• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE

staticV3

Master Contributor
One of the official features of the 2/4 Pro SE is

But whenever I insert headphones into Phones 3/4, then Line 1/2 on the rear goes "off". What is the problem and how to avoid it? It doesn't matter if I use single ended headphones into TRS plug 3/4 or balanced headphones into Pentaconn plug.
It's never a bad idea to read the User Manual :)
Screenshot_20240118-235716_Drive.png

asrUser

need a tl;dr manual :rolleyes:
If only the default options weren't awful.

Now I can use Pentaconn, both TRS into XLR adapter and Rear 1/2 simultaneously.

Last edited:

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You are right. If it's possible on ADI-2 DAC (price: $1,400) and ADI-2 Pro (price $2,000) to keep Phone/IEM/Line out settings separate...
...why is it "impossible" on a ADI 2/4 Pro SE, which is using a higher end chip and is priced at $2,500?
Because the memory is limited, and the 2/4 Pro SE already has one settings page more (Phones 1/2) than the 2-Pro. The 2-DAC does not even have more than 2 out channels, so memory was used for 'shadow' pages that hold the settings of currently unused outputs.

Last edited:

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So volume settings of 3/4 and 3/4 Phones are also coupled? The manual didn't say so or maybe it's drawn on one of the diagrams which I don't really understand anyway. The texts only mentioned 1/2 Phones and 1/2 rear being coupled.
The way the rear TRS are switched onto the DAC 3/4 part is easily understood by looking at the unit's block diagram at the end of the manual, not the diagrams explaining the various 'Basic Modes'. And the manual clearly says:

Rear TRS Source (only Phones Out 3/4)
Line 1/2, Phones 3/4. Default: Line 1/2. The rear TRS outputs can be switched from Line Out 1/2 to Phones 3/4 as source. See block diagram chapter 34.29. The settings of Phones Out 3/4 are then also active for TRS, including the Ref Level. The Line Ref Level +13 dBu is therefore not available.

It should be clear that a fully independent output TRS 3/4 requires 2 more DAC channels (6 in total).

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the official features of the 2/4 Pro SE is

But whenever I insert headphones into Phones 3/4, then Line 1/2 on the rear goes "off". What is the problem and how to avoid it? It doesn't matter if I use single ended headphones into TRS plug 3/4 or balanced headphones into Pentaconn plug.
Disable auto mute as I quoted from the manual

21.5.The menu includes an option to turn off the rear outputs as soon as a connector is plugged into the PH 3/4 jack. Default is Mute On when plugged."

asrUser

It should be clear that a fully independent output TRS 3/4 requires 2 more DAC channels (6 in total).
The ES3038 Pro and newer ones got 8 channels in total. No idea if brands like Topping ever use it to the fullest, but ADI devices might benefit from it. Then again this DAC would require RME to redesign much more compared to ES3038Q2M?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ES3038 Pro and newer ones got 8 channels in total
That's the main difference with the 9038Q2M, if I understood it well.
To get best rating SINAD, some brand are combining 4 or even all 8 channels to do one channel.
This lowers the noise (not the distortions).

That has little other use than shining here (or allow those DACs to beat Amir's AP), to be honnest.

Devices like the RME UCX II or the higher I/O counts UFX II or UFX III are using multiple channels DAC chips, I suppose.

Top Bottom