• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RMAF 2016

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Welcome to the coverage of RMAF high-end audio show at ASR Forum. As some of you may have heard, there was fair amount of negative vibe regarding this year's show. Reason was the delayed finishing of a major remodel at the Marriott Hotel in Denver where the show is held. A few companies pulled out of exhibiting and gloom and doom was predicted.

I had a lot of fun last year covering RMAF and meeting a lot of people face to face so took a gamble and I came. Boy, were the curmudgeons wrong! The first day was wonderful. The suites are much more modern and outside of some exceptions, the rooms were just fine. Temperature control was excellent and there were no loud window air conditioners destroying the sonics.

Attendance was a bit lighter than normal which was great for me! :) Best news is that there was not one single stinking male waking around. Last year the rooms were hot, everyone was sweating, and many were stinking to high heaven. So bad it was that you had to hold you breath the entire time in the elevator. I kid you not! This year there was none of that. Rooms were comfortable temp wise and everyone had taken showers and smelled just fine! :)

Denver weather is gorgeous this time of year with sunny and moderate temps.

On the down side, they lost my badge for the second year in a row! :( After waiting 15 minutes in line, they told me they could not find my badge. So I had to get a temporary one again. Scotty was there and his badge was lost too. Folks were very nice though and searched and searched after which gave me a blank badge. So all was well at the end.

Here is a shot of the hotel lobby as I was walking there with cars chasing me :)

093A6539.jpg

As you see, it is super nice and ultra modern now.

Here are the tents ("pods") as they call it that was the parts of the hotel that was not yet finished.

093A6538.jpg

Have not yet gone into them so will report on that later.

I have neary 230 pictures to post. I will get started on them and hopefully finish before going to bed.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
there were no loud window air conditioners

I've suffered quite a few of those myself, but somehow it just never occurred to me they would be part of the hotel room audio show environment, of all things...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Had planned to go but all the blowback made it seem less worth it... I really wanted to check out Sanders and a few other places, but can't really afford any of it anyway. Was 24 degF and we got a light dusting of snow a couple of mornings ago but today is gorgeous (my house is about an hour south of Denver but more than 2000' higher). I skimmed the list of exhibitors and it was longer than I expected though I am not sure how many might have backed out.

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Thanks, Amir, for your efforts -- much appreciated! :cool:
-Sam

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Running off to the show in a minute. Just a quick report on the second day. The show was busier and there was a ton to see including some amazing setups. It was a long day though ending in a tape session at UHD's booth that went until 10:30pm.

Some of the best sounds were VTL and Wilson and Giya.

Rooms were still comfortable with the exception of some that were running tubes and keeping the AC off. Fortunately that was a minority.

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
What were some of the titles, if you recall, from the tape session? :)

fas42

Major Contributor
For those who like to use their ears ... :), here's a new player on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpZH8wRfvZq4x9hTP2exH-g. Why I mention him is that he's someone who by design or accident has managed to get 192Kbps quality on the audio - listen at 720p setting for this.

Edit: ... and first time I've heard these speakers being used intelligently,

Last edited:

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Top Bottom