• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @MC_RME

My V2 AK4493 ADI-2 goes to +6.0dB volume on the display.

But manual suggests a max +2.5dB ?

Or have I misunderstood
1648478090580.png

audiofun

My V2 AK4493 ADI-2 goes to +6.0dB volume on the display.

But manual suggests a max +2.5dB ?
+2.5dB is hardware headroom --- you can reach that without clipping.
+6db is digital. If you have full scale sine wave and dial the volume to > +2.5db, your signal starts clipping.

Ilbescio

Hello,

I am one of the super happy owner of the RME ADI 2 FS, freshly bought thanks to Amir's review.

At the moment I have a Fidelio x2hr, a Sundara, plus a HD650 and a NAD HP50 both arriving. In order to close the circle (for the moment) I would like to ad a closed back medium/high level and I was looking at a couple of Drop's offers:
- E-MU WOOD (25 Ohm, 106dB)
- Dan Clark Aeon Closed X (12.5 Ohm, 91dB)
- MRSPEAKERS ETHER CX CLOSED (23 Ohm, 92 dB)

Do anyone of you have tried one of the above with RME ADI 2 FS? I am a bit worried because their are all pretty low impedance and low sensitivity (which according to Amir's review could end up in non optimal combo for this DAC/AMP).

In case you have any additional suggestions about closed premium under $700 that would fit within my collection you are more than welcome (please note I am in EU)

Thanks a lot in advance

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

I am one of the super happy owner of the RME ADI 2 FS, freshly bought thanks to Amir's review.

At the moment I have a Fidelio x2hr, a Sundara, plus a HD650 and a NAD HP50 both arriving. In order to close the circle (for the moment) I would like to ad a closed back medium/high level and I was looking at a couple of Drop's offers:

Do anyone of you have tried one of the above with RME ADI 2 FS? I am a bit worried because their are all pretty low impedance and low sensitivity (which according to Amir's review could end up in non optimal combo for this DAC/AMP).

In case you have any additional suggestions about closed premium under $700 that would fit within my collection you are more than welcome (please note I am in EU)

Thanks a lot in advance
Welcome to ASR and congrats on your ADI-2.
From your requirements, and checking Crin's rankings and measurements, maybe the Fostex TH610 (€600) fits your needs? You can try the mid-range EQ settings on your ADI-2 if you like.

Last edited:

Ilbescio

Thanks for your quick reply. I will surely consider the TH-610...
Do you agree with my concerns about the three above (particularly aeon and MRSPEAKERS)?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your quick reply. I will surely consider the TH-610...
Do you agree with my concerns about the three above (particularly aeon and MRSPEAKERS)?
I don't know about particular models but in general the headphone output is quite powerful as the man himself demonstrates below with several models of headphones. You can always order from somewhere with a gentle return policy and try it yourself too, worst case just return it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

Thanks a lot in advance
It shouldnt struggle with any, especially not the EMU or any of the Fostex variants

I have the Aeon Open RT and the Ether CX and the RME handles both. I run with a -5db preamp at source and the RME doesnt need to go past around -15db for my listening levels. I think even with heavy EQ you would go deaf quickly if you tried to max the amp for more than briefest periods.

TK33

Hello,

Thanks a lot in advance
I have the Aeon 2 Noire and have no issues driving them with the RME ADI-2. Very happy with the combo.

mugbot

Forum Donor
Hello,

Thanks a lot in advance
I also have the Aeon 2 Noire, and the ADI-2 is plenty powerful. Typically I don't even need to go into high gain mode, unless the source is really quiet, and even then there's stacks of headroom in the volume control.

JohnnyHonda

Forum Donor
Sorry if this is a question that has been asked before…… But what dB loudness level should I put the RME at as an input to my electrostatic headphone amplifier which has its own volume knob? I’m thinking -13 dB is about right, but I’m not sure. In this case, I’m only using the RME for its DAC capability and it’s equalization to my electrostatic headphone amplifier. I think if the setting is too high, it probably overloads the electrostatic amplifier. Or should I set the RME differently? Thanks everyone

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry if this is a question that has been asked before…… But what dB loudness level should I put the RME at as an input to my electrostatic headphone amplifier which has its own volume knob? I’m thinking -13 dB is about right, but I’m not sure. In this case, I’m only using the RME for its DAC capability and it’s equalization to my electrostatic headphone amplifier. I think if the setting is too high, it probably overloads the electrostatic amplifier. Or should I set the RME differently? Thanks everyone
You really need to know the input clipping /sensitivity level of your amp. Also, rca or xlr out of the dac? Someone will help if you tell us the amp.

jasoncd

Dumb question maybe. I’ve got an ADI 2 and it’s great. The PEQ is a lifesaver to knock down the larger room modes.

I switched some of my gear and setups around, and find myself with the ADI going by XLR to a power amp and by RCA to powered subs. ADI is handling volume control, but I also now have an unused Benchmark HPA4. Any point in inserting it in the chain as the preamp and volume control? I’d lose the loudness feature, but could live with that. I don’t do too much very quiet listening.

No headphone listening happening, for now at least. So does the HPA4 get me any potential benefit? Seems a little silly to add an extra box if it doesn’t add anything. Also seems sad to see the HPA4 sit in a box in a closet.

JohnnyHonda

Forum Donor
You really need to know the input clipping /sensitivity level of your amp. Also, rca or xlr out of the dac? Someone will help if you tell us the amp.
I have a Mjolnir KGSShv amplifier for my Stax L700 headphones and use the XLR outputs.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Mjolnir KGSShv amplifier for my Stax L700 headphones and use the XLR outputs.
I cant find any specs for that amp but I didnt look too hard. This post might be useful as it tells you how to get the standard 4v from the xlr- maybe start with that and if you dont hear it clipping I guess you are good.

Top Bottom