• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 DAC vs Pro for Genelec

linuxfan

i don’t use Genelec in my “Made in Italy setup”.
I use Made in Italy speaker
Sonus Fabwr Sonetto VIII
This chain looks like analog set up
Nice.

in recording studios, how do they get into Genelec, that is, how do they connect all those speakers together?
Well Morten Lindberg said the studio was configured for 7.3.4 multi-channel. There will be some form of high end DAW - possibly Pyramix, controlling some form of audio interface, most likely over LAN - I suspect something like Merging Technologies Horus. I suspect each speaker will have its own AES3 feed, though I think (?) that the audio interface will output a single AES3 signal for each pair of speakers, with the second speaker of the pair being "daisy-chained" from the first speaker (I read that in the GLM manual). The adjustment of the Genelec speakers will almost certainly be fine-tuned by Genelec's GLM control software.

if at this point they use analogue and then genelec does the double conversion ...
It's feasible that the Lindberg studio might be using analogue inputs, and if so, that's no great problem because the A/D conversion inside the Genelecs is quite good. But I doubt this - modern audio interfaces expect studios to be using digital AES3, and I suspect the GLM setup is more aimed at digital inputs.
Either way - don't lose any sleep about whether Lindberg Studios are using analogue or digital inputs to their Genelec monitors - for anyone else the optimal connection to Genelecs is digital AES3. That's the way to go.

i just see but a lot of product have a cheap look, and don’t have the double volume control (knob and remote).
As I alluded to in post #38, if the price tag does not bother you, just go ahead and buy one of the RME models I listed. Just be aware that you will not be using the RME as a DAC - you will be using it as a digital interface/hub.
And now that I think about it, there's another product which would do the same job - the MOTU 8D - at one-third of the price -
https://motu.com/products/avb/8d

Last edited:

jhenderson0107

i just see but a lot of product have a cheap look, and don’t have the double volume control (knob and remote).
I'm wondering something. But in recording studios, how do they get into Genelec, that is, how do they connect all those speakers together?

Because if at this point they use analogue and then genelec does the double conversion, then I think it is useless to debate a lot on these topics, as, they are the ones who create the music. Am I wrong? What could we ever get more than them by skipping a conversion step?
In my home theater, I use Genelec for the 7 bed layer driven by Altitude 16. Front LCR receive AES and remaining channels receive differential analog via XLR. In my experience, transparency of Genelecs fed via analog and digital are equivalent.

Last edited:

ing.daniele

And now that I think about it, there's another product which would do the same job - the MOTU 8D - at one-third of the price -
https://motu.com/products/avb/8d
Thank you very much. Your advice is accurate and professional. If MOTU 8D had remote control and volume knob I would buy it right away. Look in my opinion, the possibility of having a very good parametric equalizer on ADI 2 is a great thing. Now I think Adì can only handle 2 channels while 8D can handle many more using AES, is that correct?

linuxfan

quite good or really good?
I see only a simple AK4621EF chip on the circuit board, nothing special.

If MOTU 8D had remote control and volume knob I would buy it right away.
For volume control you should probably be using Genelec's own GLM management system, via the GLM network adapter -
https://www.genelec.com/glm-kit
with a wired volume controller -
https://www.genelec.com/9310b-wired-volume-controller
or wireless volume controller -
https://www.genelec.com/9101b-wireless-volume-controller

Now I think ADI can only handle 2 channels while 8D can handle many more using AES, is that correct?
Actually the Motu 8D can provide just 4 channels of AES3. Now that you're starting to talk multichannel, things start to get a bit complicated. If you want to aim for 7.1.4 multichannel (Dolby Atmos) you will need 12 channels of AES3. I think you will need something like the Motu 112D (which can handle 24 channels of AES3) -
https://motu.com/products/avb/112d

And since we are now dealing with multi-channel, I think that GLM control will be essential - not just for volume control, but for complete system setup.
I also see in the GLM documentation reference to a multichannel AES3 interface from Genelec - the 9301B. If you already have your 12 channels of AES3 from the Motu 112D, I can't see why this is needed ... but it's now at the point where you should consult Genelec support for setup advice.

Last edited:

linuxfan

Of course we're talking about multichannel playback from a computer system, where the computer decodes the surround encoding and splits it into the individual channels. This is an alternative approach to using a dedicated AV Receiver.
If Dolby Atmos playback is required, I understand the only compatible playback application is the Dolby Reference Player -
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/imme...olby-truehd-atmos-on-windows-and-macos-r1092/

And while it's feasible that you could use a Blu-ray player as a source device via HDMI into the computer (not sure about copy protection issues?) it would be more straightforward to deal with file playback from hard drive.
ing.daniele, I suggest you start collecting and storing all of your multichannel audio titles on hard drive - obtaining direct downloads wherever possible, and otherwise ripping Blu-ray discs.

ing.daniele

I see only a simple AK4621EF chip on the circuit board, nothing special.

For volume control you should probably be using Genelec's own GLM management system, via the GLM network adapter -
https://www.genelec.com/glm-kit
with a wired volume controller -
https://www.genelec.com/9310b-wired-volume-controller
or wireless volume controller -
https://www.genelec.com/9101b-wireless-volume-controller

Actually the Motu 8D can provide just 4 channels of AES3. Now that you're starting to talk multichannel, things start to get a bit complicated. If you want to aim for 7.1.4 multichannel (Dolby Atmos) you will need 12 channels of AES3. I think you will need something like the Motu 112D (which can handle 24 channels of AES3) -
https://motu.com/products/avb/112d

And since we are now dealing with multi-channel, I think that GLM control will be essential - not just for volume control, but for complete system setup.
I also see in the GLM documentation reference to a multichannel AES3 interface from Genelec - the 9301B. If you already have your 12 channels of AES3 from the Motu 112D, I can't see why this is needed ... but it's now at the point where you should consult Genelec support for setup advice.
I am pleased to present an Italian elation:

real DDC, good price, excellent engineering

he can add a digital volume control by remote control

linuxfan

Yes, M2Tech has a good reputation, and that particular model looks ideal for your present stereo setup of Mac USB-to-Genelecs.
Things will get more complicated in the future if you decide to go multichannel.

ing.daniele

Yes, M2Tech has a good reputation, and that particular model looks ideal for your present stereo setup of Mac USB-to-Genelecs.
Things will get more complicated in the future if you decide to go multichannel.
Future
Probably 10 years

What do you think about Lake People ?

linuxfan

I had never heard of Lake People until the last few days. Just now I looked at their website and it appears the parent company, CMA Audio, offers a large range of professional audio products.
I first heard about M2Tech back in 2010 - they were early innovators of good quality USB interfaces.

It appears that both companies are quite reputable. If volume control is a feature you want, that will probably determine the choice.

ing.daniele

I had never heard of Lake People until the last few days. Just now I looked at their website and it appears the parent company, CMA Audio, offers a large range of professional audio products.
I first heard about M2Tech back in 2010 - they were early innovators of good quality USB interfaces.

It appears that both companies are quite reputable. If volume control is a feature you want, that will probably determine the choice.
Optional in lake people Dat are:
- remote control with motorized potentiometer
- femto clock

If you like to receive more information between product, i can send you the text of the email

linuxfan

Please, I don't want the responsibility of recommending a final purchase! I will just make a couple of observations;
- The Lake looks like a scientific instrument - that's not necessarily a bad thing, but I prefer the look of the M2Tech.
- I'm doubtful about the value of the femto clock of the Lake, except in circumstances where you are feeding a digital device which is sensitive to jitter. The DSP in your Genelecs will re-process and re-clock the incoming digital signal, anyway.
- Feature-wise, the M2Tech is decicated USB input, to AES3/coaxial/toslink output.
But the Lake is USB/AES3/coaxial/toslink input, to AES3/coaxial/toslink output. These additional input options might be useful to you? For CD input?

ing.daniele

Please, I don't want the responsibility of recommending a final purchase! I will just make a couple of observations;
- The Lake looks like a scientific instrument - that's not necessarily a bad thing, but I prefer the look of the M2Tech.
- I'm doubtful about the value of the femto clock of the Lake, except in circumstances where you are feeding a digital device which is sensitive to jitter. The DSP in your Genelecs will re-process and re-clock the incoming digital signal, anyway.
- Feature-wise, the M2Tech is decicated USB input, to AES3/coaxial/toslink output.
But the Lake is USB/AES3/coaxial/toslink input, to AES3/coaxial/toslink output. These additional input options might be useful to you? For CD input?
The problem is not the output but the volume control.

How I can control the SPL of the Genelec without knob or remote control ?
From the mac?
I think a cheap solution ;) ;)

I thank you for the advice
Now the choice is up to me

Top Bottom