• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI 2 DAC vs. Sanskrit 10 and Khadas Tone Board

billqs

After reading some reviews of the Sanskrit I know there are some problems unless it is run with an independent power supply, after which it does much better. I bought the RME ADI 2 DAC a couple of months ago and it works awesome! I am not using the built-in headphone amps but using the balanced outs to my KGSShv Carbon I just got.

There is no problem with RME, except just audibly I cannot tell the difference between the RME and my Sanskrit 10 which just arrived and uses the same chipset. I also have a Khadas Tone Board which is excellent as well. I can tell minor differences audiby between the Sabre chip and the AKM. I'm liquidating some equipment and don't know if I should sell the RME and go with the Sanskrit and Khadas Tone Board to give me a good example of the AKM 4490 and ESS 9038 chipsets?

I'm currently running DACs through both my KGSShv Carbon for my SR-007 and SR-009, and Emotiva A-100 for my standard headphones.

jasonq997

Forum Donor
I think it comes down to functionality and what you need/want. The RME device provides so much more. But if all you need is a basic DAC then the cheaper options will be fine.

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow. Been dreaming about adi 2. I have smsl sanskrit pro, akm 4490.....Now you say you can't hear the difference....you might have just save me 1000 bucks....thanks.....only problem is rca outs, no balanced......i have great xlr cables, wanna use them to active monitors.....would di box ruin the fidelity?

soundwave76

Forum Donor
It's not just about the chipset. Not even close. RME has engineered a masterpiece, you should keep it imo.

Tatteredmidnight

Wow. Been dreaming about adi 2. I have smsl sanskrit pro, akm 4490.....Now you say you can't hear the difference....you might have just save me 1000 bucks....thanks.....only problem is rca outs, no balanced......i have great xlr cables, wanna use them to active monitors.....would di box ruin the fidelity?
I've used the Behringer MicroHD HD400 to go from unbalanced to balanced, I don't have any measurements, but I was happy with the results. I got that unit after trying an active DI box and being unsatisfied with the performance.

Oukkidoukki

I've used the Behringer MicroHD HD400 to go from unbalanced to balanced, I don't have any measurements, but I was happy with the results. I got that unit after trying an active DI box and being unsatisfied with the performance.
Thanks man.....I have been scared to loose hi fidelity with di box, so I don’t have that....your box is ok, but the thing is I have good sounding xlr cables and that box have trs plugs.......adapters will f up the quality......well, anyhow...out of topic but....just for info if someone is intrested.......i have rme adi 2 from 2004 and smsl sanskrit pro , akm 4490 dac, from 2017.......they go to yamaha hs8 active speakers (one connected at the time ofcourse)......rme connected with quality xlr cables seems to be better match to hs8 amp than smsl with my diy rca ts plug cable (quality plugs and cable).......I can hear that smsl new dac chip has lower thd etc, its more hifi by hair......but there is qualities in rmees balanced xlr connection that make me prefer it........sound is deeper, more 3d, more wow, it jumps out of the speakers, stereo image is stellar, bass is tight............with that unbalanced cable from smsl rme looses, magic comes from balanced connection and certain xlr cable.....random xlr cable was not so exiting.....so this is why I search balanced dac and wanna go straight from there to active speakers, without boxes between....

Tatteredmidnight

Thanks man.....I have been scared to loose hi fidelity with di box, so I don’t have that....your box is ok, but the thing is I have good sounding xlr cables and that box have trs plugs.......adapters will f up the quality......well, anyhow...out of topic but....just for info if someone is intrested.......i have rme adi 2 from 2004 and smsl sanskrit pro , akm 4490 dac, from 2017.......they go to yamaha hs8 active speakers (one connected at the time ofcourse)......rme connected with quality xlr cables seems to be better match to hs8 amp than smsl with my diy rca ts plug cable (quality plugs and cable).......I can hear that smsl new dac chip has lower thd etc, its more hifi by hair......but there is qualities in rmees balanced xlr connection that make me prefer it........sound is deeper, more 3d, more wow, it jumps out of the speakers, stereo image is stellar, bass is tight............with that unbalanced cable from smsl rme looses, magic comes from balanced connection and certain xlr cable.....random xlr cable was not so exiting.....so this is why I search balanced dac and wanna go straight from there to active speakers, without boxes between....
You can always use trs to xlr cables, these are both balanced connections and there is no reason for any signal quality loss.

Going from single ended to balanced with a device like the one I linked will get you common mode rejection over the length of the cable, but probably won't give you the benefit of reducing mains leakage noise, as that will be incorporated in both legs (+/-).

You will probably also sacrifice the higher voltage of a balanced output (I haven't confirmed this, and the transformer is 1:1, but technically a transformer can change AC voltages, which is it's most common use).

The benefit of balanced vs unbalanced could due to mains noise rejection, common mode , or from the higher signal level of the RME balanced outputs).

The consensus around these parts, and my personal opinion, is that cables will not effect sound quality. Obviously a defective or very poorly made cable can degrade performance, but this would require a truely terrible cable. This is born out in blind ABX testing as well as measurements.

OP
B

billqs

I'm glad there's more discussion going on. When I said I couldn't hear a difference, there is no doubt that RME is the better dac. I believe it has measured as close to perfect as there is from Amir's reviews. From engineering to balanced outs, the fact that it has an extremely capabile headphone amp & a separate tap for iems. Plus a lot of ways to manipulate the sound. In retrospect, unless I run into a serious money crunch, it would probably not be wise for me to sell the RME.

Now, if you are looking for just a DAC, SMSL makes some great products that get "much to close for comfort" to some seriously expensive gear. Topping does as well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Sanskrit to anyone looking for an excellent single ended dac.

OP
B

billqs

The consensus around these parts, and my personal opinion, is that cables will not effect sound quality. Obviously a defective or very poorly made cable can degrade performance, but this would require a truely terrible cable. This is born out in blind ABX testing as well as measurements.

+1

Top Bottom