• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 DAC FS - AKM Versus ESS Measurements (DAC, Preamp & Headamp)

Holmz

Major Contributor
It's missing the main ADI 2 DAC selling incentive against the competition tough, which is the PEQ.

100% agree.

But I got an RME solely as a ADC, with the intention of plumbing into the Octo DAC8.

5omeone

Hi @VintageFlanker , amazing job! Thanks a lot! :)
I did not conduct a DBT, so impossible to know. Did not catch any audible difference with headphones either. A significant audible variation would have been seen in my data, anyway.
May I ask you what you mean by DBT? And I think RME did the best they could with clever hardware circuits to make sure there is no audible difference between the ESS and AKM versions.
It's anyway exciting to see how myself slightly get caught up in the "the AKM version is potentially better" wave despite the clear data. ;) This is audiophile.:facepalm:

sq225917

Major Contributor
Great review, just shows with good engineering digital is a done deal, dacs can be input agnostic and choice of dac chip is all but irrelevant within specific class.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read that you made measurements with signals at 15 dBu at the DACs outputs, but I do not think that answers the issue about the absolute noise level measurements, which are made without signals. What is the 0 dB reference of the scale of the RMAA software apparently used to make the noise measurements ? The terme "RMS power" used to tabulate the results under the spectrographs is confusing. Are the measurements made in a power unit (for instance dBm) or a voltage unit (dBu, dBV, or others) or something else, as a purely digital measurement (dBFS) ? Is there a detailled RMAA spec sheet or user manual that adresses those issues ?
Not sure what you mean:
RMAA run loopback, automated tests based on a reference input. In that specific case, it starts from ≈4.3Vrms (15dBu) at 1kHz, then it launches tests based on that reference, which is digitally adjusted as 0dBFS. So, the Noise Floor is no tone, captured and calculated with that 0dBFS reference.

As pointed out many times tho, its calculation of A-weighting is incorrect. It gives however an apples to apples comparaison with my others reviews using the exact same process and settings. Perhaps next reviews will come with REW instead, with the Cosmos APU 60dB compensation for AES DR, or raw Noise Floor seen directly by the Cosmos ADC.

I guess you mean 4.5V ?
Indeed.

That smells of issues with common-mode rejection, or even a plain ground loop
Thanks.:)
It is not in that case, unfortunately. I'm already familiar with the Cosmos acting crazy with single ended signals. For this reason, I launch every measurements with a battery powered laptop. For RCA/TRS measurements, all tests are running through toslink if available (and assuming it performs on par with other inputs to begin with). My guess is the no-load situation for this output (headphones), that as been measured to be less than 1Ω, so probably too low for the Cosmos.

There is already an Octo DAC8
Barely available and definitely lacks the RME features and support.

May I ask you what you mean by DBT?
Double blind test.;)

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
what is this stuff? i need it!
adi2fs is too much "complex" for me

The two tested devices are the ADI-2 DAC FS. The ADI-2 FS is a different product with no USB and DSP like the DAC/Pro models, and should be quite simple to operate, relatively speaking ;)

GianDi

The two tested devices are the ADI-2 DAC FS. The ADI-2 FS is a different product with no USB and DSP like the DAC/Pro models, and should be quite simple to operate, relatively speaking ;)

relativity is a difficult concept ;)
speaking about all-in-one lifestyle units, what's the stuff can compete with ADI's quality leves dacs?

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what is this stuff? i need it!
adi2fs is too much "complex" for me
This one:
IMG_3897-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet.jpg

(Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 - a streamer with Roon Ready only)

Could also been this if released earlier:
MatrixAudioElementi2MusicStreamer-6_1920x~2.jpg

(Matrix Element i2 - standalone streamer)

Trell

Major Contributor
relativity is a difficult concept ;)
speaking about all-in-one lifestyle units, what's the stuff can compete with ADI's quality leves dacs?

I’m just pulling your leg. :p

The RME ADI-2 DAC has a learning curve due to the very many features it has, and the limited UX possible with three dials/button combos, four buttons, and a small screen. The remote help with some operations like loudness on/off, channel balance, eq on/off, input selection if auto not to liking etc. The remote is configurable so that often used operations, say change EQ preset or cross feed, can be easily accessed. Do note that the remote is not needed for the operation of the DAC, it’s only a convenience, but a very useful one for many. My usage is desktop only, though, so features like different colors for EQ preset can be useful from a distance when using the remote.

For basic operations of the DAC it works out of the box in that you can connect it and it plays, just like any other plain DAC/amp combo. After setup (like PEQ for headphones, loudness level) I rarely enter the menus for day-to-day operations.

Last edited:

GianDi

@VintageFlanker thanks. it's a GREAT looking device. easier than daphile, dac, LMS chain.
@Trell day-to-day operations 4a forgetful and deaf audiophile may be very difficult :facepalm:

Holmz

Major Contributor

Barely available and definitely lacks the RME features and support.

I would rather RME focus on what they are good at, and not branch out like Topping where we get dogs along with the greyhounds.

“Barely available” includes one in my study.

Music1969

Major Contributor
If RME Fireface UCX featured infra red remote control for volume, I would have no need for an Okto

But it doesn't :-(

I sit 15 ft from speakers and remote is essential going direct into poweramps

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If RME Fireface UCX featured infra red remote control for volume, I would have no need for an Okto

But it doesn't :-(

I sit 15 ft from speakers and remote is essential going direct into poweramps
Why not a RME ARC and a USB wireless repeater ?

Or to build an IR Remote for Midi ?
That shouldn't be rocket science.
(With an Arduino ?)

Last edited:

LNeilB

I would rather RME focus on what they are good at, and not branch out like Topping where we get dogs along with the greyhounds.

“Barely available” includes one in my study.
As an owner of both dogs and greyhounds I have to love this comparison. They are definitely a breed apart.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Why not a RME ARC and a USB wireless repeater ?
Does it actually work?

What model repeater?

Seems very clunky - how do you power the ARC from a lounge sofa / couch 15 feet back, without cables coming out the wazoo

IR remote is the solution we need (like Okto with Apple Remote)

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note: @MC_RME had remarks about these plots. They do not match his results at all (same setting, High Power, -7dBr). It should reach 109dB SINAD with a proper rig, and under 32, 300, or 600 Ohms loads. One of the issues in my data is obviously the lack of load board, IMHO, and the still-not-optimal use of the Cosmos when single ended is in question. Anyway, these are only intended to catch "differences" between the two DUTs, certainly not to evaluate pure performance of the (amazing) ADI-2 DAC headamp.

About your little divergence with @MC_RME :

I don't know for the RME ADI-2 DAC fs, but the RME ADI-2 Pro fs R performs up to the spec for THD+N at 32 ohm:
(Measured with RME ADI-2 Pro fs R 24dBu Mono mode as ADC, E1DA load board, software is Virtins Multi Instrument 3.9.6.1)

Specs says THD+N at 18dBu = -107dB, and I measured almost -110dB
6.0616 Vrms (17.9dBu) at 32.2 Ohm = 1.14W (Unbalanced)

2022-07-08 18_40_03-RME ADI-2 Pro fs R Phone 3-4 32.2 ohm -4dB.png

I can push to -3.2dBFS in High Power mode with 32.2 ohm load before saturation.
That's a clean 1.37W. (Spec says 1.5W)

2022-07-08 18_40_03-RME ADI-2 Pro fs R Phone 3-4 32.2 ohm -3.2dB.png

At -7dB, I get the 109dB SINAD @MC_RME is claiming:

2022-07-08 17_25_19-Greenshot.png

At 300.3 Ohm, I can push it to max in Hi Power mode, for a voltage that reaches almost the promised 10V (22dBu) and 0.312W:

2022-07-08 18_40_03-RME ADI-2 Pro fs R Phone 3-4 300.3 ohm 0dB.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom