• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to say at that stage.
Better DAC and/or ADC ? We don't know yet.

From what we read: the rear jack (now TRS instead of TS) may be used for Output 3/4, the DSP will be more powerful, allowing more EQ bands, there is a balanced phone plug (where you needed to use the 2 front jacks with an adapter), and the phones amp in balanced mode is slightly more powerful, it seems (was 2.9W before)
No revolution that we know of at that stage.

Now, if they swapped DAC and ADC to ESS, as is likely, due to AKM delivery problems, we may see some further performance improvement there.
Expect a few dB improvement maximum (previous model is already VERY performant. Much more than the (arbitrary) 4V SINAD ranking suggests.)
I made a mistake here, sorry.
On ADI-2 pro fs R, the rear jack output is balanced TRS.
So the only difference there seems that they now may be used for phone 3/4 output as well.

That was already the case, but channel 3/4 was on front stereo jack, unbalanced, only.
The rear jack connectors were meant for TS (unbalanced) on 1/2
See above.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Along with 2 new independent outputs channels 3 and 4.
Current model has 4 independant channels right? 2 on the front (headphones) and 2 on the back?

So new model will have 4 on the back?

What about 2 on the front? So 6 total?

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Current model has 4 independant channels right? 2 on the front (headphones) and 2 on the back?

So new model will have 4 on the back?

What about 2 on the front? So 6 total?
AFAIK the current model the outputs are not independent, that is, you cannot apply FX to one and not the other as presumably the new one allows. But let's wait for the final release and we will know more.

Music1969

Major Contributor
AFAIK the current model the outputs are not independent, that is, you cannot apply FX to one and not the other as presumably the new one allows. But let's wait for the final release and we will know more.
Current model has 3 and 4 at the front (headphones) I thought:

1653662983489.png

Music1969

Major Contributor
Pic of the front of new model says Phones 1/2 and 3/4

So I guess will not be 6 channels.

Main thing for multichannel fans is 4 independent balanced outputs all on the rear now

Noodles

Well as long as line outs on the back can be toggled to output always regardless of plugged in headphones it would be great.

dracynical

Don't really frequent forums for news like this but for what it's worth this kind of unit just needs to add the capabilities of total mix and allow phantom power on the analog ins such that you can (mis)use it as an audio interface on top of all of its other capabilities and it will be a godsend all-in-one desktop solution for content creators and audio engineers.

8 band peq + 2 additional bands for treble and bass would be awesome as well.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
allow phantom power
I don't understand why we'd need phantom power on a line level input.
Not only I think it's useless, but it's also a source of issues.

For Totalmix, I'm with you.

More ranges for ADC and DAC could also be useful for me (but not for everyone, I guess).
Say, 0, 4, 9, 13, 19, 24, 28dBu.
The 28dBu output is already there in the ADI-2 Pro fs R, if you use the phone balanced out.
On the input, it would allow using preamps like Millennia, as an example, to their full capacity.

A choice between impedances could also help with some tricky cases: Normal and High for the input (to use the device for instruments... or as a voltmeter/oscilloscope), Normal and Low for the output (to drive headphones or low impedance device from the output.)...

Also, the ability to programmatically interact with the device from a PC .Net app : retrieve or set parameters or measured data, backup and restore the configuration (if possible in XLM format)... The last point would also be welcomed for pro users that move from one location to another, I guess.

Oh ! Last but not least: give us DUREC as well ;-)

Last edited:

dracynical

I don't understand why we'd need phantom power on a line level input.
Not only I think it's useless, but it's also a source of issues.
The reasoning is quite simple - portability and ease of use. I would prefer not to carry a preamp/audio interface wherever I go and get the functionality of my portable babyface pro fs within a unit like this so I can monitor with harder-to-drive headphones on a balanced circuit.

Reactions: Zim

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The reasoning is quite simple - portability and ease of use. I would prefer not to carry a preamp/audio interface wherever I go and get the functionality of my portable babyface pro fs within a unit like this so I can monitor with harder-to-drive headphones on a balanced circuit.

But what would be the use of phantom power without a Mic preamp ?

dracynical

But what would be the use of phantom power without a Mic preamp ?
Oh, I meant the unit should provide the preamplification so I don't have to add another product in the chain especially when I work with condenser mics such as the MKH 416 which is very popular here.

Trell

Major Contributor
More info from @MC_RME on the RME user forum:

>>>
The ADI-2/4 Pro SE uses the third entry (red LED) of the included MRC. AD is ES9822Pro, DA is 2*ES9038Q2M. As KaiS explained there are other things that make the difference in real world applications. For example we improved the existing hardware reference levels in two ways: full coverage and one step more (+1, +7, +13, +19, +24 dBu). And made sure that the lower ref levels reach the max in SNR by attenuating at the output (including the self noise of the output opamps).

That gives better results in real world usage than implementing one (two) overpriced ES9038Pro. Which wouldn't fit in here for various other reasons anyway.

Same for the headphone output. Less THD plus less self noise made it possible to add a third power output setting called IEM (max +1 dBu). Should be self-explanatory.

The new ref levels are found everywhere - headphone out is now +19 dBu for high power and +7 dBu for low power. Since the unit has 2.5 dB digital and analog headroom the former +22 dBu is not needed, you can easily reach those scary levels by just upping the volume control.

While working on this new unit we also have ideas that might be ported back to the existing units. For example when trying to minimize power consumption. This might come in a later firmware update.

The biggest difference between the ADI-2 Pro and 2/4 Pro was not properly communicated on these 'pre shows'. As the name indicates the 2/4 has 2 balanced inputs and 4 balanced outputs. Other than the original Pro it can do balanced phones output on DAC 3/4, while DAC 1/2 still feeds the rear XLRs with whatever signal. This removes several limitations and even simplifies operation. To not lose performance (check the description of the Advanced Balanced Mode in the manual) we now use a True Balanced Mode, where the balanced configuration is reached by 3 double relays that change the balanced (or differential) connections between DAC output and the 4 headphone amp inputs so that unbalanced stereo turns into balanced stereo. No phase shift circuit or other electronics are added to the signal path for this.

The additional Pentaconn socket (4.4 mm) is balanced only and switches the phones out to balanced automatically when inserted. In this state it is still possible to use the front TRS and grab the same high quality signal (balanced with up to +28 dBu) as line signal (while you could plug in headphones there as well it doesn't make any sense as the signal then is not stereo but out-of-phase mono).

The TRS on the rear can be switched from source DAC 1/2 (default) to source DAC 3/4 (another relay). This was requested from mastering studios where the ADI is used to add an analog insert for external FX. The phones still work (even balanced), but volume control is the same then (obviously), except for the ref levels that are independent.

A Trigger Output makes it possible to connect any device with trigger input and switch on/off all devices with the ADI's remote simultaneously (power amps...).

There is more to say about the 2/4 Pro SE. Stay tuned.
<<<

reasons

More info from @MC_RME on the RME user forum:

>>>
The ADI-2/4 Pro SE uses the third entry (red LED) of the included MRC. AD is ES9822Pro, DA is 2*ES9038Q2M. As KaiS explained there are other things that make the difference in real world applications. For example we improved the existing hardware reference levels in two ways: full coverage and one step more (+1, +7, +13, +19, +24 dBu). And made sure that the lower ref levels reach the max in SNR by attenuating at the output (including the self noise of the output opamps).

That gives better results in real world usage than implementing one (two) overpriced ES9038Pro. Which wouldn't fit in here for various other reasons anyway.

Same for the headphone output. Less THD plus less self noise made it possible to add a third power output setting called IEM (max +1 dBu). Should be self-explanatory.

The new ref levels are found everywhere - headphone out is now +19 dBu for high power and +7 dBu for low power. Since the unit has 2.5 dB digital and analog headroom the former +22 dBu is not needed, you can easily reach those scary levels by just upping the volume control.

While working on this new unit we also have ideas that might be ported back to the existing units. For example when trying to minimize power consumption. This might come in a later firmware update.

The biggest difference between the ADI-2 Pro and 2/4 Pro was not properly communicated on these 'pre shows'. As the name indicates the 2/4 has 2 balanced inputs and 4 balanced outputs. Other than the original Pro it can do balanced phones output on DAC 3/4, while DAC 1/2 still feeds the rear XLRs with whatever signal. This removes several limitations and even simplifies operation. To not lose performance (check the description of the Advanced Balanced Mode in the manual) we now use a True Balanced Mode, where the balanced configuration is reached by 3 double relays that change the balanced (or differential) connections between DAC output and the 4 headphone amp inputs so that unbalanced stereo turns into balanced stereo. No phase shift circuit or other electronics are added to the signal path for this.

The additional Pentaconn socket (4.4 mm) is balanced only and switches the phones out to balanced automatically when inserted. In this state it is still possible to use the front TRS and grab the same high quality signal (balanced with up to +28 dBu) as line signal (while you could plug in headphones there as well it doesn't make any sense as the signal then is not stereo but out-of-phase mono).

The TRS on the rear can be switched from source DAC 1/2 (default) to source DAC 3/4 (another relay). This was requested from mastering studios where the ADI is used to add an analog insert for external FX. The phones still work (even balanced), but volume control is the same then (obviously), except for the ref levels that are independent.

A Trigger Output makes it possible to connect any device with trigger input and switch on/off all devices with the ADI's remote simultaneously (power amps...).

There is more to say about the 2/4 Pro SE. Stay tuned.
<<<
I cannot wait for this time to release. I wonder how far off we are from it releasing in the states?

stemfencer

Am I missing something here, that it's a full usb interface also? (EDit: could potentially have TotalMix etc as well)

So this could be the unicorn hifi device that whipes out the UCX/UFX etc for those who only need a few channels of I/O?

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I missing something here, that it's a full usb interface also? (EDit: could potentially have TotalMix etc as well)

So this could be the unicorn hifi device that whipes out the UCX/UFX etc for those who only need a few channels of I/O?
Well, that's not exactly the target, I think.
You won't have mic preamps with phantom power, and the number of channels is much more limited.

ayane

Forum Donor
Welp, upgrade time is coming soon, I guess.

On the bright side, I probably don't need the SMSL SP200 anymore if I get this. I've been too lazy to use that ridiculous 2x TRS to 4-pin XLR adapter to get the extra power from my ADI-2 Pro, so it's nice to finally see not only a pentaconn jack, but an additional half watt of power.

If the RMS noise on the headphone outputs is <2 µVrms, it's an instant hit.

Top Bottom