• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 DAC vs Apogee Symphony Desktop to pair with Genelec 8330A+GLM

10bong

Hi

I'm a total newb and also Korean and I'm not used to this thread stuff, so sorry beforehand if I've made any mistakes

I've nearly made up my mind on buying Genelec 8330A+GLM kit as my monitoring system and trying to find a suitable substitude for my audio interface M-Track 2X2.

My main objective is mixing in the box and I don't plan to record(even if I need to it'll be for tests so I'll use M-Track 2X2) so the quality of DAC is my utmost priority.
I've done some limited research and heard that RME and Apogee make some decent DAC and I've narrowed down to these DAC/ interfaces

1. RME ADI-2 DAC version1 ( I don't think there will be much audible sonical differences compared to version2)
2. Apogee Symphony Desktop
3. Apogee Duet 3
4. Dangerous Source

Since my main focus is on mixing I want as neutral, natural and wide,deep image as possible in that price range
What would be your recommendation?

While writing this I heard a comparison of RME ADI-2 DAC and Dangerous Source and the latter seems to have more firm bass and wider image but lacks a little on the high...but more suitable for mixing. Have any of you had the same experience as me?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Note that the 8330 is a digital monitor so you will be connecting to it via spdif/aes. The DAC quality of your interface will be irrelevant.
This +1. Get a good AES-EBU digital output audio interface to feed your Genelecs and you are good. Can be either RME or Apogee etc.

OP

10bong

Note that the 8330 is a digital monitor so you will be connecting to it via spdif/aes. The DAC quality of your interface will be irrelevant.
https://www.genelec.com/8330a#section-technical-specifications states

Connections​

1 x XLR Analog Input

1 x XLR AES/EBU Input

1 x XLR AES/EBU Output

2 x RJ45 Control

are supported...so doesn't that mean I can sue analog XLR cables?

This +1. Get a good AES-EBU digital output audio interface to feed your Genelecs and you are good. Can be either RME or Apogee etc.
Same as above...It does say 1 x XLR Analog Input

and are there any pros and cons for analog and digital input?

zhora

You can of course, however your signal path will be going through an extra ADC -> DAC conversion which then kind of defeats the point of having a really nice DAC as your computer output.

Trell

Major Contributor
https://www.genelec.com/8330a#section-technical-specifications states

Connections​

1 x XLR Analog Input

1 x XLR AES/EBU Input

1 x XLR AES/EBU Output

2 x RJ45 Control

are supported...so doesn't that mean I can sue analog XLR cables?

Same as above...It does say 1 x XLR Analog Input

and are there any pros and cons for analog and digital input?

I’ve the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and use analog out to my 8330 monitors and 7360 subwoofer. Works just fine.

Note that the RME ADI-2 DAC does not have digital out, except loopback over USB. For digital out, AES/EBU, you need the RME ADI-2 Pro.

My wife has another pair of 8330 also using analog with another audio interface. Still works fine.

Trell

Major Contributor

There is analogue input as well, and is what I’m using.

OP

10bong

You can of course, however your signal path will be going through an extra ADC -> DAC conversion which then kind of defeats the point of having a really nice DAC as your computer output.
I see your point but isn't it worth getting a better quality analog signal to the speakers ADC? Wouldn't the quality of the analog signal fed into the speakers AD/DA converter affect the overall result?
I’ve the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and use analog out to my 8330 monitors and 7360 subwoofer. Works just fine.

Note that the RME ADI-2 DAC does not have digital out, except loopback over USB. For digital out, AES/EBU, you need the RME ADI-2 Pro.

My wife has another pair of 8330 also using analog with another audio interface. Still works fine.
Thanks for the reply! How does it sound? I know it won't be fair since i won't be getting sub-woofers for some time but I'm just curious about your experience and maybe some comarison as well if it's not too much of a trouble

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you're considering adding subwoofers in the future, you may want to consider the miniDSP SHD as that unit has all the necessary Inputs/Outputs you'll require. Also has crossover/PEQ/DSP amongst other things.
You could of course use an RME Pro as a pre-amp but I wouldn't have a clue how to connect all that together!

Trell

Major Contributor
I see your point but isn't it worth getting a better quality analog signal to the speakers ADC? Wouldn't the quality of the analog signal fed into the speakers AD/DA converter affect the overall result?

Thanks for the reply! How does it sound? I know it won't be fair since i won't be getting sub-woofers for some time but I'm just curious about your experience and maybe some comarison as well if it's not too much of a trouble

The 8330 sounds great both with and without Genelec subwoofer. I bought the 8330 over the 8030C because of GLM for its room EQ.

Trell

Major Contributor
If you're considering adding subwoofers in the future, you may want to consider the miniDSP SHD as that unit has all the necessary Inputs/Outputs you'll require. Also has crossover/PEQ/DSP amongst other things.
You could of course use an RME Pro as a pre-amp but I wouldn't have a clue how to connect all that together!

He can just buy a Genelec subwoofer since he already is buying GLM, thus no need to buy a miniDSP SHD.

A GLM compatible subwoofer from Genelec has all the needed input/output.

OP

10bong

Thank you for the reply. Since I'm getting a GLM kit I think I can skip miniDSP SHD :)

The 8330 sounds great both with and without Genelec subwoofer. I bought the 8330 over the 8030C because of GLM for its room EQ.
Me too. Since I cannot do any room acoustics in my room at the moment GLM is a must. I was suprised at the difference it made when i tested it!

OP

10bong

He can just buy a Genelec subwoofer since he already is buying GLM, thus no need to buy a miniDSP SHD.

Exactly

Yuhasz01

I use RME Adi-2DAC with Genelec 8340a speakers via balanced XLR cables. Calibrated speakers for my small room with GLM/SAM software.(settings stored in speakers). Use RME for preamp volume control. All works fine and provides transparent and tonally balanced sound IF source material has good high fidelity.
Also RME is excellent for headphone use and it has PEQ.

Both DACs are high quality, as any well designed modern DAC these days. Choose according to features you need.

(RME Forum is excellent source for information and technical questions for their products)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also use RME ADI-2 DAC into my Neumann DH 80 DSP, so I am also doing DAC into ADC, but I really like the ADI-2 DAC and all its features, plus the ADC side of the monitors are really good as well, so low losses in this conversion. Plus my monitors don't have the option of digital input.

But in the OP case, since he works with this, a more expensive and feature rich audio interface with digital AES-EBU XLR outs may be the better choice to maximize performance.

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Maybe so but I use a minidsp SHD to apply PEQ/DSP and delay to my subs (non Genelec) and I find it to be a very handy tool.
I also use the GLM kit for my 8341's.....

Not everybody likes the style or large price of the Genelec subs.
My wife would go mental if I bought 2 of those ugly things into the lounge!

OP

10bong

I use RME Adi-2DAC with Genelec 8340a speakers via balanced XLR cables. Calibrated speakers for my small room with GLM/SAM software.(settings stored in speakers). Use RME for preamp volume control. All works fine and provides transparent and tonally balanced sound IF source material has good high fidelity.
Also RME is excellent for headphone use and it has PEQ.

Both DACs are high quality, as any well designed modern DAC these days. Choose according to features you need.

(RME Forum is excellent source for information and technical questions for their products)
Thanks, I'm planning to buy Sennheiser HD600 so a good HP amp is needed
I also use RME ADI-2 DAC into my Neumann DH 80 DSP, so I am also doing DAC into ADC, but I really like the ADI-2 DAC and all its features, plus the ADC side of the monitors are really good as well, so low losses in this conversion. Plus my monitors don't have the option of digital input.

But in the OP case, since he works with this, a more expensive and feature rich audio interface with digital AES-EBU XLR outs may be the better choice to maximize performance.
Thank you

kongwee

Major Contributor
RME due to good software support. Traditionally low latency, all these stuffs you can review at gearspace forum. You should use fireface series for work.

Last edited:

temps

RME due to good software support. Traditionally low latency, all these stuffs you can review at gearspace forum. You should use fireface series for work.
This is correct, there is absolutely no need to spend all that money on an ADI2 DAC to end up with fewer features. Use the DAC in the speakers, there is no reason whatsoever to duplicate that functionality.

One of the internal cards, even the old RME AIO, is perfect for this. Same with Fireface UC. Babyface would do monitor control but you'd need to convert SPDIF optical to AES which isn't exactly cheap. Then you have Totalmix routing, can do a separate headphone mix with correction on it, integrate a different, cheaper non Genelec subwoofer, etc. All things you won't be able to do with the ADI2.

They also have the HDSP AES which would connect to the Genelecs then you can add Schiit Modius as you need extra pairs of outputs for phones, etc.

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
This is correct, there is absolutely no need to spend all that money on an ADI2 DAC to end up with fewer features. Use the DAC in the speakers, there is no reason whatsoever to duplicate that functionality.

One of the internal cards, even the old RME AIO, is perfect for this. Same with Fireface UC. Babyface would do monitor control but you'd need to convert SPDIF optical to AES which isn't exactly cheap. Then you have Totalmix routing, can do a separate headphone mix with correction on it, integrate a different, cheaper non Genelec subwoofer, etc. All things you won't be able to do with the ADI2.

They also have the HDSP AES which would connect to the Genelecs then you can add Schiit Modius as you need extra pairs of outputs for phones, etc.
Fireface series just need D-sub to AES XLR break out cable. If it is not come with it, just need to make the break out cable. Of course, you can use other series. For Fireface series, people has been intensively test for DAW and fairly responsible driver update.

Top Bottom