• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 DAC PCB version differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSJR

Major Contributor
What on earth is the issue here. One neat wire (can't be glued down as it looks as though a board anchoring screw is underneath it) properly soldered to two points and dressed in a neat curve?

For goodness sake, this is and was commonplace in audio electronics for years and believe me, several popular amp makes for example were quite reliable with hideous on-board wiring looms and added on patches with components leap-frogging others as part of some updates... Other slightly neater arrangements use wire links to bridge some circuit tracks yet nobody complains there.

Sorry if I misunderstand here, but I think some of us need to know more about production volumes, costs and logistics (I've only just learned a few things and the costs are frightening, even if the board itself and components aren't too expensive). I'd love to own such a dac, wire link and all!!!

Last edited:

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If every audio device with a jumper like this had to be replaced, I'd venture that probably the majority of HT pre/pros and receivers would have to go back. As long as it was QAed and tested and measures well, it wouldn't bother me personally.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would second the wish for a little bit more transparency by RME, also considering that they (@MC_RME) have seen the thread early on. Would be nice to know, what might be impacted if the soldering was executed improperly, what the QC procedure is to evaluate the soldering and so on.
Thomas

I'm really missing the plot here. So you found a wire where you think there should be a PCB trace. Have you seen the schematic? Do you know what this wire is doing? Are you sure the wire is causing any issues? Is the performance impacted because of this wire? Where is it in their documentation or marketing that RME spells out that wires will not be used inside their equipment?

As far as I know, they provide the product and warrantee it to perform up to a certain specification. If you're worried that the product is not up to spec, measure it yourself or send it to Amir to measure with an AP. Let's see if there's a real performance degradation as opposed to an imagined one.

OP
G

grgppsc

A great complete and expensive premium product also implies design, even good PCB layout design and execution, NOT FUNCTIONALITY ONLY! I've never suspected bad measurements or malfunction due to that patch wire, other than not being designed for that place. It would probably become unstable without it! It's the idea of selling a prototype or a beta version for the full price that bothers me...

I have 20+ years of experience with audio electronic equipment and I always avoided patchworks with success, at least in my personal setups. I may be called obsessed with how their interior looks but it's my right to be so...

With this ADI DAC series, RME also targeted Hi-Fi enthusiasts with a passion for good sound and well built gear. What's wrong in being happy with a nice object that only takes money out of your pocket and not the other way around?

To ironically conclude, why the heck RME posted that inside picture if they don't also brag about the interior?? :p

Last edited:
OP
G

grgppsc

Let me give you an even better and relevant example: what if the Pro Anniversary Edition with the interesting window and lights (resembling some British competition :p) would have the nasty wire on board? :D Glued down would look even uglier...

Well, I guess it wouldn't mind some of you either, especially those who would never pay this cash for just a DAC/ADC whatever. For me, it has the value of a refurbished unit...

Attachments

• f62b234d4e35356be301b986b3729b88.jpg
    f62b234d4e35356be301b986b3729b88.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 260

dazzerfong

This is a non-issue, only people unfamiliar with PCB manufacturing will be alarmed. The reason why you don't see them very often in large-volume use is because you must hand solder straps, thus decreasing output and/or increasing costs. It's not really a quality thing (and in some cases, if you're trying to optimise for length, a strap might actually be better if it beelines to the connections).

If the wiring just showed up out of nowhere, then I'd be a little surprised because that may mean it's a refurbished board. However, if RME themselves posted a picture with the strap, I'm a lot more comfortable with that as it means it's intended.

Let me give you an even better and relevant example: what if the Pro Anniversary Edition with the interesting window and lights (resembling some British competition ) would have the nasty wire on board? Glued down would look even uglier...

Well, I guess it wouldn't mind some of you either, especially those who would never pay this cash for just a DAC/ADC whatever. For me, it has the value of a refurbished unit...
Well until the Pro Anniversary Edition has the strap, it's a non-issue. The Pro Anniversary Edition was sold on the premise of its transparent window, the regular ones aren't.

Last edited:
OP
G

grgppsc

This is a non-issue, only people unfamiliar with PCB manufacturing will be alarmed.
I would let costumers that actually pay for the thing to say if it's an issue or not!

Personally, I am not alarmed. Disgusted or feeling tricked? Maybe...

It looks very unprofessional for a professional company to do it this way.

jamca

Sometimes customers don't have the knowledge to judge what is wrong or right...Only time will show... However i feel kinda tricked, but i have to admit that i feel tricked for something i ''suppose'' it would be an issue, just based on pictures, and without any electronics knowledge. Lets hope that no problems will occur because of that ''wire'' decision.

dazzerfong

I would let costumers that actually pay for the thing to say if it's an issue or not!

Personally, I am not alarmed. Disgusted or feeling tricked? Maybe...

It looks very unprofessional for a professional company to do it this way.
For what it's worth, I have the ESS version, and for what it's worth I can't see the strap. Looked through the Kensington lock and the ventilation ports with a torch. Mine is bought very recently, only two weeks ago. Now I'm tempted to break it open to see what it actually looks like - pesky warranty sticky might be tricky to work around though....

OP
G

grgppsc

Sometimes customers don't have the knowledge to judge what is wrong or right...Only time will show... However i feel kinda tricked, but i have to admit that i feel tricked for something i ''suppose'' it would be an issue, just based on pictures, and without any electronics knowledge. Lets hope that no problems will occur because of that ''wire'' decision.
Yea... I wouldn't put myself in your shoes. No one should have this kind of surprise at this level of investment. I almost bought an ESS edition without knowing it but a friend told me about the AKM fire incident and I did some research. It's obvious that RME had to adapt for the new chip and that wasn't so easy...

Costumers usually have enough knowledge of what they like or not and it should suffice. An electronic & sound engineering diploma would possibly lead us in making our own DACs and not buying RME's for example.

This is anything but my intention to harm anyone! Owning one of their products stands for that. Take this as my "revision" to superficial fixes like this one.

Hope for the best in future releases...

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
I have the ESS version, and for what it's worth I can't see the strap. Looked through the Kensington lock and the ventilation ports with a torch.

I looked in mine too, through the Kensington lock, and it's all blurred in mine. I did take my glasses off though.

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
The MTBF of that wire strap will be an order of magnitude higher than the MTBF of other parts (potentiometers / rotary encoders, relays, electrolytic capacitors). This is a superbly engineered device - in both functionality and performance. Why on earth would anyone get so concerned about the wire strap?

dazzerfong

The MTBF of that wire strap will be an order of magnitude higher than the MTBF of other parts (potentiometers / rotary encoders, relays, electrolytic capacitors). This is a superbly engineered device - in both functionality and performance. Why on earth would anyone get so concerned about the wire strap?
On one hand, I kinda get it - almost every PCB you see wouldn't have any straps.

Though the real reason is a bit more nuanced than what other members here may suspect.

However, if this is a component which would experience a lot of vibrations, I wouldn't settle for a cut-and-strap unless it's also been reinforced with ties and a dollop of hot glue. However, I hardly think the ADI-2 is going to a warzone.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom