• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

Music1969

Major Contributor
I wonder if this now means 6 independent DAC channels in total?

Or just 4?

6 would be nice !

cheapmessiah

Tks

Major Contributor
Eh, didn't get me excited. I was thinking their next product would be something slightly bigger (4 Pin XLR, bigger screen, Streaming/Media playback capability through external storage perhaps). I assume this will cost even more though, unless they're going to be using the same FPGA which would be pretty weird given all this time and given the limits of being able to add anymore DSP like 10 band PEQ that's been desired for ages now.

jae

Major Contributor
Eh, didn't get me excited. I was thinking their next product would be something slightly bigger (4 Pin XLR, bigger screen, Streaming/Media playback capability through external storage perhaps). I assume this will cost even more though, unless they're going to be using the same FPGA which would be pretty weird given all this time and given the limits of being able to add anymore DSP like 10 band PEQ that's been desired for ages now.
It's a professional product, so I wouldn't really expect a media playback feature. Wiim mini is a cheap option for that. But they could have at least added 4-pin XLR and PEQ. I think a mic pre/48v input would make it a true all-in-one product.

artburda

Damn, I was hoping it had 4 analog inputs, not just 4 outs. Then it would have been truly a jack of all trades. Measurement device, cross-over and standalone audio interface/mixer in combination with an external mic preamp for up to 4 mics. There is the UCX II, but the AD is just -104dB THD+N.

dfuller

Major Contributor
This is a very interesting piece.

storing

Forum Donor
If you don't know, the latest firmware allows to save bass and treble presets, unofficially making the ADI-2 a 7 band PEQ DAC.
Right, I'm actually using that. So: 8/9/10 bands then :) Thing is, I'm like 99% sure it's technically doable: since the device can do EQ in combination with loudness/crossfeed/... and those combined are not going to require less processing time than at least one PEQ band at anything but the highest sampling rates (unless I'm missing something), and there's probably still ample room for more firmware and settings, it should be possible to provide an option to disable loudness/crossfeed if one doesn't need them and get extra EQ band(s). Seeing the number of requests for more EQ bands it also seems feasible from a commercial point of view. Disadvantage is yet another option (but there's so many already that doesn't matter imo) and another failure mode/extra support ('hey RME my loudness does not work' - 'did you turn on option 9.7.2.1 perhaps?' - oh yeah').

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not really announced yet, or is it ?
It looks more like a pre-production, spotted on this fair.

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Load B/T with Preset The current B/T setting is always stored with the EQ Preset, but only loaded (automatically set and activated) when this option has been set to ON. The Bode plot then shows the effect of the B/T setting as well, and Bass and Treble controls are added as bands BB and BT for direct control within the graphical EQ screen, turning the 5-band PEQ into a 7-band one.

Wow, that's very cool. Now there are two more bands within the menu so it really does give us 7 band PEQ now.

Edit: Hmm...looks like there are limitations on the use of BB and BT. BB only goes up to 150 in frequency. BT goes from 3k to 10k. And they can only be used as low/high shelves.

Last edited:

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's a professional product, so I wouldn't really expect a media playback feature. Wiim mini is a cheap option for that. But they could have at least added 4-pin XLR and PEQ. I think a mic pre/48v input would make it a true all-in-one product.
The 4 pin XLR is good marketing but unless the HPA operates in bridge mode a TRS to 4 pin XLR is all that's required.

Noob

The 4 pin XLR is good marketing but unless the HPA operates in bridge mode a TRS to 4 pin XLR is all that's required.
It's balanced out is pentacon, so a pentacon to 4-pin adaptor would be the appropriate accessory.

With all these new features and probably some upgrade in performance, I expect this to be a pricy unit. They seem to be crafting a device with no real competition in the market due to the extremely packed feature-set.

The big issue will be how usable and intuitive they can make the interface to navigate all these different settings and functions.

ethanhallbeyer

Since I don't need balanced connection and definitely not more power, I will stick to the predecessor. But if RME would provide a 10+ PEQ.......:p:p
man i thought the prior versions had balanced XLR.... like ADI-2 Pro and Black Edition... guess not!

ethanhallbeyer

What does this offer that the adi2 pro black edition doesnt have? Better dac, more power and more eq options? Or is there more to it?

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What does this offer that the adi2 pro black edition doesnt have? Better dac, more power and more eq options? Or is there more to it?
There is overall more DSP power, and it is not yet specified what RME is going to implement with it.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Along with 2 new independent outputs channels 3 and 4.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to say at that stage.
Better DAC and/or ADC ? We don't know yet.

From what we read: the rear jack (now TRS instead of TS) may be used for Output 3/4, the DSP will be more powerful, allowing more EQ bands, there is a balanced phone plug (where you needed to use the 2 front jacks with an adapter), and the phones amp in balanced mode is slightly more powerful, it seems (was 2.9W before)
No revolution that we know of at that stage.

Now, if they swapped DAC and ADC to ESS, as is likely, due to AKM delivery problems, we may see some further performance improvement there.
Expect a few dB improvement maximum (previous model is already VERY performant. Much more than the (arbitrary) 4V SINAD ranking suggests.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom