• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

ZeDestructor

Ok. Now, you completly forgot features... :facepalm:

Tell me, which device can do all these things in one package? DAC, Extremely precise Preamp up to 7V output (with Auto Ref Level), powerfull and clean headamp, very clean IEM out, DSP (double EQ, crossfeed etc), very good screen and firmware updates, perfectly stable USB, all fitting in a 20 X 13cm enclosure and costing 989€?... Not only there's no "better alternative for less", but no alternative at all.

Sure, if all your needs are only a fixed 2V RCA out, then get a Topping E30 and be happy. If you use all the features of the ADI-2 like some do...

Don't forget the excellent relay-based volume control which is excellent for stereo speaker setups where the amps are set to fixed gain. Less useful for crazy people like me who want multichannel though (we're stuck in the land of digital volume control if we want to keep our hair on our heads)

Ibsen

I’m not sure exactly how I’ll use RME DAC yet... The EQ, pre-amp functionality with remote will come in very handy. I’ve been a little compulsive lately and also order the Topping A90 and D90 MQA... :-D

I’m reevaluating my system and will spend some time subjectively listening with the rest of my gear and settle to an arrangement. I’ll likely pair the RME with my Hypex NC400 monos driving SB Accoustics Micros in my home office. The main reason I got the RME was to be able to correct some frequency resonances - my home office is in the attic. I have less than optimal speaker placement options...
I believe you should listen both setups and sell to me ( a good price) the “worse” one..

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Best power cord for the RME ADI-2 DAC: no cord.

(oh dear... my desk is sooo dusty... I'll get a wood finish next time ;-)
IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
The ADI-2 DAC is now in my main system for some weekend subjective long term A/B testing. So far I had only listened to it with my headphones. Trying to keep all variables the same whether they have an impact on sound or not - I haven't level matched yet, subjectively the ADI-2 sounds louder.

So far I'm very impressed with the sound (causally listening while working in the sweet spot). It sounds very rounded and smooth with gobs of "natural" detail. The bass is very articulate. The RME is set as a DAC with volume and tone controls off. The Freya S is being used in passive mode for now.

ADIvsYggy.png

Last edited:

Ibsen

The ADI-2 DAC is now in my main system for some weekend subjective long term A/B testing. So far I had only listened to it with my headphones. Trying to keep all variables the same whether they have an impact on sound or not - I haven't level matched yet, subjectively the ADI-2 sounds louder.

So far I'm very impressed with the sound (causally listening while working in the sweet spot). It sounds very rounded and smooth with gobs of "natural" detail. The bass is very articulate. The RME is set as a DAC with volume and tone controls off. The Freya S is being used in passive mode for now.

View attachment 66158
Any difference using Freya in between?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Any difference using Freya in between?

I’m keeping the Freya S in so I can easily switch between 2 balanced DACs and keep everything surrounding the DACs as equal as possible so I can try to spot differences between them.

I did a quick test by opening the Freya S volume completely in passive mode, and using the ADI-2 ref volume. Not a huge difference, but I thought the Freya passive sounded a little more defined. I’m splitting hairs here, I’ll need to do that test a few more times to be more conclusive.

Listening to headphones, I also preferred using the Heresy amp driving my 177X GO than directly connected to the ADI-2. Same thing, the sound felt a little more defined, more planted. It’s subjective for sure, but, to my now aging ears, there’s a small difference.

Last edited:

Ibsen

I’m keeping the Freya in so I can easily switch between 2 balanced DACs and keep everything surrounding the DACs as equal as possible so I can try to spot differences between them.

I did a quick test by opening the Freya volume completely in passive mode, and using the ADI-2 ref volume. Not a huge difference, but I thought the Freya passive sounded a little more defined. I’m splitting hairs here, I’ll need to do that test a few more times to be more conclusive.

Listening to headphones, I also preferred using the Heresy amp driving my 177X GO than directly connected to the ADI-2. Same thing, the sound felt a little more defined, more planted. It’s subjective for sure, but, to my now aging ears, there’s a small difference.

Ibsen

I don't think there can be any real sonic differences. The beauty of the ADI-2 is the many additional features. I would sell the Freya and use the ADI- 2 as a preamp.
Maybe the inputs are needed. Perhaps, besides the Additional inputs , Freya+ may sound nice as well

Willem

Major Contributor
Sonically anything added to the ADI-2 can only degrade the sound. As for inputs, the ADI alteady has many and it is easy to add more with an auto input switch. The only input it does nor have is anything analogue. I don't miss that but my family wanted to keep the turntable so I added a Projekt ebox phono mm preamp plus adc with optical out.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I don't think there can be any real sonic differences. The beauty of the ADI-2 is the many additional features. I would sell the Freya and use the ADI- 2 as a preamp.

My intention is to move the ADI-2 to a different system and use the Topping D90 instead. For now I’m just enjoying the ADI-2 in my main system and evaluating its (very positive) sonic impact.

I‘m likely to keep the Freya S for its transparent volume control and convenient remote.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Sonically anything added to the ADI-2 can only degrade the sound. As for inputs, the ADI alteady has many and it is easy to add more with an auto input switch. The only input it does nor have is anything analogue. I don't miss that but my family wanted to keep the turntable so I added a Projekt ebox phono mm preamp plus adc with optical out.

I agree, less is more, I might replace my current pre and DAC with it.

Cevisi

Is that football playing panther the best one ? I thought the golfing one :D

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many times I thought of asking you. I presume you played rugby, yes? Time of Skrela, Rives, Bofelli and others or are you a Dusautoir aged flanker?
:)
Hum...

True thing is... I don't play rugby...nor watch it.:eek:

Which is kind of inappropriate, when you know that most part of my family is from Toulon and Castres. :facepalm:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I’ve been subjectively comparing the D90 MQA and the ADI-2 v2 with the A90 and headphones, and in my speaker system. In the speaker system it feeds a Freya S in passive mode followed by Nord SE Purifi monos powering SB Accustics ARA Be and a pair of REL subs; analog connections Hypex balanced XLR cables and Supra speaker cables (I like the Swedish pale blue).

Both DACs are set with fixed output and the ADI-2 has its Ref Level at +7dB.

With the A90 and headphones, I can’t tell both DACs appart. They are equally resolving and detailed with no apparent sonic signature.

Now, in my speaker system the ADI-2 set as a DAC gives me listening fatigue pretty quickly. And it doesn’t sound as “rounded” as the D90. It feels like it is picking up some high frequency noise or generating distortion at high frequencies. Now, bypassing the Freya S and using it as a DAC/Pre combo directly connected to the Purifi monos doesn’t give me listening fatigue - that might be the right combination BTW... :)

I’m not sure what’s going on, I don’t have any equipment I can use to measure. I’m just curious to know if any one has a huntch of what could be going on. Could it be a faulty ground connection somewhere? Could the Freya S be picking up or generating noise affecting the ADI-2 (the D90 seems immune to it)? Would star quad XLR cables help isolate DAC and amps from possible interference?

Here are diagrams showing what the whole system looks like with and without the Freya S:

Home System with Pre Amp.png

Home System without Pre Amp.png

Last edited:

ShiZo

Forum Donor
I’ve been subjectively comparing the D90 MQA and the ADI-2 v2 with the A90 and headphones, and in my speaker system. In the speaker system it feeds a Freya S in passive mode followed by Nord SE Purifi monos powering SB Accustics ARA Be and a pair of REL subs; analog connections Hypex balanced XLR cables and Supra speaker cables (I like the Swedish pale blue).

With the A90 and headphones, I can’t tell both DACs appart. They are equally resolving and detailed with no apparent sonic signature.

Now, in my speaker system the ADI-2 set as a DAC gives me listening fatigue pretty quickly. And it doesn’t sound as “rounded” as the D90. It feels like it is picking up some high frequency noise or generating distortion at high frequencies. Now, bypassing the Freya S and using it as a DAC/Pre combo directly connected to the Purifi monos doesn’t give me listening fatigue - that might be the right combination BTW... :)

I’m not sure what’s going on, I don’t have any equipment I can use to measure. I’m just curious to know if any one has a huntch of what could be going on. Could it be a faulty ground connection somewhere? Could the Freya S be picking up or generating noise affecting the ADI-2 (the D90 seems immune to it)? Would star quad XLR cables help isolate DAC and amps from possible interference?

Here are diagrams showing what the whole system looks like with and without the Freya S:

View attachment 67138

View attachment 67139
I highly doubt the rme is picking up interference. It's like tbe most immune dac especially wjen using xlrs.

Last edited:

Oukkidoukki

View attachment 67138

View attachment 67139

I have old rme adi 2 from 2005...........used to consider it cold, metallic or something like that, just like you.....until I tested some xlr cables...I go straight to active studio monitors.............Better ones made the difference, and now its breathtaking every time without faults even though old tech..........frequenzy spectrum is perfect............they will say this is bs, but thats my experience......I dont wanna mention any brands so they dont blame me, so google yourself......and try.......it could be that rme is actually more accurate (than d90) and will sound little harsh if the cables arent spot on......

Top Bottom