• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[RME ADI-2 DAC FS] vs [Behringer DEQ2496 + pure stereo DAC]?

skyfly

Which one would be better?

RME ADI-2 DAC or the combination of a digital EQ such as Behringer DEQ2496 and an ordinary 'pure' stereo hi-fi DAC?

The person who asked me this does not want to use parametric EQ software on computer, because it would be inconvenient to turn on the computer every time someone in the family watches TV. A small computer(an about 10 - 11 inch LG tablet/laptop - I guess that model is not in production now. -) via USB cable and a TV via optical cable are the PCM audio sound source. He does not have, and does not plan to buy DSD files. His current DAC is an Arcam which is a 'pure' stereo hi-fi DAC (no parametric EQ).

jhenderson0107

RME ADI-2 DAC or the combination of a digital EQ such as Behringer DEQ2496 and an ordinary 'pure' stereo hi-fi DAC?

The person who asked me this does not want to use parametric EQ software on computer, because it would be inconvenient to turn on the computer every time someone in the family watches TV. A small computer(an about 10 - 11 inch LG tablet/laptop - I guess that model is not in production now. -) via USB cable and a TV via optical cable are the PCM audio sound source. He does not have, and does not plan to buy DSD files. His current DAC is an Arcam which is a 'pure' stereo hi-fi DAC (no parametric EQ).
I have and use both of these devices. Both are 1U, but the RME is 1/2 rack width vs full width for the DEQ. The (~$1000 USD) RME is a more modern device and provides objectively superior DAC quality plus very useful loudness compensation plus a front panel volume control (if needed). The (~200 USD) DEQ has separate PEQ, GEQ, stereo width and compressor features and is very easy to use, but provides no volume control. Both have excellent subjective sound quality. If the primary intent is set-n-forget equalization, get the DEQ. If the intent is an excellent preamp with volume control and some equalization, get the RME.

Trell

Major Contributor

The RME ADI-2 DAC FS has a very powerful head phone amp, which adds to the cost if not needed. I use the ADI-2 DAC for desktop use and on-board DSP (PEQ, dynamic loudness) is a big plus for me, similar for Genelec SAM monitors/subwoofers.

OP
S

skyfly

Thanks all.

He also noticed that Behringer DEQ2496 does not have a USB input. The RME ADI-2 DAC FS seems to have all the things he needs plus extra(e.g. headphone amp) in one chassis.

jhenderson0107

It is not true. There is a volume control!!
Press Utility -> Gain Offset
Thanks - I stand corrected. I never tried that feature since a Roland M-1000 precedes the DCX in my system, providing a knob to control volume digitally.

Top Bottom