• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 DAC FS + Topping A90 OR ADI-2 PRO FS R BE?

MrEWhite

I'm looking at reducing the footprint on my desk used up by audio hardware by getting a ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. But, I wanted to know if I'd be getting significantly less output power by using the two front ports for a balanced headphone out instead of using a ADI-2 DAC FS & a Topping A90 with it's balanced output?

DonDish

This is from ADI-2 PRO manual: Balanced Phones Mode

Output level is doubled. With the ADI-2 Pro +22 dBu would rise to +28 dBu (a gain of +6 dB). Now only few might have a headphone that requires that level, a scary 19.5 Volts in output voltage. But when the phone is driven at the same volume and effective level as before, the driver stages now operate at a 6 dB lower level. This can have a positive effect on THD and linearity.  Output power is quadrupled. A driver stage that was designed for 1 Watt will deliver 4 Watt when a second such stage is used with inverted input signal. That is a significant rise, which would allow to either achieve output powers that even bassheads would fear, or allows for the use of less powerful or simpler output stages than usual.  Complete ground-free operation will prevent EMI and floating voltage level problems in certain (seldom) cases.

Top Bottom