• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
MQA had a suite that was open half hour early so I went there before the show opened. To my surprise their demo equipment was not Meridian but MSB with YG speakers!

093A6541.jpg

I got there before a group of press joined. Of course I already had the best seat in the house. Hehe. :D

My professional colleague and friend Bob Stuart ushered them in:
093A6543.jpg

He then handed the baton to head of MSB Sales which started a long, long pitch about their equipment with zero mention of MQA! I thought it was quite inappropriate as this was MQA booth, not their own.

093A6544.jpg

He also had to keep referring to his cell phone for notes.

The DAC was the "Select Signature" or some such thing with "33 femtosecond" clock.
093A6546.jpg

Notice the MQA prompt. Later Bob Stuart mentioned that the first number in the display, i.e. 24 above, may be incorrect.

Bob said that they had profiled a ton of analog to digital converters. He also said that he is totally dedicated to MQA now! Clearly they turned up the heat as the entire 8th floor suites practically had MQA support and signage.

Back to MSB, we eventually got to hear some tunes.

First up was this: http://www.shazam.com/track/64071180/midnight-sugar#referrer=shz.am

R-1267816-1380814367-9053.jpeg.jpg

This sounded exceptional!

The MSB sales guy said in blind test he always picked MQA as sounding better.

Next they played Forest by Snow Arimasa ユキ アリマサ
cover170x170.jpeg

Bob Stuart then queued up Quiet Winter Night by Hoff Ensemble was recorded in DXD at 24-bit/352 Khz using microphones with 100 Khz response but streamed at 1 mbit/sec over Tidal live: http://www.shazam.com/track/102633761/blågutten#referrer=shz.am

format33028.jpg

Not sure if this was the track or some other:

MSB salesperson said MQA is an upgrade card for existing DAC owners. I was surprised as before he had talked at length about how future proof their DACs are due to use of two DSPs. I asked why they did not modify the DSP and Bob interjected saying it was faster/more convenient to put in a new card???

Overall, a very strong showing and excellent partnership with MSB as they always do a great job with their hardware.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Keith_W

Major Contributor
MSB salesperson said MQA is an upgrade card for existing DAC owners. I was surprised as before he had talked at length about how future proof their DACs are due to use of two DSPs. I asked why they did not modify the DSP and Bob interjected saying it was faster/more convenient to put in a new card???

Very insightful question there, Amir. If I am not mistaken, MSB DAC's are based on FPGA's. Given the "P" in "FPGA" stands for "programmable", surely all they need to do to support MQA would be to provide a firmware update.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Given the "P" in "FPGA" stands for "programmable", surely all they need to do to support MQA would be to provide a firmware update.

After it gets written, or libraries licensed and integrated without breaking everything else.

A chip on a card with a click to select that input might be more expedient.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Amir, your photo's a little blurry, but Bob Stuart looks totally loaded.
Maybe running it thru his temporal de-blurring gear could straighten him out? :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
:). Some of it is my fault as I only had a second to take a picture of him before people rushed in front of me. I talked to him afterward and his spirit was more positive than what is in the picture. :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Amir, your photo's a little blurry, but Bob Stuart looks totally loaded.
Maybe running it thru his temporal de-blurring gear could straighten him out? :D
Nah that's what happens to Bob and indeed the atmosphere around him when he's trying to work out why he developed MQA and how to it get to market...

Amir just took the picture of what's was there..

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's NOT DRM, It's NOT DRM, It's NOT DRM.
Why won't they listen?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
It's NOT DRM, It's NOT DRM, It's NOT DRM.
Why won't they listen?

This bit on the MQA website amused me

Director of Marketing
Lisa Sullivan, MQA’s Director of Marketing, brings over 15 years experience in Marketing and PR. After graduating from Middlesex University with a BA Honours Degree in Criminology,

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This bit on the MQA website amused me

Director of Marketing
Lisa Sullivan, MQA’s Director of Marketing, brings over 15 years experience in Marketing and PR. After graduating from Middlesex University with a BA Honours Degree in Criminology,
ROTFLMAO!

Top Bottom