• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE - RIAA mode measurements

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Been spinning vinyl through the 2/4 all day, sounds great. Heavily modded Rega RP6 with AT150MLX cart. 2/4 ref level set to +26 dB, works well for most cuts, good level, no clipping. All the EQ/filter options are great for getting it to sound just right. Haven't tried it with my old phono pre into analogue ins instead, not sure I will as it's sounding great as is. Be nice if they added an option to monitor the analogue inputs pre ADC at some point, for people that want to do their own digital RIAA curves etc.

That last sentence I don't understand. You want to do digital RIAA but monitor pre ADC - what is that good for? You would listen to a very low level, heavily treble boosted signal. If you want to do your own digital RIAA compensation all you need to do is use the ADI-2/4 without switching on RIAA mode, with analog input set to the lowest Ref Level of +1 dBu, then apply digital gain and RIAA EQ on your computer.

Last edited:
That last sentence I don't understand. You want to do digital RIAA but monitor pre ADC - what is that good for? You would listen to a very low level, heavily treble boosted signal. If you want to do your own digital RIAA compensation all you need to do is use the ADI-2/4 without switching on RIAA mode, with analog input set to the lowest Ref Level of +1 dBu, then apply digital gain and RIAA EQ on your computer.
Yeah you're totally right MC, it was a brain fart. :)

Kax

Hi everyone, can this be used as a replacement for a DAC3 L (and eventually even my phono preamp) in the following setup :
  • roon > pi4 (ropieee) > Benchmark DAC3 L > Benchmark AHB2 > Speakers
  • Turntable > Cambridge Duo > Benchmark DAC3 L > Benchmark AHB2 > Speakers
I'd like to add the possibility for DSP for room correction and sub integration (crossover).
I have a monolith 12 v2 in a box waiting to be used and Focal aria 906.

Chester

Hi everyone, can this be used as a replacement for a DAC3 L (and eventually even my phono preamp) in the following setup :
  • roon > pi4 (ropieee) > Benchmark DAC3 L > Benchmark AHB2 > Speakers
  • Turntable > Cambridge Duo > Benchmark DAC3 L > Benchmark AHB2 > Speakers
I'd like to add the possibility for DSP for room correction and sub integration (crossover).
I have a monolith 12 v2 in a box waiting to be used and Focal aria 906.

Yes, and the Cambridge Duo if you wish.

Kax

Yes, and the Cambridge Duo if you wish.
Thank you! I'm a bit sad to say goodbye to the DAC3 L but I can't find a solution with sub integration while keeping it.
Anyone know if I'll be able to keep the low gain on the AHB2 with this RME?

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
Thank you! I'm a bit sad to say goodbye to the DAC3 L but I can't find a solution with sub integration while keeping it.
Anyone know if I'll be able to keep the low gain on the AHB2 with this RME?
The max output of the RME is +24 dBu. Quick look at the DAC 3 L's specs gives +30 dBu I think? Don't know what your speakers need.

Kax

The max output of the RME is +24 dBu. Quick look at the DAC 3 L's specs gives +30 dBu I think? Don't know what your speakers need.
No idea. They are Focal Aria 906. Right now with the DAC3 L the AHB2 amp is on low gain which is perfect.
I'm using an MM turntable so the Duo replacement should be fine.

How are you hooking up your sub? High Level connections? Benchmark have FAQs on their website for connecting to AHB2 amps, either in dual mono or stereo mode, hence if you are using high level inputs on the sub, you are golden.

Reactions: Kax

HerbertWest

How are you hooking up your sub? High Level connections? Benchmark have FAQs on their website for connecting to AHB2 amps, either in dual mono or stereo mode, hence if you are using high level inputs on the sub, you are golden.

Uhm, HL input on the subs would help with the crossover, but maybe defeat the purpose of having separate PEQ for subs via the ADI. Maybe I am missing something.

The ADI2/4 has 4 xlr/trs out, and I’d use these to interconnect the subs, IF you can have the crossover duties done outside of the adi, eg in software via the ADI USB I/O. (At least my adi2 pro fs doesn’t support ”proper” crossovers or latency management for room correction.)

Example:

Turntable > ADI (analog in) > roomcorrection-unit(USB in/out) ->
ADI - > AHB2 Speakers
ADI - > Sub

I guess the room correction unit doesn’t have to be connected via USB, it could also be something that accepts AES in (from the ADI), and has 4 aes channels out to map the 4 xlr/trs out (2 would go in the adi via AES (in), 2 via the SPDIF-IN with a proper cable specified in the manual), eg a miniDSP SHD studio unit.

Kax

Uhm, HL input on the subs would help with the crossover, but maybe defeat the purpose of having separate PEQ for subs via the ADI. Maybe I am missing something.

The ADI2/4 has 4 xlr/trs out, and I’d use these to interconnect the subs, IF you can have the crossover duties done outside of the adi, eg in software via the ADI USB I/O. (At least my adi2 pro fs doesn’t support ”proper” crossovers or latency management for room correction.)

Example:

Turntable > ADI (analog in) > roomcorrection-unit(USB in/out) ->
ADI - > AHB2 Speakers
ADI - > Sub

I guess the room correction unit doesn’t have to be connected via USB, it could also be something that accepts AES in (from the ADI), and has 4 aes channels out to map the 4 xlr/trs out (2 would go in the adi via AES (in), 2 via the SPDIF-IN with a proper cable specified in the manual), eg a miniDSP SHD studio unit.
Right now the sub is not even unboxed. It's a Monolith 12 so it has line input and XLR. On my system the easiest option would be to connect it directly to the DAC3 L with RCA cables. I've not used it yet because I have no way to apply a high pass filter to my speakers and thought integration would be poor only using the options available on the sub itself for crossover (let me know if I'm mistaken). Hence the idea of using the RME for mainly crossover: applying high pass filter to the speaker and having the sub directly connected using XLR. In order to do I was thinking of using the DSP options of the RME with the help of the minidsp mic + REW.

I'm not sure I understand your message, are you saying the RME is not able to do proper crossover?

EDIT:
I guess I understand that I would still need a proper DSP to do a clean job and the possibilities offered by the RME are limited.
But then if I need to add another device such as a minidsp SHD studio could I just go with keeping my DAC3L and adding a minidsp flex (balanced) so:

Sources (ropieee/turntable) > DAC3 L > minidsp flex balanced ->
minidsp flex balanced > AHB2 > Speakers
minidsp flex balanced > Sub

This is starting to be offtopic :)

Last edited:

Chester

Well, I had read it was fiddly to get your turntable ground connected between the ADI-2/4 and included splitter cable but couldn’t understand why. I still don’t understand why but it is definitely not the easiest, especially if you have your ADI in a unit or equivalent tight space.

I have 2 (no doubt) stupid questions:

1. Does having the splitter cable attached with all those loose connections act as an RFI antenna? Instinctively feels odd connecting them and just leaving them drifting behind my unit, just to ground my turntable.

2. Can I not just use a trimmed down screw off an old VGA cable to connect the ground wire to the RME? Would be easier and tidier I am thinking?

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
1. Not at all. And it is shielded, so just grounded metal like the whole enclosure.

2. Sure you can. Sometimes a small washer added might also help to better secure the ground fork of the turntable at the D-sub.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I recommend connecting the pickup of the turntable in a balanced way to the XLR input of the ADI-2/4 (as shown here scroll a bit down).
Connecting it this way you don't need grounding any more as the mains hum is canceled out by the differential input.
If the chassis of your turntable has to be grounded connect it to the cable shield.
In this configuration you have to add a resistor of 100k Ohm between Pins 2 and 3 of the XLR connector to get the 47k input impedance for the pickup.
In my setup I did it exactly that way and completely omitted ground connection with absolutely no issues.

And remember: The pickup is s balanced source so it makes sense to connect it in a balanced way for best results.

Best DrCWO

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yes you can connect it directly to ADI-2/4 with an XLR cable.

You need a cable with the mini turntable connector on one side and two XLR connectors on the other side. I got mine from the dealer where I bought my RPM9.
In the RPM9 the mini connector is at the bottom of the tone arm axis. I plugged the XLR connectors of this cable into the XLR-input of my ADI-2/4.

But there is one issue: The XLR input of the ADI-2/4 has a too high input impedance. You have to solder a resistor of 100kOhm between Pin 2 and 3 of the XLR Plug at the cable. 100kOhm is exactly the value RME recommends and that I used with my Shure V15 V-MR. If you can't do that I am sure your HiFi dealer will do it for you.

Edit:
The advantage of symmetric input via XLR is that you absolutely have no hum.
You also did not have to make an extra connection to earth. This is provided via the shield (Pin1) of XLR :)
You need equivalent like this if your connector will be the same as mine...

Best DrCWO

Last edited:
Top Bottom