another input? I basically want to switch between headphones and speakers without having to unplug the headphones and/or turn off the speakers. I’m hoping when I switch to one output all the others turn off.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Anyone know if the line outs automatically turn off when using another input? I basically want to switch between headphones and speakers without having to unplug the headphones and/or turn off the speakers. I’m hoping when I switch to one output all the others turn off.
I know for a fact my Pro does that, but it can be configured to not.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
I know for a fact my Pro does that, but it can be configured to not.
If would've been a total fail if someone like RME would not do that. My FiiO K5 pro does not do that. I have to switch off speakers.

eurokage

Default I believe is line-outs mute if headphones are plugged in, but you can setup to hold down the large volume encoder dial to switch between phones and line-out.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Default I believe is line-outs mute if headphones are plugged in, but you can setup to hold down the large volume encoder dial to switch between phones and line-out.
Perfect. I just ordered one. Hoping to get it by next week.

eurokage

You an also map this function to a button on the remote, I have the version 2 with the updated remote, unsure if the mapping works for the v1 remote.

Gyroscopics

D90 or RME ADI-2 FS for pre-amp? I already have a THX-789 and other balanced/SE DACs for HP use. I intend to use the DAC as pre-amp to a pair of NC500MP monoblocks.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
D90 or RME ADI-2 FS for pre-amp? I already have a THX-789 and other balanced/SE DACs for HP use. I intend to use the DAC as pre-amp to a pair of NC500MP monoblocks.
Do you need/want the DSP (Bass/Trebble/param eq/loudness) ?
No Brainer then.
You can hardly be wrong with the RME.

dougi

You an also map this function to a button on the remote, I have the version 2 with the updated remote, unsure if the mapping works for the v1 remote.
Annoyingly on my RME ADI-2 PRO FS R I updated the firmware and it changed the default remote key mapping! Easy enough to change though.

Gyroscopics

Do you need/want the DSP (Bass/Trebble/param eq/loudness) ?
No Brainer then.
You can hardly be wrong with the RME.

I might need the RME's balance control as the monoblocks don't have gain control. I rarely adjust bass/treble/eq. I will skip a separate pre-amp but might use an attenuator to keep the DAC at optimal volume level.

Currently using SMSL SU-8 for this purpose along with an external Nobosound XLR volume pot used in conjunction with the SU-8's remote. I find the sound dry for some reason. When I tested a different signal path using RCA output from SU-8 the dynamics and clarity considerably improved. The alternate path is: SU8 (full volume) ==> RCA ==> Rolls ProMatch MB15b ==> XLR ==> NC500MP MonoBlocks ==> speakers. I purchased an attenuator (on the way) to replace the Nobosound XLR volume pot and see if it improves. Setting the SU8 at very low volume (and skipping the external volume pot) kills the details and therefore is not an option.

I might not need the attenuator or volume pot with the RME ADI-2 DAC as I've read it maintains output impedance regardless of DAC volume. Can anyone confirm?

Gyroscopics

You're aware the Rolls is speced for <88dB SINAD ?

I wasn't aware of that but I want to avoid that route in the first place because the Rolls has a slow startup and cause my amp/speakers to pop upon power-on.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anybody know if the ADI-2 DAC FS needs USB 2.0 High Speed (480 Mbps) to work or it also works with USB 2.0 Full Speed (12 Mbps)?

Top Bottom