• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS R BE + Turntable...and what else??

Hello,

I'll keep this simple. I am looking at getting the RME ADI-2 FS R BE or the new RME 2/4

I want to be able to connect a turntable to the RME DAC and take advantage of the ADC.

I have seen many diagrams with ppl having 4-5 devices from TT to speakers. The RME BE or 2/4 cuts out some with the built in ADC, but what else do I need to buy?

I've been reading pages and pages and haven't found a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
From the manual for the device. No preamp needed for MM cartridges.

1668485546715.png

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Normally you need a phono preamp, which brings the (very weak) cartridge signal to line-level and applies the RIAA EQ.

I have seen many diagrams with ppl having 4-5 devices from TT to speakers.
In the vinyl days you'd just plug the turntable into your receiver (or amplifier or preamp) and you're done... Most AVRs don't have phono preamps but some do, and some modern stereo receivers still have a phono input.

Some turntables have built-in preamps. There are a LOT of turntables with USB for digitizing records and virtually all of those have line-level outputs since they need a preamp anyway. Most USB turntables are cheap junk but some are decent.

P.S.
You may know this already (or you may already have a turntable) but most "good" turntables are sold without a cartridge. Again, USB turntables are an exception. They are sold "ready to go".

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The new 2/4 has RIAA mode. Does this mean that a preamp is not necessary?
For moving magnet carts yes. The black edition has an adc, you’d need a phono stage to do the riaa eq. Thats what I do.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Parks Audio Puffin with digital out (toslink or S/PDIF) is your answer.
Kind of, but as cool as the Puffin is it’s adc is no where near the performance of the rme devices.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I posted some measurements here

Top Bottom