• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE - RIAA mode measurements

JDSS

I use ADI-2/4 Pro as ADC and DAC with great success at the same time for input and output. Please see my posts here:
Love your post, thanks @DrCWO !

JDSS

No, it's one of those Neutrik combo jacks, with regular XLR plus a jack socket in the middle, so all you need is phono to jack adapters.
Apologize for my lack of high-school physics knowledge...but I just need a female RCA to male TS connector to hook my TT with RME right? No need to solder any resistors in this way?

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Apologize for my lack of high-school physics knowledge...but I just need a female RCA to male TS connector to hook my TT with RME right? No need to solder any resistors in this way?
The resistor is only needed if you use the XLR input.

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You need this
(Twice)
jack-naar-tulp-adapter-6.3mm.jpg

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Exactly! That's how I'm doing it.
In general it is better to go via XLR and solder the 100k resistor. It will decreases hum as in this case there is no ground connection on the signal. The pickup is a coil that has no "hot" or "cold" end so the more natural thing would be to connect it via XLR.

In general it is better to go via XLR and solder the 100k resistor. It will decreases hum as in this case there is no ground connection on the signal. The pickup is a coil that has no "hot" or "cold" end so the more natural thing would be to connect it via XLR.
But it sounds so great as it is! What would one gain, lower noise? Where are the instructions on how to, and where to, put a 100k resistor? I'm not sure I could be arsed to faff around with a soldering iron doing it, when it sounds so good already.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
What would one gain, lower noise?

Exactly, that's what you will get.

And here the schematics on how to connect the Male XLR to your pickup. They write MC-Pickup here but is the same for MM.
You have to solder the 100k resisor between Pin 2 and 2 of the male XLR-Connector. Can be easily placed inside the connector housing.

Edit:
I connected the Ground Wire of the Turntable to the shield (Pin 1) of both channels and nowhere else.

1684933629077.png

Edit 2:
If your tonearm has a 5-pin connector the schematics is like this. Also Resistor of 100k between Pin 2 and 3
1684934029945.png

Last edited:
OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that's what RME specifies in the manual too (chapter 34.28)
A small 100k ohm metal film resistor soldered between XLR pin 2 and 3 will fit inside the XLR male plug without issue.
I connected the Ground Wire of the Turntable to the shield (Pin 1) of both channels and nowhere else.
Why of the 2 channels ?
Isn't one enough ?

Last edited:
Exactly, that's what you will get.

And here the schematics on how to connect the Male XLR to your pickup. They write MC-Pickup here but is the same for MM.
You have to solder the 100k resisor between Pin 2 and 2 of the male XLR-Connector. Can be easily placed inside the connector housing.

Edit:

View attachment 287914

Edit 2:
If your tonearm has a 5-pin connector the schematics is like this. Also Resistor of 100k between Pin 2 and 3
View attachment 287917
Thanks so much for this, I'll have a think about it, might order the resistors and do it next time I have a cable soldering marathon! Will the level be exactly the same as before?

No, it will be 6db quieter. But this can be fixed by increasing input sensitivity inside the ADI-2/4
Cool, I was just wondering. I'm normally on 26dB sensitivity at around -9 on the volume for vinyl (into active monitors with a -20dB pad), so should be plenty of gain left.

-20dB pad ?
What output range are you using ?
No idea on the output range, you can change that? Or do you just mean the 2/4's digital volume control for the output? If so then with the vinyl it's usually somewhere between -12 and -6 depending on the pressing.

Yes, the signal chain is Pro 2/4, Shure 20dB inline pad, ATC active monitors. I usually like to listen around 70-80dB SPL in the room. I have the volume control on the 2/4 anywhere between -27 and -6 for different purposes, different masters, vinyl, music, TV, streaming, films, games etc. everything is connected to it!

For vinyl with my AT-150 MLX MM cart most pressings are good at the 26dB sensitivity. Really loud 45 12"s I sometimes reduce to 20dB, and really quiet pressings sometimes get bumped up to 30dB, but 26dB does it for probably 80% of my vinyl collection. I've asked RME to add the ability to control the sensitivity from the remote and they said they are working on it for a future firmware release.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yes, the signal chain is Pro 2/4, Shure 20dB inline pad, ATC active monitors. I usually like to listen around 70-80dB SPL in the room. I have the volume control on the 2/4 anywhere between -27 and -6 for different purposes, different masters, vinyl, music, TV, streaming, films, games etc. everything is connected to it!
-27 to -6 is OK for Volume in the ADI-2/4. But you should decrease the output reference volume and get rid of the Shure 20dB inline pad. Check the I/O settings of the ADI.

Top Bottom