• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RMAF 2018 - Tickets bought. Anyone else going?

Sythrix

I secured my tickets for all three days. Last year I went for two days and really didn't see as much as I should have.

Mostly hung out at CanJam, but I think I missed out on seeing a lot of good stuff.

I know it's kind of a ways off, over a month (Oct 5 - 7), but I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone else was going and what they planned on doing.

OP
Sythrix

Sythrix

I have gone the previous years but I am on the fence this year.

Well I live 20 minutes away, so it's kind of a given for me. :)

Last year I was obsessed with IEMs and it kind of stole my attention away from some really cool stuff.

OP
Sythrix

Sythrix

If I lived that close, I would definitely go too. At some $1,500 for the cost of the trip and hassle of flying, I tend to want to sit it out.

I can understand that. That's how I felt about Comic Con in California after a couple of years. Just wasn't worth the hassle and the expense.

FunctionalDoc

I am going again this year spent 90% of my time in the Can Jam since 2 channel gear prices have are so inflated today. i just can't wrap my head around a pair of mono block amps for over $100K and turntables for $150,00.

I hope to see you Amir .

OP
Sythrix

Sythrix

i just can't wrap my head around a pair of mono block amps for over $100K and turntables for $150,00

Jesus. They really know how to bleed people dry.

I'm mostly into headphones, but I've started to wonder about speaker setups for if I ever get a house or something.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe Amir could put together some sort of USB powered portable measuring rig, and measure as many items at RMAF as they'll let him.

Probably a little late for this year, but maybe better would be if we funded Amir a spot at RMAF. Then he could publicize it and let people bring gear to him to measure. Rather like the McIntosh clinics of old.

OP
Sythrix

Sythrix

Probably a little late for this year, but maybe better would be if we funded Amir a spot at RMAF. Then he could publicize it and let people bring gear to him to measure. Rather like the McIntosh clinics of old.

We could set him up right next to the Schiit booth. ;)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Maybe Amir could put together some sort of USB powered portable measuring rig, and measure as many items at RMAF as they'll let him.

I’m for this , I think Iv mentined it in the passed too..

We could all go, it would be hilarious .

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Audio Precision is usually there advertizing that they measure gear for people but I have never seen anyone take them up on it!

Wombat

Master Contributor
Audio Precision is usually there advertizing that they measure gear for people but I have never seen anyone take them up on it!

I'd love to see the Serious Stereo products tested.
9images2.jpg

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well never been to RMAF, and never recall reading that AP has such an offer or was even in attendance. So bad idea it looks like.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well never been to RMAF, and never recall reading that AP has such an offer or was even in attendance. So bad idea it looks like.
It was not a bad idea. I don't think most people going to the show knew who AP was. Or the value of measurements. Things may be different now.

I also think that someone like me doing it will be more inviting than going into a company suite and trying to get the same done.

So good idea for the long term to get a bunch of stuff tested.

My related idea is at some point having a get together in a few cities and have discussions and measurements. There is a need for something in between AES conference and typical audiophile show....

OP
Sythrix

Sythrix

AP is in room 3014 this year according to the list.

I might go check em out, but I get nervous just thinking about trying to bring any of my gear and have it measured, if that's something they do. I wouldn't want to carry it around or have it in the car.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I am going to RMAF for the first (and last?) time this year.

Multichannel Music: The Promise and the Problems @ Marriott Aspen Amphitheater, Lobby Level Oct 7 @ 9:30 am – 10:30 am
Moderator: Andrew Quint, The Absolute Sound
Speakers: Kalman Rubinson, Stereophile; Brian Moura, NativeDSD & Channel Classics technical advisor

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I am going to RMAF for the first (and last?) time this year.

Multichannel Music: The Promise and the Problems @ Marriott Aspen Amphitheater, Lobby Level Oct 7 @ 9:30 am – 10:30 am
Moderator: Andrew Quint, The Absolute Sound
Speakers: Kalman Rubinson, Stereophile; Brian Moura, NativeDSD & Channel Classics technical advisor
Wow. Sounds great. Glad I got you and Andy together awhile back now. Different, competitive magazines and different orientations, but a shared love of Mch music, and music in general. I don't know Brian, but I have no doubt he really knows his stuff, working as he does with Jared Sacks and Tom Caulfield. Sounds like a top notch panel.

Wish I could be there with you. But, alas, I will be home with my wife and listening to lovely Mch music. I'll talk to Andy in depth over cigars and wine when he gets back.

Top Bottom