• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

dlieb

Have you tried the genric one here ?

I'm not sure Bamboo, or any external material, has such an importance. For Closed Back HP, it should, but for Open Back...I'm not that sure.

The oratory EQ has too many bands for the RME. I have the 2020 version of the LCD-2 and I use the first 5 bands given here: https://forum.headphones.com/t/lcd-2f-2020-review/6578/21

It sounds fantastic, but if you don't have the 2020 version these settings may not be as useful.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got a Singxer SA-1 and Topping D50S dac. I'm going to sell the D50S and ultimately I'd like the ADI-2 to be my "endgame" DAC. Really it's the PEQ that I'm mainly interested in. Is there any advantage to using ADI-2 with the SA-1 or should I sell that too to reduce my outlay on the RME? I'm using headphones only at the moment (HD800 with balanced cable).

The RME will drive the HD800 just fine so no worries there. You will need to get a balanced to single ended adapter (assume your wire is xlr at the minute, so XLR to 6.35mm but thats $20-30 from amazon etc) .

But , EQ aside, you shouldnt notice any difference in sound between the RME and the Topping. Can you not EQ at source and keep the existing rig?

I own a rme adi 2, so I am biased. I think it is a fine combo choice for it's price. Only problem for your situation is it lacks a balanced headphone output.

Whoops, @Jimbob54 beat me to it as I was writing my reply... What he said ;)

ishmeister

The RME will drive the HD800 just fine so no worries there. You will need to get a balanced to single ended adapter (assume your wire is xlr at the minute, so XLR to 6.35mm but thats $20-30 from amazon etc) .

But , EQ aside, you shouldnt notice any difference in sound between the RME and the Topping. Can you not EQ at source and keep the existing rig?
Thanks. Yes it's an XLR cable. I'm trying to get my setup out of the office. I work from home and I'm in the office all day. My plan is to have a simple setup using a raspberry pi as source in a quiet part of the house and can relax in.

I love the HD800 with EQ but it's horrible without it. I did consider other headphones but there are so many compromises.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Yes it's an XLR cable. I'm trying to get my setup out of the office. I work from home and I'm in the office all day. My plan is to have a simple setup using a raspberry pi as source in a quiet part of the house and can relax in.

I love the HD800 with EQ but it's horrible without it. I did consider other headphones but there are so many compromises.
I dont use a Pi so others will chime in but my understanding is that you can get builds that can do PEQ and then feed that into your Topping. I would try that before going all the way to an RME . But the RME is a great bit of kit- just not actually magical.

ishmeister

I dont use a Pi so others will chime in but my understanding is that you can get builds that can do PEQ and then feed that into your Topping. I would try that before going all the way to an RME . But the RME is a great bit of kit- just not actually magical.
Thanks, I'll look into that. I didn't know about the XLR adapter so that's a good call given how expensive HD800 cables are.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

radix

Major Contributor
The oratory EQ has too many bands for the RME. I have the 2020 version of the LCD-2 and I use the first 5 bands given here: https://forum.headphones.com/t/lcd-2f-2020-review/6578/21

It sounds fantastic, but if you don't have the 2020 version these settings may not be as useful.

You can find the RME-specific list here

EDIT: I clicked on the wrong list, they do not have an RME-specific EQ for the LCD-2F.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @MC_RME

Is this highlighted part correct? In my experience, macOS and Linux all support the same sample rates supported with ASIO ?

1645962155944.png

storing

Forum Donor
That sentence follows 'Under windows...wasapi...limited...' so is likely about Windows only.

Veri

Master Contributor
Windows can't send highest sample rate over DirectSound so I suppose that's what is meant. Also IIRC, on OSX DSD is DoP by default? So on either operating system you would need ASIO (or WASAPI) for highest rates.

Miska

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Windows can't send highest sample rate over DirectSound so I suppose that's what is meant. Also IIRC, on OSX DSD is DoP by default? So on either operating system you would need ASIO (or WASAPI) for highest rates.

Since the DAC always uses DoP (it doesn't have native DSD, with ASIO the driver is just doing DoP packing), you can get same functionality under any OS. 705.6k PCM rate supported by ADI-2 is enough for DSD256 over DoP.

I've been successfully doing DSD256 playback and recording with ADI-2 Pro on macOS. In fact, the second ADI-2 Pro has always been attached to just Macs. At the moment to Mac Mini M1.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @MC_RME I know ADI-2 is "Class Compliant" but is there any advantages with using ASIO on Win10 over Linux/macOS ?

sharagan

I am not sure if my question is RME related or headphone related. I am using an RME ADI-2 FS in combination with the Meze Empyrean headphone. When using a short custom made cable all is good. When I am using the factory provided 3m long cable I hear a silent hum, when nothing is playing. The hum goes away, when I grab the outer case of the 1/4 Inch plug, which is inserted into the dac. I let go, the hum comes back. Is it an issue with the cable or a ground loop related to the dac or something else? Thanks in advance.

gvl

Major Contributor
This device has been on my wish list for some time and I finally pulled the trigger. Blind tests aside, out of the box factory settings no EQ it sounds a bit more detailed but also a hair more incisive than the Sabaj D5 which was my daily driver for some time. Often the initial impression dissolves with some use but I spent a day switching back and forth and it lingers. This is the new ESS version. Anyone else experienced similar?

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
I am not sure if my question is RME related or headphone related. I am using an RME ADI-2 FS in combination with the Meze Empyrean headphone. When using a short custom made cable all is good. When I am using the factory provided 3m long cable I hear a silent hum, when nothing is playing. The hum goes away, when I grab the outer case of the 1/4 Inch plug, which is inserted into the dac. I let go, the hum comes back. Is it an issue with the cable or a ground loop related to the dac or something else? Thanks in advance.
That's not a typical ground loop, but a missing ground. You notice the leakage current of the power supply, flowing over the headphones and your body to ground (earth). Give the ADI a connection to ground and the effect will be gone. Has also been discussed here (and the RME forum) before.

sharagan

That's not a typical ground loop, but a missing ground. You notice the leakage current of the power supply, flowing over the headphones and your body to ground (earth). Give the ADI a connection to ground and the effect will be gone. Has also been discussed here (and the RME forum) before.
Thank you. What would be please the easiest way to add ground?

Last edited:

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Plug an audio cable into the ADI and a grounded device (power amp). Even a useless connection could be useful here, for example using the SPDIF input and connecting the other end of the cable to something that is earthed, not using SPDIF at all. Only the ground/shield connection counts.

gvl

Major Contributor
@MC_RME are the single-ended and balanced outputs on the ADI-2 DAC independently buffered?

Top Bottom