• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RMAF 2016

Mark Seaton

Technical Expert
Amir - It was nice to catch up with you in the room this weekend. I'm enjoying seeing your updates to the reviews including the good, the bad and the ugly. The new AC units in the rooms are a royal PITA acoustically, making for a very asymmetrical space, but they did work great to cool the room effectively and quickly when on.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Mark. It was a pleasure to finally have time to catch up with you in person. Thank you for the very warm reception. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in your suite and humbled by the attention you provided to me. I just post my impressions in this thread: http://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/rmaf-2016-seaton-sound.857/

On A/C, I suffered so much physically last year by hot, stuffy and at times, super smelly by people who don't believe in taking showers, that I was OK with the compromise this year. :) But I can imagine it being hell on companies trying to optimize rooms that have become that much smaller in one dimension. Hearing the sound in your suite though, none of that trouble was evident to my ears. I enjoyed every bit of it.

fas42

Major Contributor
I'll echo Thomas's comments elsewhere about Amir going to all this effort to document what was at the show - it's time consuming, fiddly, and probably was thoroughly irksome by the end of it; I appreciate the energy and thought that went into it, thanks Amir.

Just to add to a previous post where I mentioned a YouTube channel with decent quality sound bites of some of the gear, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpZH8wRfvZq4x9hTP2exH-g: this has been done in about an unprofessional manner as possible, terrible camera technique, no titling or comments - but, 192Kbps audio quality, and it's easy to hear the benefit; contrast this to Peter Breuniger's https://www.youtube.com/user/AVshowreports where the apparent contrast couldn't be greater - but, Peter has still trapped himself into 126Kbps sound, and his first system clip from there, just posted, does no favours to the rig, as a result.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks Frank. I am interested in your findings of how to get Youtube to encode the highest bit rate video on upload. Do you mind creating a new thread on that? One of these days I will be doing some video uploads and love to be able to find the info.

fas42

Major Contributor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One of the highlights for me on any trip -- business or personal -- is sampling food. Last year at RMAF had a great choice of food trucks. This year I did not see any on the first day. I asked the front desk and they said there is not any food trucks. So imagine my surprise when they had a row of them in the parking lot! A lot of people must have complained.

First day I sampled some woodfired Pizza which was good. The second day I decided to try Manna Food Truck which had the longest line:

093A7340.jpg

It took 15+ minutes to get through the line. And once there, another 15 minutes to get the food. Was pretty grumpy to have lost so much time from the show. The Ban Mi sandwich was good and quite spicey. Not worth the wait but not disappointing either. It came with Pot Stickers that were quite nice.

denydog

Amir,
I also want to thank you for your 2016 RMAF reporting. It's the best I've seen for my purpose of reliving the experience of the show, as well as filling in many of the details that I missed. The music information and links are also a great help as I didn't take enough notes.

btw- We haven't met, but I did purchase my current speakers at your store a few years ago.

denydog

Revel F208. I bought into Harmon's target of flat response, on and off axis. This after owning speakers seemingly designed by trial and error. (more error than trial apparently)

fas42

Major Contributor
Speaker boxes? We don't need no steenkin' speaker boxes ...

fas42

Major Contributor
OK, missed that post, sorry ...

Top Bottom