• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Jim777

Forum Donor
So, you do measurements in REW and do the correction on the RME DSP?
What is junk? Sonarworks?

REW should work fine, but I have not experimented enough with it to suggest a good workflow. As I hinted, I need to find the time to play with it. The 5-band EQ might be limited for this application, but I hope it can help a little.

The "piece of junk" was NOT Sonarworks. It was a standalone device that can stream music and comes with a mic and calibration software, with outputs to your amp or preamp. It had too many bugs and issues IMO. As you can see, I don't feel like mentioning the company name, as they kindly accepted the device be returned.

feyded1020

...Anyone have a crossfeed plus eq combo setting that would resemble IFi's "3D+" setting that sometimes helps open up claustrophobic headphones/recordings?

I too would LOVE to know this as well, I very much miss my 3D+ Sound from my iFi iDSD micro Black Label.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Very nice performance again! They managed to take one of the best products out there and still push it forward!

ezra_s

Forum Donor
In some other forum I read this about the headphone amp section of this device..

"there is no denying the fact that RME's built in head amp isn't the best, and treble fails apart on some phones resulting in poor imaging in best case scenario, and it's not just me, there are multiple reviewers that confirmed it including inner fidelity, and adding an external head amp even an midrange one to your setup will improve performance, that however does not diminish ADI DAC-2 fs performance as world class dac. "

Since replying to this from my ignorance in the other forum may rise a flame war I do not wish to start and I just want to comprehend..

Can someone explain to me what is this person refering to exactly? As I see here RME headphone amp measures greatly.

Thanks in advance.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In some other forum I read this about the headphone amp section of this device..

"there is no denying the fact that RME's built in head amp isn't the best, and treble fails apart on some phones resulting in poor imaging in best case scenario, and it's not just me, there are multiple reviewers that confirmed it including inner fidelity, and adding an external head amp even an midrange one to your setup will improve performance, that however does not diminish ADI DAC-2 fs performance as world class dac. "

Since replying to this from my ignorance in the other forum may rise a flame war I do not wish to start and I just want to comprehend..

Can someone explain to me what is this person refering to exactly? As I see here RME headphone amp measures greatly.
He’s one of a billion people on the Internet that read something then pretend they also have familiarity with it to make people think they are authoritative on the subject. In other words, he’s a liar.

He read this article, by John Grandberg, who does zero testing, and thought a better amplifier would make the DAC sound better. The reviewer chose the Rupert Neve which did NOT get a good review from ASR.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone explain to me what is this person refering to exactly?
To litteraly nothing relevant.

One day, some random audiophile (or reviewer) created the idea that an all-in-one unit cannot be good at all it does. So it has to be either a good DAC or a good headamp, or a good preamp. Then he (or she) started to writting this theory in many many forums/reviews. Each time another random audiophile red that, he (or she) started to believe this theory... which became a truth in pepole's mind. Once you believe in something you believe to hear it as well.

Also, the ADI-2 DAC is coming from the Pro world, so it has to sound sterile, thin, cold, non-musical etc etc.

Of course, I guess you heard this mostly from Head-Fi, which is the perfect exemple of places where truths are made from nothing. ;)

Conclusion: 100% BS.

The reviewer chose the Rupert Neve which did NOT get a good review from ASR.

The Nubert has an analog volume plot, so it sounds louder faster. The end.:cool:

CJH

I assume the ADI-2 does not have dual DACS like the Pro--correct?
CJH

Takanaka

Forum Donor
Would you guys say the ADI-2 Pro is worth it over the DAC for the double single output and ADC?

I've been rocking a Brooklyn DAC+ with a balanced adapter, but some people here are saying there's no real benefit to using a balanced connection except if the single ended part of the amp is poorly designed. But the headphones I have are rather power hungry such as the ZMF Ori, Auteur and Audeze LCD2.

The ADC I will likely use for digitally recording vinyl.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but some people here are saying there's no real benefit to using a balanced connection except if the single ended part of the amp is poorly designed. But the headphones I have are rather power hungry such as the ZMF Ori, Auteur and Audeze LCD2.

All those will be just fine with the ADI-2 DAC. Balanced headphones outs really just gets you twice the power which sounds like a lot, but is only 3 dB more volume.

The ADC I will likely use for digitally recording vinyl.

The excellent ADC is what would make the pro worth it.

dfuller

Major Contributor

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Man, just got this baby delivered today... The amount of music information that comes through my headphones is just phenomenal. Good measurements do translate in good sound. F...ing phenomenal!!

Current (quarantine home office) desk setup:
Tidal and Amazon HD on MacOS
USB
ADI-2 DAC

Heresy (preferring it for now)
DT 177X GO

A.West

Forum Donor
This is a great machine once you get it set up and used to the controls. The EQ has just enough tuning with 5 adjustable Qs to get close to optimal using some creativity, and the graph makes it easy to see the net effect. Once I programmed in HD800 and LCD-2F headphones and installed the USB driver, the sound quality has been great. Lo power mode is plenty of volume for me with these cans. No more need for Equalizer APO. Which means i can use this device in Amazon music HD "exclusive mode" and still get the best sound, with EQ in-box. How many DACs can do that? For a few recordings the crossfeed options come in handy.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I’m not sure exactly how I’ll use RME DAC yet... The EQ, pre-amp functionality with remote will come in very handy. I’ve been a little compulsive lately and also order the Topping A90 and D90 MQA... :-D

I’m reevaluating my system and will spend some time subjectively listening with the rest of my gear and settle to an arrangement. I’ll likely pair the RME with my Hypex NC400 monos driving SB Accoustics Micros in my home office. The main reason I got the RME was to be able to correct some frequency resonances - my home office is in the attic. I have less than optimal speaker placement options...

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not sure exactly how I’ll use RME DAC yet... The EQ, pre-amp functionality with remote will come in very handy. I’ve been a little compulsive lately and also order the Topping A90 and D90 MQA... :-D

I’m reevaluating my system and will spend some time subjectively listening with the rest of my gear and settle to an arrangement. I’ll likely pair the RME with my Hypex NC400 monos driving SB Accoustics Micros in my home office. The main reason I got the RME was to be able to correct some frequency resonances - my home office is in the attic. I have less than optimal speaker placement options...
The ADI-2 will be a better preamp than the D90 alone. With a fixed output, you can't go wrong with the SOTA A90 as preamp with both, but you'll have to forgot the remote for that use.
I you do really need the extra power of the A90 and the features and convenience of the ADI-2: Just keep the best of both worlds: ADI-2 and A90.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
My preliminary thinking was to keep the A90 for headphone amp duty only with the RME feeding it as a DAC driving my Sundara’s in balanced mode. And the RME as Pre-amp when listening to speakers from my desk (I like speakers) with the conviniance of a remote control. That would involve changing the XLR connections for different listening scenarios. I’ll also try with the A90 as a preamp. We’ll see if an extra gain stage will make the sound more interesting.

I also have my main system that I was intending to use the D90 paired with a Freya S pre amp feeding Nord Purifi monos.

I’ll experiment a bit combining practical and subjective experiences. The Topping components should be here next week.

I also intend to do some subjective testing in my main system comparing the D90 with RME with my current Yggdrasil as DACs (doing my best to level match using my Phonic analyser). Should be interesting or very boring if they all sound the same... The Freya with two balanced inputs, passive stage and remote should make switching between 2 DACs at a time easy.

Top Bottom