• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
silly question, can the gain available in "RIAA mode" (up to +38dB) allow the unit to be used as a quasi-mic-pre, without enabling the RIAA DSP curve?[/USER]

Basically yes. Still we will not enable this functionality as it would be misleading. A mic input has typically below 2 kOhm input impedance, the 90 kOhm of the ADI-2/4 are a total mismatch and will reduce performance and affect the mic's behavior/specs. And as already said going this route would also require phantom power support.

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A mic input has typically below 2 kOhm input impedance, the 90 kOhm of the ADI-2/4 are a total mismatch and will reduce performance and afect the mic's behavior/specs.
Which makes me wonder how we could characterize this better with measurements.

Dynamic Microphones, like most transducers, have an impedance that varies with frequency.
This, combined with cable characteristics and various preamps' input impedance may lead to some frequency response change.
(For transistor condenser microphones, that should be much less of an issue)

Common word across sound engineers is that the main difference between a low end mic preamp and a high end one is in low frequencies.

From my own measurements, I see one difference is the dynamic range at LOW gain (typically used with high output level condenser microphones)
(Actually, I think it's more a limitation of the ADC stage)
4914967.jpeg

Now, I found this plot of the Shure SM57 output impedance
tumblr_inline_n44iw4OFQH1ru4bau.jpg

(Source Audient)
(That's just impedance amplitude, not angle.)

Ideally, we should have a way to predict the frequency response of any mic/preamp(/cable) combination.
For that, we'd need not only the FR and impedance of each microphone, but also the same for the preamp.
(Not to speak about directivity -with distance- induced frequency response, which is massive.)

And, still, even if we could predict all that, that would be very hard to translate into real life experience.

So is the quest for a microphone pre-amp relevant set of measurements a vain quest ?

OK, this is completely off topic here.

Last edited:

Vitalstatistix

Hi everyone - forgive me I'm new here. I've got the Focal Clear and the Arche and have never used a RME product before. I know the DAC part is exceptional, but how does the headphone amp part of the ADI-2/4 Pro stack up against its competitors? Can I use it well as a combined DAC/amp?

It should be the best headphone amp they've ever released, going on stats alone, BUT I don't actually know anyone who has received one yet. I've been waiting with my pre-order for about a month now. I haven't heard of any out in the field, other than that MC from RME already has one. Reports should start trickling in once people actually have them.

Trell

Major Contributor
Hi everyone - forgive me I'm new here. I've got the Focal Clear and the Arche and have never used a RME product before. I know the DAC part is exceptional, but how does the headphone amp part of the ADI-2/4 Pro stack up against its competitors? Can I use it well as a combined DAC/amp?

Like the RME ADI-2 DAC/Pro it’s a great combined DAC/headphone amp. Compared to the Pro it will be better for sensitive IEM because of less noise.

What sets the ADI-2 DAC/Pro and ADI-2/4 apart from other excellent combos is the onboard DSP, as well as many other features.

If you don’t need an ADC or balanced headphone output, go with the ADI-2 DAC FS that is much cheaper.

I was browsing my Thomann wish list today and saw the 2/4 was finally in stock! I got bored waiting for my Italian distributor (and Thomann was cheaper too...) so I placed the order immediately. I just checked and it's showing "available in several months" again, so I think I just got super lucky checking when I did. Fingers crossed I actually got it (they confirmed my order but haven't charged my account yet). If it's really true I'll report back as soon as I have it, stuff usually takes about a week from Thomann to Italy. Can't wait!

[EDIT] Shipped, I should have it next week!

Last edited:

FINFET

Forum Donor
Edit: sold out.
Thomann in stock again for now, not sure how long it's going to last.

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I got mine yesterday. Just scratching the surface (and scratching my head a lot) but it certainly sounds great! It will take a while to get to know such a complex device and set it up how I like, but the manual is great and I will get there!

Main annoyance so far is a quick way to change the input source from SPDIF optical (my TV with streaming services etc.) to my PC with USB, going to the main 1/2 outputs. It seems multiple screens and button pushes are needed at the moment, but there must be an easier way.

Also need to investigate how to get it to SRC everything to 96kHz, but it will just be a lot of time with the manual I think.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got mine yesterday.
Congratulations !
It will take a while to get to know such a complex device and set it up how I like, but the manual is great and I will get there!
That's part of the fun :)
Main annoyance so far is a quick way to change the input source from SPDIF optical (my TV with streaming services etc.) to my PC with USB, going to the main 1/2 outputs.
Isn't that automatic ?
Otherwise you may use the remote control.
Also need to investigate how to get it to SRC everything to 96kHz, but it will just be a lot of time with the manual I think.
In Setup menu, you have clock and SPDIF sub menus. You should find what you need there.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for super fast replies! Most of the buttons on my remote do nothing, only the volume buttons seem to work. Will keep playing with it today.
You have to configure the remote to work with the Pro. Out of the box, it is probably configured for the DAC.
A small manipulation done once.
Read this section of the manual.

9. RME Multi-Remote Control (MRC)

The included infrared remote control, manufactured exclusively for RME, offers an almost complete remote control in a clear way. It is pre-set to control the ADI-2 DAC. Pressing a button therefore causes the SEL(ect) LED to light up green. To control the ADI-2/4 Pro SE code table 3 needs to be activated so that the SEL LED lights up in red color. If the LED shows green, orange or blue color, another code table is active that is not compatible with the ADI-2/4 Pro SE.
To change the code table:

• Keep SEL pressed until the LED lights up constantly.
  • Press button 3. The LED turns red and then off. The remote control now works with the ADI2/4 Pro SE.

I reset whole device to start from scratch, just in case...

Thanks. Yeah I did that, hold SEL and press 3 on remote, still didn't work, until I saw the bit in the manual "Note: SETUP – Options – SPDIF/Remap Keys - Remap Keys must be set to ON or Remote", it was set to OFF, so turning it on fixed it!

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks for super fast replies! Most of the buttons on my remote do nothing, only the volume buttons seem to work. Will keep playing with it today.
That is not correct - all buttons work except the disabled ones from the Remap section (buttons 1 to 7). Of course B/T+- will do nothing as long as B/T hasn't been switched on.

Still you found a bug - Remap set to Off is not intentional, after reset this setting should be on 'Remote'. Too late now for the first shipped units, sorry for that.

Alou

Thanks for the post!
,for me the pic is little blurry anyone can spot the "goodies"inside ?

Top Bottom