• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 DAC - Comments and a question

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just got the captioned DAC/headphone amp a couple of days ago. It is, for now, used exclusively with Sennheiser HD-800 and Audeze LCD headphones. My initial impression is that it is dead-quiet and has plenty of headroom for dynamic peaks, comparable to what I had with Benchmark's first and second generation DAC's and better than other headphone amps I've used, esp. my several portables such as Ray Samuels, Headamp, and Fiio. I haven't yet used my IEM's, so will report back on that.

However, the RME also has parametric EQ, balance, and other features that are duplicated by the Roon software in the server computer, an i7 processor in a Mac Mini. Query: is there any reason to prefer EQ-type operations in the server's audio software as opposed to the DAC and its instructions/software/firmware (I have no idea how a DAC does this stuff)?

Top Bottom