• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RMAF 2016: Hsu Subwoofers

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
093A7125.jpg
093A7126.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hsu is a manufacturer of reasonably priced subwoofers, sold direct. They may have moved on to making main speakers. Not sure. What I am sure of is that doing video at an audio show, and having it be on a tiny screen like that is not wise. This was an ordinary home theater playing some movie. Dark room, no one to talk to, etc. So I took the one picture and left.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Strange. Satellite speakers in photo are not his current HB-1 MK2's that I have here and I just checked his site and those are still the only ones being shown? Maybe some prototypes?
Otherwise I've owned Dr Hsu's products since his earliest commercial subs (7ft tall HRSW-12's) back around 1991-2. A stereo pair could produce incredible bass to well below 20hz in my room at levels high enough to almost hang with my LaScala's :D
In my personal dealings with him over 25 years he is a dedicated engineer and a true hands on gentleman at running the company. I've talked to him a number of times on the phone and he continues to answer many posts personally on the support forum. He represents the best of the best in customer relations in the HiFi industry.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did a search and those are indeed new speakers: http://www.soundstageglobal.com/ind...208-rmaf-2016-features/655-rmaf-2016-speakers

spk_hsu2.jpg

"For me, the most exciting introduction at RMAF was the Hsu Research CCB-8, a new stand-mounted speaker that works for stereo or for any channel of a home-theater system. It uses an 8” woofer with a tweeter mounted concentrically behind the woofer magnet. The tweeter vents through a hollow pole piece, which in conjunction with the woofer cone forms a constant-directivity horn. Price is expected to be about $699 per pair. Hsu also introduced two new subwoofers: the $399 VTF-1 Mk3 and the $539 VTF-2 Mk5 (shown at left in the photo), which respectively have 10” and 12” woofers. Both are front-firing versions of older, down-firing models."

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir,
How very cool, I've always believed something was missed when coaxial designs totally fell out of favor. I may have to get Dr Hsu to ship me a pair to test when he releases them, just up my alley in many ways.
"This photo shows the tweeter diaphragm of the Hsu Research CCB-8, behind the acoustically transparent dust cap. Famed speaker designer, audio writer, and AES Gold Medal recipient Don Keele consulted on the design. Sensitivity is rated at 94dB."

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
That tweeter looks to be set rather deeply.

How does that bode for the broad, smooth dispersion everyone thinks they prefer?

I see, it's a horn. It's "constant directivity".

Is it sealed or ported?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That tweeter looks to be set rather deeply.

How does that bode for the broad, smooth dispersion everyone thinks they prefer?

I see, it's a horn. It's "constant directivity".
Is it sealed or ported?
Yes thanks Ray, good find.
Amir, Hope you get a chance to hear them at the CES and report.
In his talk on the new subwoofers he mentions lowered pricing on both. New and improved forward fireing design, higher power amp, and lower cost; how often do you hear that. LOL

I was at the RMAF. I heard the new HSU CCB-8 speakers, in fact I went back to the room 3 times. My general impression was that they were very good at creating a wide as well as vertical image. There seemed to be a fair amount of interest in them and I think most people enjoyed the sound (as did I). This was my first time listening to a coaxial design like this. I was considering KEF speakers because of the point source so I had to check these out. Dr Hsu said that they expected to be in production in January at a cost of around $700 per pair (Kevin the marketing rep said they might offer a 3.0 or 3.1 package deal). The tweeter is indeed set pretty far back but the dispersion didn't seem to suffer because of it. They are rear ported although when I asked Dr Hsu how close they could be to a back wall, he seemed to think that only a couple of inches would be required, I'm not really sure about how that might effect base response being so close as the demo had them on stands well away from the wall. Overall, I am interested in them. On a side note, when I showed pictures of them to my wife, she commented that she wasn't entirely thrilled with the yellow cones. They do come with a grill, but the yellow does show through somewhat. They may have a low WAF unless they get a less see through grill, although this is based on a sample of just one (wife) :)

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Black?

Coming right up!

img_0769.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was at the RMAF. I heard the new HSU CCB-8 speakers, in fact I went back to the room 3 times. My general impression was that they were very good at creating a wide as well as vertical image. There seemed to be a fair amount of interest in them and I think most people enjoyed the sound (as did I). This was my first time listening to a coaxial design like this. I was considering KEF speakers because of the point source so I had to check these out. Dr Hsu said that they expected to be in production in January at a cost of around $700 per pair (Kevin the marketing rep said they might offer a 3.0 or 3.1 package deal). The tweeter is indeed set pretty far back but the dispersion didn't seem to suffer because of it. They are rear ported although when I asked Dr Hsu how close they could be to a back wall, he seemed to think that only a couple of inches would be required, I'm not really sure about how that might effect base response being so close as the demo had them on stands well away from the wall. Overall, I am interested in them. On a side note, when I showed pictures of them to my wife, she commented that she wasn't entirely thrilled with the yellow cones. They do come with a grill, but the yellow does show through somewhat. They may have a low WAF unless they get a less see through grill, although this is based on a sample of just one :)
Welcome to the forum and thanks so much for sharing your experience with Hsu. I keep getting asked about them and had nothing else to offer. :p

Top Bottom