• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 DAC or the Gustard X-20 Pro

linnlingo

I know very little about DAC's so I'm looking for some direction as an analog guy. My local dealer carries the RME and the demo sounds terrific. However on line at another forum someone mentioned the Gustard X-20 as a superior DAC for less money. Anyone w/experience w/both these DAC's? I read the review of the RME and it was impressive but I couldn't find the Gustard X-20. Is the Gustard also made in Germany too?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Gustard is a Chinese DAC if I'm not mistaken.

I also considered it at one point, but in the end I couldn't find any measurements of it and I don't trust subjective reviews.

So I don't know how the Gustard performs. The Adi-2 performs about as well as any DAC, almost without a doubt it's transparent. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, especially given all the additional features.

OP
L

linnlingo

The Gustard is a Chinese DAC if I'm not mistaken.

I also considered it at one point, but in the end I couldn't find any measurements of it and I don't trust subjective reviews.

So I don't know how the Gustard performs. The Adi-2 performs about as well as any DAC, almost without a doubt it's transparent. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, especially given all the additional features.
Thanks for the info. I went to my dealer and borrowed the RME to put in my stereo. It's transparent clear and detailed. The detail from the snare drums really stood out. Lot's to learn about this DAC. I'm returning the demo today and picking up a new one. It's his last one. He keeps selling out of this DAC.

OP
L

linnlingo

Apparently I was told the RME doesn't pass MQA. But when I play the Tidal MQA masters w/this DAC it sounds better than when I was passing through the MQA w/out this DAC. How would you compare this DAC w/a MQA compliant out board DAC.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apparently I was told the RME doesn't pass MQA. But when I play the Tidal MQA masters w/this DAC it sounds better than when I was passing through the MQA w/out this DAC. How would you compare this DAC w/a MQA compliant out board DAC.

It depends 100% on which MQA-compliant DAC. Which were you comparing it to?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry I misread the sentence. New glasses are needed. But the Mytek Brooklyn is MQA compliant. How does it stand up to the RME w/out MQA SQ wise.

IIRC the Brooklyn measured pretty well, but not as well as the RME (although I doubt any differences are audible). In other words, for PCM playback the RME is technically better, but most likely there is no audible difference between them.

I don't know enough about MQA to know how much the much the quality is compromised when the second unfolding (as done by MQA-compliant DACs) doesn't take place because the DAC is not MQA compliant.

I'm with @sonci though: MQA is technically inferior to PCM, so there's no reason to use it (other than convenience, or because you prefer a particular recording/remaster that is only available in MQA format).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry I misread the sentence. New glasses are needed. But the Mytek Brooklyn is MQA compliant. How does it stand up to the RME w/out MQA SQ wise.

This post from a knowledgeable member on the MQA thread may be of interest to you. It appears that the main difference between playing MQA on an MQA-equipped DAC vs any other DAC is that, in the former case, the file is upsampled from 88.2 or 96 to (I presume) 176.4 or 192, and then has shaped dither applied to it.

OP
L

linnlingo

This post from a knowledgeable member on the MQA thread may be of interest to you. It appears that the main difference between playing MQA on an MQA-equipped DAC vs any other DAC is that, in the former case, the file is upsampled from 88.2 or 96 to (I presume) 176.4 or 192, and then has shaped dither applied to it.
Excellent article thanks for the info. So should I assume that a well built DAC even MQA non compliant will give me equal or better SQ than MQA??

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

I have the RME.

You're right, it's not an MQA.

But I listen to 'half unfolded' MQA through Roon and it sounds fine.

I'm not sold on the need for compatibility with lossy MQA.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent article thanks for the info. So should I assume that a well built DAC even MQA non compliant will give me equal or better SQ than MQA??

MQA is lossy, so it can't give you better fidelity than high-res. However, it compresses only information that is above the highest frequencies you can hear and (arguably) also lower in level than the quietest sounds you can hear.

CD quality sound is a bit different in that it just doesn't contain frequencies higher than you can hear and (arguably) sounds lower in level than you can hear.

Therefore, IMHO, as long as files come from the same original master, there will be no audible difference between CD, MQA, and high-res.

CD is already (just) beyond the limits of human hearing, high-res includes additional content that is further beyond the limits of hearing, and MQA also contains that high-res content but compresses it meaning it is present but lossy. In any event, this content was never audible in the first place.

However, MQA does claim to do their own remasters on a lot of MQA releases. If that's the case, these may sound different from CD/high-res, but that's not because the format itself is any better or worse.

So I'd buy your DAC based on factors other than MQA-compatibility.

treuben

The RME is a pro grade ADC/DAC.

Almost nobody in pro audio engineering cares about MQA compatibility.

Draw your own conclusions....

Note:- there is no ADC with the ADI-2-DAC - the ADI-2-PRO has ADC. Just for anyone that might be reading and thinking (like me) of buying one. 8)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Note:- there is no ADC with the ADI-2-DAC - the ADI-2-PRO has ADC. Just for anyone that might be reading and thinking (like me) of buying one. 8)

In the context of MQA recording engineering, it's the Pro that matters, as, well, that's what pros would use....

Top Bottom