• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE - RIAA mode measurements

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No idea on the output range, you can change that?
Have a look in user manual, paragraph 12.2.1
Ref level for main output may be set for +1dBu, +7dBu, +13dBu, +19dBu or +24dBu.
One of the strength of the device, compared to a standard DAC.

I suggest you look at which value you are, decrease it, and remove the pads.

JDSS

Exactly, that's what you will get.

And here the schematics on how to connect the Male XLR to your pickup. They write MC-Pickup here but is the same for MM.
You have to solder the 100k resisor between Pin 2 and 2 of the male XLR-Connector. Can be easily placed inside the connector housing.
HI did you actually mean " between Pin 2 and 3 of the male XLR-Connector"? I ordered my RCA to TS connector but I could changed the order to a RCA to XLR instead, if the benefit is so obvious. Thanks!

-27 to -6 is OK for Volume in the ADI-2/4. But you should decrease the output reference volume and get rid of the Shure 20dB inline pad. Check the I/O settings of the ADI.
But if I do that I need to turn the ADI 2/4's volume down another 20 dB, or it's way too loud in the room. The analogue pad is necessary. I'd rather have the ADI closer to digital zero and use an analogue pad, than digitally reduce the level that much, although I guess in practise the difference may not be audible. The ATCs have no volume control, just two reference input sensitivities, and I'm already using the quietest one.

Have a look in user manual, paragraph 12.2.1
Ref level for main output may be set for +1dBu, +7dBu, +13dBu, +19dBu or +24dBu.
One of the strength of the device, compared to a standard DAC.

I suggest you look at which value you are, decrease it, and remove the pads.
I'm already at the quietest level of +1dBu, it can't be reduced any more.

JDSS

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3400.jpg

Unit arrived today, hooked up to my Rega RP6 and 8341a actives and wow...I think I am selling my EAR912. Thanks to all the great members on this board, now I am re-discovering tons of details never before heard:)
Now I put it to pre-amp mode but from the manual, it looks I cannot route files from toslink to XLR out? I'm wondering what would be the best solution to use both analog-in and toslink simultaneously?

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
Use DAC mode.

EDIT. I use AES out to my 8341A not analogue XLR. Using DAC mode on ADI set Digital Out Source to Main Out. In GLM select digital in and set master gain to -30.

Last edited:

JDSS

Use DAC mode.

EDIT. I use AES out to my 8341A not analogue XLR. Using DAC mode on ADI set Digital Out Source to Main Out. In GLM select digital in and set master gain to -30.
If using AES, will you be able to adjust volume via ADi? Setting master gain in GLM is to prevent the speaker from playing too loud? Thanks!

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
Yes, if you set Digital Out Source to Main Out on the ADI-2/4 the digital out will be volume controlled. Saves an unnecessary D/A - A/D conversion.

The master gain reduction on GLM will mean you use a volume range closer to max output. Gain stage matching.

JDSS

Yes, if you set Digital Out Source to Main Out on the ADI-2/4 the digital out will be volume controlled. Saves an unnecessary D/A - A/D conversion.

The master gain reduction on GLM will mean you use a volume range closer to max output. Gain stage matching.
Great to learn, Thx!

JDSS

Use DAC mode.

Switched to DAC mode, do you know how to change the clock? It's 44.1k by default and couldn't find a way to change it, it was 192k in preamp mode though
IMG_3421.jpg

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Please read the manual. It clearly explains why you can't change the clock in DAC mode.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Really a killer device with that RIAA input + PEQ.

Does native DSD work while using the volume control or only in DAC mode?

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really a killer device with that RIAA input + PEQ.

Does native DSD work while using the volume control or only in DAC mode?
From the manual:

DSD can not be processed digitally.
Therefore DSP functions like Bass, Treble, Loudness, EQ etc. are disabled in DSD mode.
The volume control is no longer done by the DSP, but the DAC
chip. You won’t notice that, volume operation at the ADI-2/4 Pro SE is seamless and behaves identical in any mode.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I was hoping there would be more user reviews about the RIAA input and it's quality :)

JDSS

I was hoping there would be more user reviews about the RIAA input and it's quality :)
Hi I have been using RIAA input for about 200 hours now, really amazing and makes you wonder how advancement in technology can make our lives more exciting. Some of the records I play with this system are like 70 years old but the music is so vivid it is like recorded yesterday. My system consists of a Rega RP6 turntable, rme adi-2/4 connected to a pair of Genelec 8341s via AES. Hope this helps.

Similar story here, had the 2/4 on pre-order, got it last December, been playing vinyl through it ever since. Sounds better than the Radial J33 phono pre I was using for more than a decade before. Heavily modded RP6 with AT 150 MLX cart into ATC monitors. Can even click remove whilst listening, with something like REAPER and iZotope or Acon plugs. Everything at 24/96. It's a fantastic box, and with the "Remote" software just around the corner will be even better. I have EQ presets stored for the vinyl input and the HD600 and ER4 XR cans. I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Same as me.
Run a ProJect RPM9 Carbon with a Shure V15V-MR (original NOS stylus) directly to balanced in of ADI-2/4 Phone stage (with a 100k resistor between + and - as recommended) and am absolutely convinced.
Much better as my analog preamp before. Cleaner and and more transparent. Like it :)

Top Bottom