• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 DAC FS Sound reproduction improvement possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferdybossy

Some are disappointed with the sound reproduction of this little giant.
Because this must be the reason it's being sold again.
The figures mentioned by the manufacturer are not greatly exaggerated. But have to admit when I first listened to the sound quality of this little wonder, I didn't like it very much.
The visitors of this site (like me) are often audiophiles, so always looking for ways to improve the playback quality.
On Alpha-Audio I had read something about linear or switched power supply, so I immediately ordered the sBooster 15Volt with my DAC
The sBooster, is seen by many as madness, because what on earth can you do with electricity.
To be honest, I thought the exact same thing. Now without the sBooster, the RME ADI-2 DAC FS sounded pretty good when the LD button on the remote was pressed.
A few days later the power supply came and plugged it in. The LD (Loudness) had to be turned off immediately. Because, instead of a shrill sound. Changes the sound reproduction quality, it seemed as if a tube amplifier suddenly made the playback possible, of course without distortion. I don't earn anything from the advertising that is now being made by me, but not everyone, don't has to look at the amount of money, so if you wanna have a audiophile sound reproduction and it has to be as cheap as possible, then this set is a good start.

OP
F

ferdybossy

If, like me, you are not terribly rich, but you still want a fantastic sound reproduction. Then active subwoofers are a good start. There is a lot of choice. I have the KRK 12s. Used the Quad 34 preamp at first, but the RME ADI-2 DAC FS doesn't need a preamp, the sound doesn't get any better with (34) a preamp.
The RME ADI-2 DAC FS connects to the two KRK12s The KEF R3 via (for me) the Quad 606 amplifier, but that can of course also be a class D amplifier, gets the signal from the DAC through the filter(s) of the subwoofer(s).
The PRO version of RME is great, but it has features you don't need at home.

Yuhasz01

Some are disappointed with the sound reproduction of this little giant.
Because this must be the reason it's being sold again.
The figures mentioned by the manufacturer are not greatly exaggerated. But have to admit when I first listened to the sound quality of this little wonder, I didn't like it very much.
The visitors of this site (like me) are often audiophiles, so always looking for ways to improve the playback quality.
On Alpha-Audio I had read something about linear or switched power supply, so I immediately ordered the sBooster 15Volt with my DAC
The sBooster, is seen by many as madness, because what on earth can you do with electricity.
To be honest, I thought the exact same thing. Now without the sBooster, the RME ADI-2 DAC FS sounded pretty good when the LD button on the remote was pressed.
A few days later the power supply came and plugged it in. The LD (Loudness) had to be turned off immediately. Because, instead of a shrill sound. Changes the sound reproduction quality, it seemed as if a tube amplifier suddenly made the playback possible, of course without distortion. I don't earn anything from the advertising that is now being made by me, but not everyone, don't has to look at the amount of money, so if you wanna have a audiophile sound reproduction and it has to be as cheap as possible, then this set is a good start.
RME DAC produces high fidelity sound(no distortion, transparent, tonally balanced). If recordings are not good it will give you that sound. Good recordings sound great on it. True to the source. This is not an audiophile device.

OP
F

ferdybossy

RME DAC produces high fidelity sound(no distortion, transparent, tonally balanced). If recordings are not good it will give you that sound. Good recordings sound great on it. True to the source. This is not an audiophile device.
You didn't read all, or expressed myself the wrong way round. My RME stays put, I didn't say it's bad. But it performs much better with a linear power supply.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You didn't read all, or expressed myself the wrong way round. My RME stays put, I didn't say it's bad. But it performs much better with a linear power supply.
Maybe have a look around before posting. There’s lots of good information that would help you direct your search for better sound more productively.

In this particular case, start here:
Post in thread 'Linear power supply for DAC, switch/router improve SQ?'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...c-switch-router-improve-sq.30397/post-1067954

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Do you think RME wouldn't provide an appropriate power supply?

What you suggest is highly unlikely.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

You say you added a linear power supply, and this has more influence than the Loudness button?

Then the ADI would be a very strange device.

Yuhasz01

Maybe have a look around before posting. There’s lots of good information that would help you direct your search for better sound more productively.

In this particular case, start here:
Post in thread 'Linear power supply for DAC, switch/router improve SQ?'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...c-switch-router-improve-sq.30397/post-1067954
RME device power supply difference, maybe you hear something subjectively in your system and room. If you check RME forum on this issue from a technical engineering design view it is false. Their smps is very well designed.

For what is worth, I tried two different linear power supplies on my RME DAC. I could not identify what was being used—smps or linear- in a blind test with some friends.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
tenor.gif

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Ask your wife to slap your face every time your mention ‘linear power supply’ that will cure you.
Keith

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Please tell us why you chose the sBooster 15 volt.

Katji

Major Contributor
Nice cat. How does he/she sound? Loud? ... ;) ...The Point /colouring, I don't know - looks like "Ginger Tabby Point."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom