• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rme adi 2 dac

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm been looking for a nice amp to pair with my rme adi 2 dac. Is the aune x7s good enough? The only restriction is I want something not too big. It has to be a little wider than the rme. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Headphonaholic

The RME ADI 2 DAC has a headphone amp built in and it was my understanding that it was good. Is there something in particular you don't like about it?

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
I'm looking for an endgame amp. If there isn't one that is better than I guess I should stop. Maybe the benchmark hpa4 is the only way to go.

derp1n

:facepalm:

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Yeah, I'm probably chasing the dragon. I think the pro fs model has a stronger amp section making this one more dac focused. I want to get some HE5's as well.

Sythrix

Yeah, I'm probably chasing the dragon. I think the pro fs model has a stronger amp section making this one more dac focused. I want to get some HE5's as well.

If this site has taught me anything, it's that most of those dragons don't measure all that great for the price to performance ratio.

If you're concerned about peak power (which really, I would only worry about if you are planning on getting HE6s, unless you want to go deaf in record time) then I would stick around for the review of the THX 789 from Massdrop that Amir will be reviewing. It has similar power output to the Benchmark and everything looks very good from their specs... but again, wait for the measurements to confirm. Wasting tons of money on something that turns out to not be any better than your built-in amp on the RME would hurt a lot more than the time you spend doing a little research.

derp1n

No, it doesn't, it's the same. But it has two, so you can use it balanced... although there is no point doing so.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The "THX" based amplifiers as mentioned are the only ones with hopes of bettering what you already have. So I would not get anything else until those reviews come out.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You won’t find an amp that offers any audible improvement over the amp in your current DAC @ShiZo.

It outputs plenty of power, generates minuscule distortion, and has an output impedance of almost zero.

Adding an amp will either degrade the signal or (more likely) have absolutely no audible effect IMHO.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned both but not in the same time. I tend to qualify the X7S being warmer and smoother than the ADI's amp.

If you're seeking for neutrality, the X7S won't be an upgrade, quite the opposite. If you don't need a balanced output either, both have the same amout of power though their 6,3 jack.

Conclusion: the ADI amp is very neutral, clean and resolving. There is no benefit to ad a X7S unless you want a warmer sound.

Sythrix

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Now just finding where to buy one. I've been trying for months.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
I wonder how to compared to the benchmark hpa 4

Top Bottom