• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RMAF: Krell

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I must say, the new Krell products like this integrated DAC/amp don't look anything like the Krell amps I remember.

093A6568.jpg

093A6570.jpg
093A6573.jpg
093A6575.jpg
093A6574.jpg
093A6576.jpg

Not sure I am a fan of these tiny fans behind part of the heatsink. The Krell that I remember would have used large heatsinks and passive cooling.
093A6578.jpg
093A6579.jpg
093A6572.jpg
093A6569.jpg
093A6581.jpg

Notice the little microprocessor board using NXP ARM CPU/SoC as I explained in the Sonore MicroRendu tear down: http://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...ore-microrendu-hardware-tear-down-review.770/
093A6577.jpg
093A6571.jpg

Note that all music was digital despite the LP above.
Crazy Mama by J.J. Cale. http://shz.am/t2901585

Sounded OK. Decent imaging of vocal.

Attachments

• 093A6580.jpg
    093A6580.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 210

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Not sure I am a fan of these tiny fans behind part of the heatsink. The Krell that I remember would have used large heatsinks and passive cooling.

Sounded OK

I have a 3-speed computer fan (on low) sitting on one of my audiophile bricks next to my older exposed heatsinks, so I guess I have active passive cooling. The original function of the brick on the carpet was to tell my foot not to step on the relatively unsupported edge of the glass shelf upon which the amplifier sits.

Sounds OK here too.

I didn't like Dan D' being forced out of Krell, but I don't care for the direction he took afterwards either at Dan D’Agostino Master Audio Systems. So, no fanboy (maybe that's a bad pun in this case since the topic became fans) of Krell, but I'm happy with the ones I have, from, I think, December of 2005.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I must say, the new Krell products like this integrated DAC/amp don't look anything like the Krell amps I remember.
They've struggled very hard to develop a new, positive brand identity of their own ever since the divorcee from the D'agostino's. For whatever reasons I've detected a lot of bad blood not only in with those involved on both sides but also with the customer base. "Divorce" is a good descriptor here seeing the fighting for and dividing up of friends, who's side your on, etc. If you've been there you know what I mean. LOL

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They've struggled very hard to develop a new, positive brand identity of their own ever since the divorcee from the D'agostino's. For whatever reasons I've detected a lot of bad blood not only in with those involved on both sides but also with the customer base. "Divorce" is a good descriptor here seeing the fighting for and dividing up of friends, who's side your on, etc. If you've been there you know what I mean. LOL
I am with you on this.. Since he left, Krell mojo within the High End Audio community seems to have diminished. At least in the US. I sincerely thought that the D'Agostino venture wasn't going to fly.. It did to a certain extent. Many audiophiles seem to need One or perhaps a couple ( Conrad & Johnson) being one of the few exemples person to ground their belief: The Guru, the One with the special skills. Once they perceive a committee or a group of Engineers or rather a research lab they are less convinced. I know of only a few High End with the real knack for advertising that have properly managed the transition for when the Guru has to retire .. At this point in time no one has done it better than Wilson Audio. A mind-meld was performed there ... :p .. Joking; they are quietly but efficiently transferring the Mantle to Darryl Wilson, dropping his name in the design of the new line of speakers ( Alexia, Alexx, Yvette, etc) and particularly claiming his input in the design of the new WAMM.. BTW a superb marketing example... A speaker no one has heard but whose has garnered a level of interest I am sure most High End company are jealous of... hat off to them ... Another example much more sedate but no less efficient is Magnepan. Jim Winey was The Man, a quiet , effaced person, now it is clear that Mark Winey, his son runs the show with the same efficiency. Price are about the same and models too... Not much fuss there just churning great products at a great price year after year. ...Oooops OT ... Bad poster! Bad Poster! :(

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I have a 3-speed computer fan (on low) sitting on one of my audiophile bricks next to my older exposed heatsinks, so I guess I have active passive cooling. The original function of the brick on the carpet was to tell my foot not to step on the relatively unsupported edge of the glass shelf upon which the amplifier sits.

Sounds OK here too.

I didn't like Dan D' being forced out of Krell, but I don't care for the direction he took afterwards either at Dan D’Agostino Master Audio Systems. So, no fanboy (maybe that's a bad pun in this case since the topic became fans) of Krell, but I'm happy with the ones I have, from, I think, December of 2005.
That was quite the board meeting when Dan got kicked out by all accounts lol

They committed brand Suicide after Dan left making monstrously ugly products. I can't believe they are still in business tbh.

Iv had several krell products the last of which was the fpb 300c ..most of my early stuff was krell.

There's the bully audio stuff to that seems to be krell reborn, from dans son? Can't remember his name.

Last edited:
Top Bottom