• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 DAC FS - AKM Versus ESS Measurements (DAC, Preamp & Headamp)

Xibal

I needed a more "lifestyle", all-in-one unit, that could also act as a streamer.

Flanker rating: Draw Game
Sorry for being this late, and thank you very, very much for this so accurate review, but now curiosity is killing me, what all-in-one unit did you choose to replace such a competent DAC/Headphone amp?:D

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for being this late, and thank you very, very much for this so accurate review, but now curiosity is killing me, what all-in-one unit did you choose to replace such a competent DAC/Headphone amp?:D
First, Matrix Mini-i PRO 3, then another RME ADI-2/4 PRO SE + whatever streamer. ;)

sonitus mirus

First, Matrix Mini-i PRO 3, then another RME ADI-2/4 PRO SE + whatever streamer. ;)

I think I did the same thing if you consider an iPad Mini to be a "streamer"?

Streamer - Copy.jpg

auricom

Is the tested AKM unit Version 1 with AK4490? I couldn't see B letter in the serial number.
I also don't understand this. AK4493 (v2) should have letter B, and also hole, the one coming to me has a slightly different looking hole (might be because of lighting), letter B, and larger remote. RME forums also say letter B stands for v2, and C for v3 (ESS).

Anyway, I'm unsure of my purchase (big surprise!) because many seem to point out the narrower soundstage in RME compared to similar products, some even say it has less details and is boring. Price was good, it was used. I can return it. Still looking if I can find something better (chinese brands?) for the price. I need DAC, pre-amp for my Genelec's (XLR), and decent headphone out. I guess 2 devices is still fine, but preferably all-in-one. 3 would be too much. I don't know if I need all the RME features, and if I'm paying for them. I also don't care about perfect accuracy. I care about the best perceived sound.

Last edited:
OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway, I'm unsure of my purchase (big surprise!) because many seem to point out the narrower soundstage in RME compared to similar products, some even say it has less details and is boring. Price was good, it was used. I can return it.
So you need other people to tell you how something you already own is supposed to sound, even if these claims are perfectly wrong to begin with ?... There's no such thing as "narrower soundstage, less details and boring" with the ADI-2 DAC.
Still looking if I can find something better (chinese brands?) for the price.
You can't.
I also don't care about perfect accuracy. I care about the best perceived sound.
Since both are perfectly correlated, you should be fine. ;)

I also don't understand this. AK4493 (v2) should have letter B, and also hole
This was one of the very first V2 sample to be produced, without the letter B.

Last edited:
I also don't understand this. AK4493 (v2) should have letter B, and also hole, the one coming to me has a slightly different looking hole (might be because of lighting), letter B, and larger remote. RME forums also say letter B stands for v2, and C for v3 (ESS).

Anyway, I'm unsure of my purchase (big surprise!) because many seem to point out the narrower soundstage in RME compared to similar products, some even say it has less details and is boring. Price was good, it was used. I can return it. Still looking if I can find something better (chinese brands?) for the price. I need DAC, pre-amp for my Genelec's (XLR), and decent headphone out. I guess 2 devices is still fine, but preferably all-in-one. 3 would be too much. I don't know if I need all the RME features, and if I'm paying for them. I also don't care about perfect accuracy. I care about the best perceived sound.
I have a friend who borrowed my RME ADI-2 DAC FS (4493). He wanted to compare the "little" box to his big $$$ DAC; redbook CDs, Some hi-rez and DSD material. I was expecting that it would be amusing to note the differences in favour of the more expensive gear. I won't make this long: he kept my RME in his system and asked to purchase it from me; and the RME did even better with DSD decoding. He still cannot get over the performance of the ADI-2 DAC. There is more to say, but it's an undeniable great dac and extremely good value.

auricom

Thanks for the replies. I don't own ADI-2 DAC FS yet.
Would the older ADI-2 PRO FS be better or worse SQ wise (headphones/speakers)? I suspect not better. One used is available.

When it arrives I can compare it to my current Asus Xonar Essence One MUSES Edition (upgraded to MKII) but that's it.

Do you think PSU upgrade would make it even better? Even some real reviewers say it deserves better PSU and it can be changed. Some say it made a big difference and some say nothing at all. But then comes the talk about power cables with as large improvements, and I closed the site.
There is no such thing as soundstage in DAC’s that’s not how they work .
I was actually thinking the same. Based on what I remember. So I was thinking if they are talking about headphone amp etc. but I don't think that was the case. But it's not the first time I read about it, and not the first site.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I don't own ADI-2 DAC FS yet.
Would the older ADI-2 PRO FS be better or worse SQ wise (headphones/speakers)? I suspect not better. One used is available.

When it arrives I can compare it to my current Asus Xonar Essence One MUSES Edition (upgraded to MKII) but that's it.

Do you think PSU upgrade would make it even better? Even some real reviewers say it deserves better PSU and it can be changed. Some say it made a big difference and some say nothing at all. But then comes the talk about power cables with as large improvements, and I closed the site.

I was actually thinking the same. Based on what I remember. So I was thinking if they are talking about headphone amp etc. but I don't think that was the case. But it's not the first time I read about it, and not the first site.
1. I tried a 12 Vdc battery pack to power the RME. Assuming it is quieter than the AC-DC supply power supply from RME: I still cannot detect any differences in sound.
2. While I am quite happy with the headphone section of the RME when using the crossed set to 1 or 2, I have added an external Head amp, a Schiit Midgard, and it really sounds nicer with my Neumann headphones; at least nice enough that I use it.

Best of luck going forward.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would the older ADI-2 PRO FS be better or worse SQ wise (headphones/speakers)?
Not better.
Louder if needed (which is probably not the case).
But the purpose of the Pro is different: you have 2 stereo DACs and headphones amps instead of 1 and 1 stereo ADC. But no remote on this version.
Do you think PSU upgrade would make it even better?
No, it wouldn't make any audible difference.
I use a battery power supply for measurements sometimes, to grab an extra 0.5dB (or less) of noise.
But, obviously, that's not something you'd be able to notice.

3125b

Major Contributor
I have one, it's almost five years old and works just fine.
Unless you need one of the "Pro" features like analog inputs, balanced headphone amp or AES (which might be interesting if you are considering high-end studio monitors), you're probably better off with the new ADI-2 DAC with remote.

Even some real reviewers say it deserves better PSU and it can be changed
They better back that up with measurements.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@MC_RME will just point to the manual where we clearly made our point about power supplies. ;)

Ground issues, a ground loop, or no ground aka leakage current issues, or leakage with wrong grounding - all this could be cured by a linear power supply. But this is noise that shouldn't be there and is clearly audible as such. It's not some mysterious bass, mid, treble, soundstage, veiled issue. A different ps will not change the basic sound of an ADI-2 unit at all.

Last edited:

Klonatans

Forum Donor
Hi @MC_RME,

I'm thinking about buying an RME ADI-2 DAC FS because of its integrated PEQ that is missing in my current DAC/preamp. Do you have any plans to release an updated or brand new device in the near future?

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
No plan. We are not the company that spits out changed units every 6 months. Instead you know what you get and often enough get some more even after years ;)

Klonatans

Forum Donor
No plan. We are not the company that spits out changed units every 6 months. Instead you know what you get and often enough get some more even after years ;)
Thank you for the answer. It's not that something is wrong with ADI-2 DAC FS, I just wanted to be aware that there's no imminent release of a new DAC just before I buy the device.

Top Bottom