• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

REK2575

If I'm not mistaken, the V2 has a larger remote control w/ more buttons -- you can see the newer remote in the V2 photo VintageFlanker posted -- as a possible way of identifying by pictures/specs which version is which.

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
v1
v1.jpg

v2
v2.jpg

Last edited:

mjoshi

One more dumb question, what is difference between RME ADI-2 DAC FS and RME ADI-2 DAC ?
I see both those version online.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

RPG

Forum Donor
VintageFlanker is right. In the Amazon link you provided, to enlarge it, if you mouse over the image in order to enlarge it, you'll see the "FS" following ADI-2 DAC in the upper left corner of the unit.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Seriously? Again?!... :mad:
For the 100th time: There was a "non-FS" ADI-2 PRO (First gen 2016)... But the ADI-2 DAC has always been "FS" from day one.

VintageFlanker is right. In the Amazon link you provided, to enlarge it, if you mouse over the image in order to enlarge it, you'll see the "FS" following ADI-2 DAC in the upper left corner of the unit.

hang on, you guys are getting annoyed with me when:
- the Amazon ad describes the dac incorrectly
- you have to have prior knowledge of the precise spot to zoom in on in order to see the correct description.

unfair ☹️

it would be so much simpler if RME didn’t have such confusing names for different versions of their dacs

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO they should just add a rev B, rev C, rev D on the back if they want to keep their names unchanged.

Last edited:

mjoshi

hang on, you guys are getting annoyed with me when:
- the Amazon ad describes the dac incorrectly
- you have to have prior knowledge of the precise spot to zoom in on in order to see the correct description.

unfair ☹️

it would be so much simpler if RME didn’t have such confusing names for different versions of their dacs
I think you are right, for someone who is totally new to this - it is very confusing when different websites lists different things.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hang on, you guys are getting annoyed with me
Believe me, it is nothing short of personal.;) As you probably guessed, I (and many) answered this question... A lot. It almost looks like a running gag now.
Anyway: yes, RME names are hugely confusing, so is the pro world Vs consumer audiophile market!:p

Chuu

IMO they should just add a rev B, rev C, rev D on the back of they want to keep their names unchanged.

Honestly they're probably leaving money on the floor by not making it highly distinguishable. Like if they called it the the "ADI-2 DAC FS 2" even though the upgrades are incremental, there is a certain segment of the hobby that absolutely would feel compelled to upgrade because of that "2" at the end.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Believe me, it is nothing short of personal.;) As you probably guessed, I (and many) answered this question... A lot. It almost looks like a running gag now.
Anyway: yes, RME names are hugely confusing, so is the pro world Vs consumer audiophile market!:p

The other thing that I find annoying is that whenever I see a a thread tilted RME something-or-other FS I get all excited because I think someone is selling a unit :)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
there is a certain segment of the hobby that absolutely would feel compelled to upgrade because of that "2" at the end.
You mean... Like me?:p

Joke aside, RME, being a pro audio company, doesn't shine at misleading BS Marketing. I agree this should not have kept its original name unchanged, but "2" would sound a bit too much for just a knew remote and a slightly better (still very "similar") chip.

wynpalmer

Technical Expert
The other thing that I find annoying is that whenever I see a a thread tilted RME something-or-other FS I get all excited because I think someone is selling a unit :)
Which one- the pro or the DAC?

wynpalmer

Technical Expert
You mean... Like me?:p

Joke aside, RME, being a pro audio company, doesn't shine at misleading BS Marketing. I agree this should not have kept its original name unchanged, but "2" would sound a bit too much for just a knew remote and a slightly better (still very "similar") chip.
And, like me- even though I bought a pro FS about 18 months ago. The ability to go full digital/balanced with a remote and to scrap my SE passive volume control was just too much to ignore :rolleyes:

hayche

This measures better that the Topping Dx3 pro but will it sound better? Wondering if it is worth upgrading too based purely on sound quality. I use dx3 pro as headamp dac combo with HD800.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This measures better that the Topping Dx3 pro but will it sound better? Wondering if it is worth upgrading too based purely on sound quality. I use dx3 pro as headamp dac combo with HD800.

If you're planning to use the DSP features it will sound a lot better.

If not, it will sound pretty much the same.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're planning to use the DSP features it will sound a lot better.

If not, it will sound pretty much the same.
Max volume, maybe. But lowering the digital volume versus Auto Ref makes the ADI-2 DAC have better SINAD.

Top Bottom