• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE - RIAA mode measurements

JP

Major Contributor
@DrCWO is the latency for rooPlay still ~10s due to Roon's buffering strategy?

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sorry to report but YES. Roon has still no option to decrease buffer size.

But maybe you can look at it positive.

Dropping the needle you will have time to sit down until the music starts playing ;)

ethanhallbeyer

To those who own this new ADI 2/4 Pro SE, and ideally also have a previous unit like the BE, can you confirm how the heat generated by this thing compares to the older models? I read a thread on gearspace where someone mentioned the older units would generate more heat than even their tube gear, and they were concerned the newer unit would be more demanding and would therefore generate at least as much heat, if not more. Just curious about this.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
can you confirm how the heat generated by this thing compares to the older models?
I would take a look in the technical specs of both and see how much watt they consume.
But in not nearly in the region of a tube amp :facepalm:

Edit:
Checked the Data Sheet and found specs regarding the power supply of both devices:
ADI-2 Pro FS: 12V / 2A means 24W
ADI-2/4 Pro: 12V / 3.3A means 39.6W

These are the maximum ratings of the power supply's!
The power consumption of the devices and therefor the heat dissipation should be far below.

Tube amps are in a region far above 100W.
Hope that helps.

Best DrCWO

Last edited:

Ricwa

Forum Donor
To those who own this new ADI 2/4 Pro SE, and ideally also have a previous unit like the BE, can you confirm how the heat generated by this thing compares to the older models? I read a thread on gearspace where someone mentioned the older units would generate more heat than even their tube gear, and they were concerned the newer unit would be more demanding and would therefore generate at least as much heat, if not more. Just curious about this.

I had an older AK chip ADI-2 DAC FS that was barely warm to the touch. My new ADI-2/4 Pro SE gets noticeably warmer, but nowhere near as warm as any tube gear.

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any ADI-2 Pro is getting warm to the hand.
Better not to stack them directly.
Nothing of concern. That's just how they work.
I've been severely abusing them for measurements purpose for years (much more challenging than normal use !) and never had any issue.

BergeHiFi

Yes you can connect it directly to ADI-2/4 with an XLR cable.

You need a cable with the mini turntable connector on one side and two XLR connectors on the other side. I got mine from the dealer where I bought my RPM9.
In the RPM9 the mini connector is at the bottom of the tone arm axis. I plugged the XLR connectors of this cable into the XLR-input of my ADI-2/4.

But there is one issue: The XLR input of the ADI-2/4 has a too high input impedance. You have to solder a resistor of 100kOhm between Pin 2 and 3 of the XLR Plug at the cable. 100kOhm is exactly the value RME recommends and that I used with my Shure V15 V-MR. If you can't do that I am sure your HiFi dealer will do it for you.

Edit:
The advantage of symmetric input via XLR is that you absolutely have no hum.
You also did not have to make an extra connection to earth. This is provided via the shield (Pin1) of XLR :)
You need equivalent like this if your connector will be the same as mine...

Best DrCWO
Than you very much! :D

JDSS

Hi I'm new to this board so sorry if I miss some previous posts. Just curious has anyone done an A/B test of hooking a TT with Adi-2/4 directly compared with the traditional way with a quality phono stage? Am using EAR-912 pre-amp and thinking about possibility of using Adi-2/4 for both vinyl and streaming. I'm getting a pair of Genelec 8341s for main speakers. Thanks!

Chester

Hi I'm new to this board so sorry if I miss some previous posts. Just curious has anyone done an A/B test of hooking a TT with Adi-2/4 directly compared with the traditional way with a quality phono stage? Am using EAR-912 pre-amp and thinking about possibility of using Adi-2/4 for both vinyl and streaming. I'm getting a pair of Genelec 8341s for main speakers. Thanks!

I’ve used it with a TT and Cambridge Duo. It sounded great.

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
I used to use a NAD phono stage with an ADI-2 PRO FS R. I've now got the ADI-2/4 PRO SE which I've used direct with an MM and with a SUT with an MC. They all sounded fine. The RME ADC is transparent enough to remind me why I never bother with vinyl anymore.

Whether you like the ADI-2/4's sound is another matter. I home demoed an EAR 834P years ago and found it far from transparent.

Actually, as a result of that home trial I personally found out what an idiot Tim de Paravicini was.

I also have 8341As. Great choice.

JDSS

I used to use a NAD phono stage with an ADI-2 PRO FS R. I've now got the ADI-2/4 PRO SE which I've used direct with an MM and with a SUT with an MC. They all sounded fine. The RME ADC is transparent enough to remind me why I never bother with vinyl anymore.

Whether you like the ADI-2/4's sound is another matter. I home demoed an EAR 834P years ago and found it far from transparent.

Actually, as a result of that home trial I personally found out what an idiot Tim de Paravicini was.

I also have 8341As. Great choice.
This is exactly the insight I need. You know 912 is basically 834 with a pre-amp. I love the warm sound the phono side it produces (I mostly listen to jazz vinyls) but as for pre-amp, I'd prefer my old Bryston BP20...And agreed on how over-priced EAR stuffs are these days. I think I'm getting ADi-2/4 and do that A/B test myself and if turns out to be the result I suspect, I am selling the EAR912. Really appreciate the input!

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
If it was me I would get an 834P clone then you can use that in front of the 2/4 if you miss the sound signature of the EAR.

baccus

I have an Technics 1210 mk2 with a cable lenght of ~1 meter, but i want to place the turntable 4-5 meters away from the RME.
Is there a way to do it without an external PhonoPre?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an Technics 1210 mk2 with a cable lenght of ~1 meter, but i want to place the turntable 4-5 meters away from the RME.
Is there a way to do it without an external PhonoPre?
No. With an MM pickup cable capacitance is too high, with an MC pickup you might catch too much external noise/hum.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I use ADI-2/4 Pro as ADC and DAC with great success at the same time for input and output. Please see my posts here:

Top Bottom