• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

jae

Major Contributor
The SMPS for adi 2/4 will solve some "current leaking" issue in the old style non grounded SMPS. It now has a grounded connection. On a standing foot I dont know what it means. MC has given a brief description in ADI 2/4 thread at RME forum about this and the new LPS. I havent given this much thought yet. I will wait for a full description and an actual product (and price ofcourse). Alot of people swear to LPS, and if RME surveyd this and found that alot of audiophiles actually refuse to buy a product with an adapter type SMPS it just starts to make sense. So what may look like a sellout could just be a way to reach a broader market. So WTH it probably wont sound worse, just a little more confidence for nervous people. With the tone RME sets with their products it would be strange to a degree of schizophrenia to wander of into audiophile mumbo jumbo. OK RME are sales people, but I think they are %99 straight shooters. Hence MC doesnt make a claim to better sound, and how could he. They have touted the SMPS solution all along as good enough or better. Anyway clean power is always a nice thing, right. About SMPS Ive never heard any switching noise or buzz sound when I touch my headphones.

For me to buy this it would be a minimum techspec to be able to connect ADI-2 PRO fsr and UCXII at the same time. Or at least since the ADI 2/4 will connect with a special contact to have the option to connect another 12v device at the same time and that it drive these devices with no effort..
Maybe it will be a benefit for those using it at the cutting edge, for example maybe the ADC? There are people using these as measurement devices. ADI-2 PRO is already the best measuring (confirmed by 3rd party) ADC, so we can assume this will at least be on par or marginally better. Combined with Cosmos ADC this will probably be the best one can get to measure SINAD at a reasonable price.

DonDish

Maybe it will be a benefit for those using it at the cutting edge, for example maybe the ADC? There are people using these as measurement devices. ADI-2 PRO is already the best measuring (confirmed by 3rd party) ADC, so we can assume this will at least be on par or marginally better. Combined with Cosmos ADC this will probably be the best one can get to measure SINAD at a reasonable price.
To encapsulate what the ADI-2 pro is i wanna quote some other guy here: ".. These guys(RME) just think of everything." I had it for some months now, and still learning its functions. Its just so much. Ithink next iteration will have a new and better ADC chip so measurment crowd may like this. Lots of rumors. Im excited to see what its about!

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
next iteration will have a new and better ADC chip so measurment crowd may like this.
Measurements crowd is also looking forward for the additional ranges.

Current ADI-2 Pro fs (R) has 4 ADC and DAC ranges in balanced mode: +4dBu, +13dBu, +19dBu and +24dBu.

You may add to that picture that the Balanced phones output may be considered a 5th DAC range (up to +28dBu, almost 20V rms !)
and that the DAC allows to push every standard 4 ranges by up to 2.5dB (with a sine wave).

To illustrate, here is the SINAD performance of the current ADI-2Pro fs R's DAC for all ranges.
I added the 2 ranges of the Topping D90LE.
(All measurements in Mono, summing the 2 output - which is what I do for measurements)

Yes, the Topping peaks higher.
But that's only true on a very narrow range.
For the vast majority of the voltages, the RME is equal or better. Of course, the Topping peaks at 5V
(If you want to measure very low signal, with an attenuator, the RME is also better)

The new RME ADI-2/4 Pro will have more ranges still. And probably raise performance a bit (although the current version is quite impressive already - check the vertical scale.
I expect the improvement mostly on ADC side.)

2022-08-29 12_52_56-Greenshot.png

Quoting Matthias (@MC_RME) from the RME forum:
"we improved the existing hardware reference levels in two ways: full coverage and one step more (+1, +7, +13, +19, +24 dBu). And made sure that the lower ref levels reach the max in SNR by attenuating at the output (including the self noise of the output opamps)."

So the lowest range, which is below in terms of performance, will be replaced by 2 ranges with improved performance.

Last edited:

DonDish

Measurements crowd is also looking forward for the additional ranges.

Current ADI-2 Pro fs (R) has 4 ADC and DAC ranges in balanced mode: +4dBu, +13dBu, +19dBu and +24dBu.

You may add to that picture that the Balanced phones output may be considered a 5th DAC range (up to +28dBu, almost 20V rms !)
and that the DAC allows to push every standard 4 ranges by up to 2.5dB (with a sine wave).

To illustrate, here is the SINAD performance of the current ADI-2Pro fs R's DAC for all ranges.
I added the 2 ranges of the Topping D90LE.
(All measurements in Mono, summing the 2 output - which is what I do for measurements)

Yes, the Topping peaks higher.
But that's only true on a very narrow range.
For the vast majority of the voltages, the RME is equal or better. Of course, the Topping peaks at 5V
(If you want to measure very low signal, with an attenuator, the RME is also better)

The new RME ADI-2/4 Pro will have more ranges still. And probably raise performance a bit (although the current version is quite impressive already - check the vertical scale.
I expect the improvement mostly on ADC side.)

View attachment 229626

Quoting Matthias (@MC_RME) from the RME forum:
"we improved the existing hardware reference levels in two ways: full coverage and one step more (+1, +7, +13, +19, +24 dBu). And made sure that the lower ref levels reach the max in SNR by attenuating at the output (including the self noise of the output opamps)."

So the lowest range, which is below in terms of performance, will be replaced by 2 ranges with improved performance.
This is interesting and thnx for clarification. I see now that +4 will be exchanged with +1 and +7.

Last edited:

DonDish

SE.jpg
SE_1.jpg

Scouting for some stuff I came across this. Roughly €2641. ADI-2 PRO price for comparison currency NOK. 107 days to go, from this date it says. Edited away My name, Store name and photo of salesman. I deal with these ppl so dont want to make fuzz. Coming to a store near you.

Mowz

View attachment 231148View attachment 231149

Scouting for some stuff I came across this. Roughly €2641. ADI-2 PRO price for comparison currency NOK. 107 days to go, from this date it says. Edited away My name, Store name and photo of salesman. I deal with these ppl so dont want to make fuzz. Coming to a store near you

View attachment 231148View attachment 231149

Scouting for some stuff I came across this. Roughly €2641. ADI-2 PRO price for comparison currency NOK. 107 days to go, from this date it says. Edited away My name, Store name and photo of salesman. I deal with these ppl so dont want to make fuzz. Coming to a store near you.
Likely a placeholder until the actual date, new year not being a popular release date.

DonDish

Likely a placeholder until the actual date, new year not being a popular release date.
Yeah! I wouldnt read to much into this.. Late autumn someone said... They seem to have an opinion about the price though

Top Bottom